Author Topic: Breaking the bank, what's the price?  (Read 12109 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Breaking the bank, what's the price?
« on: July 31, 2004, 09:04 AM »
Rumors from the orient point to the fact that Episode III figures could potentially cost as much as 12 dollars USD. A scarey thought I know. Let's just hope this dosen't happen. Because if it does, the line may very well end, and the figures will forever sit on the pegs at Toys R Us.

So my question to you is, how much are you willing to pay for Revenge figures? And if indeed they are outrageously priced, will you wait for them to go on clearance and risk later waves being impossible to find?

I think I'd buy a few, but wait for clearance on the armybuilders.

AND (to anwser my first question) I wouldn't pay more than 7 dollars really. Episode I was outrageoues, but I could live with that for about a year.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Breaking the bank, what's the price?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 11:27 AM »
$12? For figures with action features? Forget that.

That would mean these couldn't sell to children, their "target market", so I don't think there's any way in hell the price will be that high.

If they go back to the $7 price point, that's a bad idea too.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 03:06 PM »
$12?  I won't pay that for any SW figure.  Good lord.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 03:55 PM »
I agree completely, read this in I think, the GalacticHunter fourms? I just felt like I should pass along the possibility.

Here's hoping they keep the price at 4.99 and whatever it is abroad.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 08:38 PM »
$12? Unless they have a crapload of articulation and accessories, as well as a good sculpt, then no way.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2004, 09:20 PM »
No effin way would I pay 12.99 for a SW figure. Unless Todd McFarlane sculpted them himself... :-*

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2004, 02:33 PM »
NO WAY IN HELL.  $5 is the perfect price for us and the retailers.  

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2004, 04:34 PM »
$13?

I'd not heard this.  :)

If it's the case, I'm out...  I'll easily give up this hobby...  No figure's worth that price.  As it stands, VOTC aren't mre than $5 on flashy limited packaging.  They're not $13 figures, and they're F'n awesome.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2004, 04:40 PM »
I've been worrying about this all week, I'm wondering if people looking at the Episode III  Package and thinking Shrek packaging might have missed the point that there may be a scale change coming.  

I can't see them doing it, but that would be the only way to justify a price hike, 6" figures...I too am than out, no way in hell would I support a company that tried to pull that ****

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2004, 05:12 PM »
I'd be selective, if the figure was still nice, I'd probably pick up one or two.  That's with full acknowledgement that the price would translate pretty well to $20 Cdn.  VOTC are currently $14.99 plus the taxes, which here takes it to $17.09 :o (don't believe socialized health care comes without a cost).  

But a scale change?   Very selective, I would be.  If they don't mesh with the rest of the stuff (only what, 27+ years of history) I certainly would be displeased.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2004, 05:24 PM »
If they change the scale, then I'm quiting.

If they do all these things, then the line will more than certainly die. Even as it stands, 12.99 figures aren't going to sell and would thankfully be clearanced off. But, with Hasbros little 'let the kids decide the fate of the line,' would their even be hope for a new improved wave?

For now, I'm just going to consider this a doomsday scenario and pray it dosen't happen.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2004, 05:53 PM »
"Rumors from the orient..."

What is this WWII?  Where is the original sorce of this rumor? $12.00 is just nuts.  The figure will be the same size, and no more than 5.99.

Now in 2006/7, I imagine Hasbro could make a more pricey, VOTC type line aimed at collectors.  
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2004, 06:04 PM »
What is this WWII?  

:'( Sorry you don't like my style of writing, truley, I am crushed. I'm going to delete my account and go back to rebelscum.

Where did these rumors come from? Various places, for one, specificaly the 12.99 one came from a guy I saw at GH. He posted a list of some case assortment and and said the price translates to 12.99 USD. He was from Taiwan, I believe. Allow me to provide a link: http://www.galactichunter.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=OTC&Number=72621&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Not only that, it has been speculated at various times and various places across the 'net that these packages appear to be far to fanciful. What do I mean? It appears to be in clamshell all it's own, with special little trinkits all over it. This would lead one to believe that they would be sold at an increased price point, much like the VOTC.

Hence why this 12.99 rumor holds some water. And even if not $12 then possibly 7, or 8.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2004, 07:52 PM »
I'm, at this time, wagering this won't occur.  I could see a hike to $7 by the company just because Hasbro's filled with the mindless, but I'm still going to bet on no major pricehike beyond that at this time.

Same with scale changes...  

If it happens, then so be it.  It's every excuse one needs to dump the line and let it go the way of Playmates Trek.  

Honestly, how many of us would actually care though I wonder?  It'd make my customizing list much more clear for me anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: August 3, 2004, 09:50 PM »
Scale change?

**** that. I'd drop this line like the bad habit it is then.

Sad thing is, it wouldn't surprise me one damn bit if they pulled that stunt.

I sure as hell won't like a price hike for packaging. What, pray tell, was so wrong with putting OT and PT figures on the same style of card? I loved the Saga line for that.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk