Author Topic: Breaking the bank, what's the price?  (Read 12114 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking the bank, what's the price?
« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2004, 09:51 PM »
If they change the scale, I'm out.  I'll get rid of all my prequel stuff too and just collect OT stuff.  They're not going to do something that risky though, it would be a hot day on Hoth before they'd try to pull something that outlandish.

If they also charge $12.00 (which is whacky to even consider they would do something THAT stupid) for basic figures, I'm out too.  I'm guessing we might see them for $5.00 still; as weren't there supposed to be a price hike on the OTC stuff?  They're still $5.00.  Most of that fancy packaging looks to just be a cardboard insert anyway.  Nothing to get too ancy over.

I agree with the statement though that we might see some high end VOTC styled collector oriented figures in the $12.00 range somewhere down the road, but not with the initial EP3 stuff.

:P

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 3, 2004, 10:05 PM »
Well, at this time, I too feel that we won't see a change in scale, or such a large hike in price. I'm just putting every possibility foward and think that it should be considerd.

Either way, both are bad news if true.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: August 3, 2004, 10:31 PM »
The original source of the rumor was wai who got the info via his contacts in Taiwan, the Pricepoint solicited was $399 NTD which is around $11.70...I just checked and the pricepoint for the VOTC is $499 NTD...or $15...

So maybe $12 is a little high based on the VOTC pricepoint, if we reduce the $11.70 by 2/3 ($10/$15) we get around $8...still high

Sorry to get everyone in the scale change thought without doing some more digging, I think this just may be a price gouge ala Episode I >:(

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 3, 2004, 11:36 PM »
Thanks for the clairification Scott.

- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 4, 2004, 09:50 AM »
I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see a price raise with the ROTS figures.  I certainly hope not though (as all of us do), and if they do, maybe just to $5-something.  I was just thinking back the other day about when I paid $7-$8 a figure for those Episode I characters, that is just crazy.  And, when I look back at it now, it wasn't worth it to me.  That is my least favorite movie, and really the most boring part of my collection to me unfortunately.  If they were for some reason $12-13 a piece, I'd have to strongly consider what I was going to do.  I'd probably still collect a few, but be quite limited (main characters only, very few supporting).  I just couldn't afford that.

Scale change?  I really think (hope) that Hasbro isn't that stupid.  Star Wars toys have been in the 3 3/4" scale forever, and for them to change it for the last movie would be insane.  I too would probably drop out, and it might prompt me as well to get rid of all my prequel figures/ships/etc. as well.  But, that said, I don't think it will happen....yet....but you can never put it past them.  I could see them switching scales once the movies are said and done, or doing something different.  I'm really curious to see where the line heads once ROTS is all said and done.  How many figures (if any) we'll get each year, whether it will be more of a collector line (hopefully), with VOTC-style figures, packaging, etc. (but hopefully not that expensive).  I really enjoy collecting Star Wars, so I hope it continues, but I think I would be ok with it being a little more limited in figure releases (financially, it would be better for me).  The days of 50 figures a year might be done, I'm not sure if any other lines really have that many?  Maybe GI Joe, but I'm not sure.

SilverZ

« Reply #20 on: August 5, 2004, 03:37 PM »
No way they're abandoning 3-3/4" scale toys, not with preview figures coming in the existing line, whatever we call it after the OTC 40 ends.

Could it be that the pricepoint indicates another line? They could easily be doing a LOTR scale line for 2005 that runs concurrently with the smaller figures. That's a scenario I'd be happy with. Far fetched, but since we're talking theories.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: August 5, 2004, 07:21 PM »
No chance on either a scale change, or a big price hike.  Not even Hasbro's that stupid.  There's just no way they'd have 5 movies and almost 1,000 figures worth of 4" scaled product, and then ditch that scale altogether for the final movie in the Saga.  It's slightly possible they could have the regular 4" scale, and then experiment with a larger 6" scale, though I think they've done that before, to little avail...

Hopefully we don't see a price hike at all, but anything within the $5 - $7 range is always possible, since it's happened with this line in the past.  But I don't think they'd raise prices by anything more than a buck if they actually did.  So fear not, I'm sure Mr. Windu from GH (and Taiwan) just received or typed some inaccurate information over there, that's all.   ;)

But on a similar note, if Hasbro decided to start making all of their upcoming figures in the VOTC style - with increased detail, authenticity, and articulation - I would have no serious qualms with shelling out an additional dollar or two per figure.  But I doubt that'll happen either.  Just wishful thinking...

SilverZ

« Reply #22 on: August 5, 2004, 07:45 PM »
Not even Hasbro's that stupid.

Do not underestimate them.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #23 on: August 5, 2004, 08:14 PM »
I don't think either is likely, but just for the record if they raise the price or the scale, I'm out.   ML style SW figs would interest me, but not enough to continue.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2004, 10:33 PM »
I would think at the most 7.99?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2004, 10:41 PM »
$7.99 is too rich for my blood. Especially for the figures in the first assortments we'll all be bitching about within a year and a half after we buy them.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2004, 01:04 PM »
A price hike would be very foolish indeed.  As I've said elsewhere, if I'm able to control the impusles, I'll likely wait and play catch up with most of the early release of Ep III.  Those waves end up dirt cheap on ebay down the road, so if they hiked the price, it would only encourage me more. 

Do not underestimate them.

quite so. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2004, 01:11 PM »
Actually...EE sent me a note last week saying the price of the Naboo case went from $72.99 to $79.99 via the price hike from Hasbro ::)

$80/12=$6.67...I'd say $7 is still within the ballpark for these morons
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 01:42 PM by OCB »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2004, 01:41 PM »
Last gasp gouge?  Interesting way to make sure the line stays healthy for a few more years ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2004, 06:15 PM »
I'd love to have the Ep. III figures, but I'm fearing I may only be able to afford a loose set now.

I suppose that the price hike takes effect in January, then?

Piss. I was having such a fun time buying all these OTC figures for $5 a pop too. I don't think the hobby's been this enjoyable since late 1998. :(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk