Author Topic: what's your favorite scary movie?  (Read 6856 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: what's your favorite scary movie?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2004, 08:49 AM »
don't feel bad about that jeff... jaws is actually second on my list. again, seeing at an early age had some really bad effects on me. nightmares for months. not wanting to go in the water, even at the local swimming pool.

if you liked jaws, and found it scary, check out open water. it's another shark movie, but this time instead of 1 big mechanical shark, the divers are harassed by about 30 smaller - and real - sharks. good movie.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2004, 12:25 AM »
just finished watching another great japanese horror flick called dark water. as with most of the current horror films coming from the far east, it's a ghost story. i wonder why so many of the recent films from that area are all centering on ghost stories, which is a subject that american films just kinda forgot all about? and the weird thing is, most of these films always use a child ghost. strange. and in a way, it's kinda like watching the same movie, over and over again - but it's not. not sure if that statement makes any sense to anyone besides myself. but i know what i mean.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2004, 01:33 AM »
So Dark Water is good eh?  I'll have to check it out.  I've seen it in the store so many times and the cover looks great - but it's always so hit or miss with these movies that I was afraid to pick it up just based on the cover.

One more note on the Ichi the Killer dvd I picked up - here's the cover:

My internet research has led me to believe that there are two releases (U.S. releases anyway) with this exact cover, the Rated-R version, which I have - and an uncut, unrated version, which is pictured above - which I'm going to have to try to find somewhere and see about an exchange.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 01:33 AM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 1, 2004, 06:08 PM »
okay, some new info (or old, depending) on ichi the killer in all it's various forms. i've now got three (yes, 3) versions on dvd. the first of which is an "import"  ;) that clocks in at 93 minutes, the second clocks in at 117 minutes, and the third one clocks in at 129 minutes. i'm under the assumption that the 129 minute version is the fully uncut one. and it's damn good.

on another note, i just finished watching one of the newest films from takashi miike, the director of ichi the killer (they are calling him the japanese quentin tarantino, thanks to the enormous amounts of blood he likes to use in his films. and his films only deal with two subjects - horror and the yakuza. but thankfully, he's a little more prolific than tarantino - he's made 3 movies this year, 5 movies last year, 7 in 2002, and 7 in 2001) - one missed call. actually, it was made last year (2003) but i don't think it has any distribution in the u.s. yet.

like all the recent great japanese horror films, this one is a ghost story. it involves a group of teenagers who receive phone calls on their cellphones - from themselves. it seems they are calling from the future at their exact moment of death, which is usually a day or two from the time they receive the call. but the call shows up with their own name, number - and the day and time, so now they know when they will die. if you like ring, ju-on, or any of the other recent japanese horror masterpieces, check this one out.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 1, 2004, 10:02 PM »

Erik Draven called...he want's his look back.

So does that other guy.

The inmate.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Favorite Horror Flicks?
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2007, 04:09 PM »
What are yours? As for me, here are some of my current favorites...

The Shining- Scariest film ever, no question about it. I could spend all day talking about the creepy and disturbing images in that movie. Even after five viewings, one scene that still gives creeps me out is the "bear suit" scene. Thing ******* comes out of nowhere and sends a chill down my spine everytime.

Night Of The Living Dead- Definitive zombie flick. The ending is almost beautifully tragic in a way, and also disturbing. I recently purchased the re-colored DVD at Best Buy, but I still prefer watching it in B&W for some reason.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre- While Psycho invented the slasher genre, TCM would invent the whole "masked killer" concept that would become a staple of the genre. Fantastic film, and the abrupt ending really leaves you guessing.

Also, what is the absolute worst horror film you've ever seen?

Way Of The Vampire- This was just absolutely painful. To give you an idea of its wretchedness, this is a direct-to-DVD film the Sci-Fi Channel plays on rotation. I still find it hard to believe I wasted two hours watching this piece of trash.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 12:13 AM »
Open Water was gay. Besides a naked chick.  :P

I'm not a big horror fan. Jaws, Alien, Aliens & Predator exceptions.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 09:19 AM »
Poltergeist still gives me the willies, that and the Exorcist.

A Nightmare on Elmstreet deserves an honorable mention.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2007, 10:30 AM »
Jaws flat out scared me when I was a kid -- we made the mistake of seeing it just before we went to Nags Head for two weeks.  Not only have I not been in the Atlantic Ocean since, I wouldn't go in the deep end of the pool for the rest of the summer.  I'll only go into water that I can see my feet in. 

Poltergeist still wigs me out -- I have always been afraid of clowns and that nearly sent me over the edge.  I was in San Diego for the summer and flew up to San Francisco to visit a friend.  When he took me to the airport we were on a people mover and half way across it he freaked out and started running.  When I caught up to to him he was sitting on the floor in a cold sweat.  He said that he felt like he was in the scene where the mom was in the hallway and it kept stretching out and he panicked. 

Halloween -- while one of my all time favorite scary movies -- pretty much put an end to my babysitting career.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 12:44 PM »
My top horror movie:  The Thing.  Not that it's particularly scary, but it's just amazing in every respect.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline brian_peppers

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2007, 02:49 PM »
Underdog !
I suck.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2007, 09:12 PM »
The Excorcist and Poltergeist are some of the first horror/scary movies I saw as a kid so they still hold a "special" place in my heart.  Halloween and Nightmare on Elmstreet came up next.  Yes I was allowed to watch horror movies at a very young age and I turned out fine - I think.  My favorite has to go to Hellraiser though.....I just loved the box and Pinhead's gang....good stuff.  At least 1-3.  Hellbound being my favorite with the "good doctor"

I wish this franchise could be revived with less sucky sequels  ::)

Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2007, 06:35 PM »
Poltergeist is creepy too. I have in my DVD colelction, only watched once.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m