Author Topic: what's your favorite scary movie?  (Read 6819 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: what's your favorite scary movie?
« Reply #15 on: August 2, 2004, 03:52 PM »
We've been watching the trailers for this a lot at work - looks like it has the potential to be really good.  Anyone see these yet?  There's a trailer in the site somewhere:

Saw:  The Movie

You have to click the red dots and other things to actually FIND the trailer in there...
« Last Edit: August 2, 2004, 03:53 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 2, 2004, 05:00 PM »
Vertigo, not because its scary but because its so chock full of twists and psycho drama, its Hitchcock's best and perhaps one of the best of all time
Bang Bang

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 2, 2004, 06:51 PM »
Speaking of the new Exorcist.  Whats the deal with the supposed first prequel version filmed?  Are they going to release?  Wait til the new prequel is released on DVD.  Am interested to see why it was canned.  Since it was scrapped you would think they would try to capitalize on the direct to video thing.  Or are there some kind of legal obstacles?  

Back on topic.  I give nods to the Exorcist as still being frightening.  When I was younger I could pick dozens that would scare the piss out of me.  But, with all the violence nowadays, society becomes numb.  

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 2, 2004, 09:52 PM »
Speaking of the new Exorcist.  Whats the deal with the supposed first prequel version filmed?  Are they going to release?  Wait til the new prequel is released on DVD.  Am interested to see why it was canned.  Since it was scrapped you would think they would try to capitalize on the direct to video thing.  Or are there some kind of legal obstacles?  

Back on topic.  I give nods to the Exorcist as still being frightening.  When I was younger I could pick dozens that would scare the piss out of me.  But, with all the violence nowadays, society becomes numb.  

THe one that is being released is a prequel.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but what I thought happened was that the film was made, in its entirety, but there was some type of conflict and the film was reshot - the exact same film - with a different director.  Both versions will end up on DVD eventually.

Or so I heard...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 3, 2004, 12:33 AM »
okay, here's a quick list of a few sites that i hit up on a regular rotation to get the scoop on what's upcoming and what's out in the horror community:

bloody disgusting

fangoria (duh!)

gorezone

upcoming horror movies

japanese cult film reviews

cult horror reviews

general movie news and reviews:

freezedriedmovies

dark horizons

digital bits

those should keep you bust for a while  ;D

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 3, 2004, 12:37 AM »
and i forgot - on the bloody disgusting site, there is a review for a new flick called haute tension - a slasher flick out of france. it is being re-named switchblade romance for uk distribution, and i don't think it is being released in america just yet. but if you can find a copy, watch it. it's one of the best horror flicks - and the best slasher flick - i've seen in a long, long time. seriously.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: August 3, 2004, 12:40 AM »
"I saw this on bloody disgusting"

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 3, 2004, 12:50 AM »
"I saw this on bloody disgusting"

saw what?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: August 3, 2004, 12:58 AM »
« Last Edit: August 3, 2004, 12:58 AM by OCB »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2004, 04:58 PM »
Question for everyone - especially Jokabofe.

I just bought Ichi the Killer at Best Buy - it's rated R and is 117 minutes long.

Is this an edited version of the actual film?  Does anyone know the run-time on the Japanese release???

Any help would be appreciated it - I'm holding off on opening it until I know so I can return it if it's edited down.

Thanks.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2004, 05:27 PM »
Not sure, but I have rented the DVD befour. It's a good movie.

- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2004, 05:39 PM »
After a quick google...I found a site saying that they were selling one that was 129 minutes...which is longer - which suggests mine was edited.  But, the 129 minute one was still only rated R - so I'm still not quite sure.

It's looking like I'll have to return this one though...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2004, 07:09 PM »
yeah, they have made a few different versions/edits of that film. i do believe there is an unedited version, but it's only in region 2/pal format as far as i know. there's a website called diabolik dvd that has copies, but you'll need a region free dvd player to check it out.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2004, 09:42 PM »
actually, i just took a look at my copy of ichi (which claims to be "uncut"), and according to the back it says "run time: 93 minutes" which would put it at 1 hour and 33 minutes. so who knows. this is an "unofficial copy" that i picked up a few years ago at a toy show in nyc.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2004, 12:55 AM »
As sad as it is...
The scariest movie I've ever seen was Jaws.

As a kid, I didn't go swimming for MONTHS after I saw that thing.

Lots of movies have "freaked" me out, "grossed" me out, "weirded" me out, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING ever flat out "scared" me like that movie did.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender