Author Topic: Playskool's Jedi Force Line  (Read 20843 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Playskool's Jedi Force Line
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2005, 02:34 PM »
Not that I've got kids or anything, but I'd think that kids would likely be more interested in this Jedi Force line than the GH one personally.  More "stuff", some articulation, electronics, etc.  Definitely more "playability" with these.

So I think the GH line was somewhat of a miss with the real young kids, but a hit with the collectors, while this Jedi Force line may be just the opposite.  I have to think this line was really geared more towards the kids.

But the GH line...  Hell, Hasbro was polling adult collectors last year (2003) at Comic Con (with written questionaires) on whether they'd like to see the GH line return, especially in the form of figure 2-packs.  So I think Hasbro definitely caught on to exactly WHO was buying these GH/Playskool products the first time around.

As for me, I still haven't bitten on any more JF figures, though I probably will if I find them on clearance later on.  My Vader receipt gives me 3 months to decide what I'm gonna do with this line...   ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 02:35 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2005, 02:39 PM »
I think you're right Matt, Hasbro definitely knows that collectors are intersted in the Galactic Heroes line.  I remember getting an e-mail questionnaire about then 2 packs awhile back as well, before they were announced/released.  And, like mentioned earlier, the character choice kind of makes it seem that way even moreso now (like the Skiff Guard for example).  I do hope the line continues, because I think its a fun little sub-line to collect, fairly inexpensive, and space saver-friendly :).

I'm curious to see how far the Jedi Force line will go.  Like I said, our nephews (and his cousins as well) thought they were great, and they all fell in the 3-6ish year range.  There is a lot more playability with those figures, and the "light up" lightsabers are pretty cool.  I personally got the Chewie for Christmas from the Mrs., and ended up picking up the Vader when I saw it too.  Then I broke down and got the droids, but have held off on the Luke.  I don't know if I'll buy any more after this (or if there will even be any more), but I'm staying away from the vehicles.  We got the X-Wing for our nephew too, and when I got done snapping it all together, that thing is ginormous.  Pretty neat for the wee ones though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2005, 10:06 AM »
Looks like we've got some more Jedi Force figures on the way this year, from the pics at Toy Fair.  I believe we've seen the following:

Yoda
Han Solo
Mace Windu
Bespin-ish Luke
Anakin Skywalker
Anakin Skywalker repaint?
Chewbacca repaint
Luke Skywalker repaint (yellow X-Wing outfit)
Obi-Wan w/Boga

Some of these figures are kind of neat, in a way, although I still don't see how this and "Force Battlers" are going to co-exist.  They seem like basically the same thing, aside from appearance differences.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 10:08 AM by mosnab »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2005, 12:11 PM »
I'm still holding strong, and have ONLY bought the Vader.  Still determined to try and eventually return it as well, OCD permitting.

But I think I've definitely concluded that I need to stay away from this line.  Especially now that I'm reorganizing the collection room, and see that I would NEVER have any space to display them.  Just too big and clunky, especially when you add the ships in too.  Not to mention they're already delving into the rehashes and repaints with these, it looks like.  That's bad news right there.

Best for me to stick with the smaller and cuter Playskool line.  Definitely.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2005, 12:22 PM »
A Few More Details from Hasbro...

PLAYSKOOL SET TO LAUNCH STAR WARS JEDI FORCE TOY LINE FOR PRESCHOOLERS

In 2005, the “force” returns with PLAYSKOOL’S new STAR WARS JEDI FORCE toy line that includes figures and role-playing toys from the entire STAR WARS franchise.  Preschoolers will enjoy STAR WARS play as they “become” their favorite characters like LUKE SKYWALKER, HAN SOLO, ANAKIN SKYWALKER, YODA and DARTH VADER.  Experience the STAR WARS adventure in your home and choose the side you want to be on.

BASIC FIGURE ASSORTMENT 1
($7.99 each; 3 and up; Fall 2005)

YODA & SWAMP STOMPER “Enjoy Yoda, you will!”  As the green, big-eared master of the JEDI, the YODA figure comes complete with his SWAMP STOMPER and GREEN lightsaber ready to travel through the swamps and protect against the Dark Side. 

LUKE SKYWALKER & SPEEDER BOARD Put your LUKE SKYWALKER figure’s JEDI skills to the test!  Equipped with his SPEEDER BOARD and his BLUE lightsaber, take the LUKE SKYWALKER figure on his journey to rescue his friends and his father, DARTH VADER.

DARTH VADER & PROBE DROID Fight as or against the DARK SIDE with the DARTH VADER figure!  Attach the PROBE DROID to the DARTH VADER toy’s arm and press the red button on the top to open up the DROID CLAW.  He also comes with his infamous RED lightsaber.

MACE WINDU & JEDI GRAPPLER The MACE WINDU figure, one of the more experienced JEDI, comes with a JEDI GRAPPLER and PURPLE lightsaber!  Children can launch and reload the hook from the JEDI GRAPPLER by pressing the red button on top and help him fight alongside his fellow JEDI warriors.

BASIC FIGURE ASSORTMENT 2
($7.99 each; 3 and up; Fall 2005)

C-3PO & R2-D2 The famous gold and silver robot duo from the STAR WARS movies returns!  The C-3PO figure, the gold and shiny robot, and the R2-D2 figure, the white and silver droid, are packaged together to provide preschoolers with the sidekicks needed to help defeat the Dark Side.  Features include: pushing a button to watch C-3PO’s eyes light up and pushing R2-D2’s head to release an arsenal of tools required to repair the X-WING FIGHTERS. 

HAN SOLO & JEDI POD Take off across the galaxy with the HAN SOLO figure and his JEDI POD.  Dressed in blue and carrying a white helmet, place the HAN SOLO figure into the pedal straps and snap his hands onto the handle bars to prepare him for launch.  Press the red button to release the wings and fly the JEDI POD!

ANAKIN & JEDI POD Before becoming the evil DARTH VADER, the most famous JEDI, ANAKIN SKYWALKER, took to fighting against the Dark Side.  Dressed in a blue tunic with a black vest, children can use the BLUE lightsaber and JEDI POD of the ANAKIN SKYWALKER figure to protect against enemies.

CHEWBACCA & WOOKIEE SCOUT FLYER HAN SOLO’s favorite furry sidekick, CHEWBACCA, returns to action!  The CHEWBACCA figure comes with a WOOKIEE SCOUT FLYER, used to fly into combat.  Preschoolers can snap the wings on “CHEWBACCA’S back, press the button and turn the small handle to flap the wings.  Attach other figures onto the hook and press the yellow button under the dial to release them.

DELUXE ASSORTMENT
(Approximate Retail Price: $14.99 each; Recommended Ages: 3 and up; Available: Fall 2005)

OBI WAN & BOGA
The OBI WAN figure and his large, lizard-like animal, BOGA are featured in the DELUXE ASSORTMENT. OBI WAN sits on top of BOGA and moves around in battle.  The OBI WAN figure also comes with a lightsaber that lights up by pressing the button on the bottom.

No word on how many re-paints there will be, but it looks like we'll see at least Luke, Anakin, Vader, and Chewie repainted a few times in 2005.   :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2005, 04:11 PM »
I'm not sure why, but this Yoda figures from the JF line sort of reminds me of a Gremlin...or maybe a hairless Mogwai (spelling?)...you know, the furry ones from Gremlins, like Gizmo :P.

Jedi Force Yoda
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 04:12 PM by mosnab »

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2005, 03:10 PM »
Target in Covina had the new Yoda today, but some scalper-looking dude had it in his red hand cart.  He grabbed the last Vader right as I made a move for it too!   >:(  Not sure what others he had in his cart, but he also had all the Ep.III Galactic Heroes sets. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2005, 09:15 AM »
I found the new Yoda this weekend at Wal-Mart, and picked it up.  I haven't opened it yet, and am trying to consider if I should keep it or not.  They had 1 Anakin as well, and then the rest...Vader, Chewie, Droids, X-Wing Luke.  Something "new" at least, but I'd have rather found the basic figures ;).  I kind of like some of the figures in this line, but I'm wondering if the Galactic Heroes would be enough to collect from the "kiddie" world.  Of course, this is all supposed to be kids' stuff right? ;)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2005, 11:17 AM »
Found the new Yoda and Anakin at Target again last night (saw it Wednesday during lunch too).

Ended up picking up Yoda for the nephew.  We've already given him Luke (B-Day), the Droids (Christmas), and Vader (for fun) so far, so Yoda will make a nice little Easter gift for him.

;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2005, 11:27 AM »
Judging by the picture at Entertainment Earth, Vader, Luke, Chewie and the droids are all rehashes.  Hasbro has just included different accessories for the 1st 3. 

I gave the droids set to my daughter the other day, and I now see that this line is perfect for kids that age.  They're a nice large size to handle, and the "pop-out tools" on R2 and "light-up eyes" on 3PO are great to keep her playing.  This line was obviously designed with the little kids in mind, and I've seen first hand that they've done a good job with them.  Although, 3PO's hands are so wide that they hit his legs when they are at his side, an annoyance for sure.

(And now that Vader is rereleased, maybe I can track him down this time for my Vader collection - but this line isn't for collectors, right?  ;))

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2005, 03:49 PM »
Found a lone Anakin today at my Target, but decided to pass on it for now.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #56 on: April 4, 2005, 12:52 AM »
Of the first four, the only one that tempted me was Chewie because I have a thing for Wookiees. I never bought him since I had other toy priorities.

However, I am gonna get Rescue Glider Anakin, just because of the neat helmet & glider contraption and because he goes with my Clone Wars collection. Actually I was going to get him at Midnight Madness but I didn't see him, and besides I found the AT-RT which I wanted more anyway but wasn't expecting to see yet.

Undecided on Yoda w/ Stamp Stomper.

Mace fits with my prequel theme stuff so I might get him.

Anakin & Jedi Pod sounds promising but I haven't seen any pics yet.

Likely I will get the Chewie with Flyer because I like Wookiees and it sounds like it's from ROTS.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 4, 2005, 12:08 PM »
Didn't really see these while shopping this weekend, not that I was really looking either.  I did see the Yoda and Anakin a couple of weeks ago at a Wal-Mart (one of each).  Not many of us seem to collect/care about these, but I was thinking...if you had your choice (regardless of if you'd buy them), would you rather see the Jedi Force or Force Battlers line stick around?  They seem to basically be doubling up, similar in size and market.  I did see quite a few kiddos grabbing the Vader one this weekend, but the rest were left to rot.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 5, 2005, 03:51 AM »
Saw Anakin and Yoda today at my nearest Target.

Offline Blue_Harvester

• Jedi Initiate
  • Great Googly-Moogly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2005, 12:56 PM »
The new YODA and ANAKIN have hit the Pittsburgh Walmarts.

Yoda's 'cyber-legs' look pretty funny.  Kinda like ATAT legs.  Good
for squashing lizards with back on Dagobah. ;)
Han shot FIRST. Luke threw TWICE. And it was THX-1138 who wasn't at his post on the big screen back in '77. And I first learned that Vader was Luke's dad in the cinemas at the Tampa Bay Mall in 1980.