Author Topic: Playskool's Jedi Force Line  (Read 20823 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Upcoming Playskool Jedi Force Line
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2004, 01:58 PM »
R2 and 3PO actually look pretty neat, I found them next to the Galactic Heroes yesterday.  I didn't buy them but I may get the droid set just to have.  I did not see any Vaders

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2004, 08:27 AM »
Just curious...although I know most people aren't fans of this line, for those of you who have seen them in person, are you finding them in the "regular" Star Wars area?

The Target that I frequent most often has the three action figure aisle setup, and the Jedi Force figures are located on the third aisle (aisle one being Transformers, Gundam-type stuff; aisle two being Joes, SW, and LOTR; aisle three being more "transitory" type lines or stuff aimed at the young'uns) alongside the GH line (which is not restocked all that often).  They had one peg for the JF figures, and one of each figure when I saw them. 

I picked up the Vader and I really like him.  The little droid thing I could have done without, and maybe I'm just really immature, but I actually like him a lot more than the GH version.  If they continue the line and make a Boba Fett, I'd buy it in a second.  And for $7.99 and a level of articulation that is sadly miles ahead of the first few years of POTF2, I think it's a good deal.

That being said, the Luke looked horrid, as did the R2 in the droid two pack.  Chewbacca didn't look too bad though, and I thought Threepio was nice.  Then again, I might be the only one who has this sentiment, as all three other JFs (they had one of each initially) were still sitting there four days after I picked up the Vader.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2004, 11:36 PM »

The latest offering in Playskool's new Jedi Force line is now available at Playskool's eBay Store

The eBay exclusive version of the Jedi Force X-Wing includes Luke Skywalker and R2-D2 and is limited to 5000 units.  A regular edition of the X-Wing (minus Luke and R2 pack-in figures) will be available at retail stores later in the year.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2004, 08:55 AM »
I looked around for these this weekend, kind of hoping to find a Chewie, but they don't seem to have shown up at any of our stores.  Of course, our Targets here in town are of the "basic" variety, no Greatland, "Super", etc., so maybe they won't be showing here.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: December 2, 2004, 11:27 AM »
AND, I broke down and purchased my first Jedi Force figure (Luke) last night.  One of the nephew's birthday is coming up at the end of the month (11-24) and it seemed like it'd make a good gift as he's got a BUNCH of Rescue Heroes stuff. 

I guess we'll see if kids actually like them or not at Thanksgiving when he gets his gift!

Just an update, we gave the nephew his Jedi Force Luke shortly before Thanksgiving (11/22) and he seeemd to really like it that evening.  Lots of goofing around with Luke and his saber.

Well, apparently since then "Luke Skywamper" is seeing a lot of action.  My wife tallked with her sister today and found out that the nephew has been dragging Luke everywhere for the past week - church, grandma's house, everywhere, including going to bed together at night.

Along with the figure, there have apparently been numerous requests to watch Luke in his movies as well.  According to the sis-in-law, the favorite so far seems to be Jedi because that's the one where "Luke fights bad Vader and helps the monkeys" (I think ewoks = monkeys, but I'm never sure when it comes to 3-year olds :-\).

I guess we will have to add a Jedi Force Chewie and Vader to the loot we're getting him for Christmas becuase at least one kid seems to like them!   ;)

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Playskool's Jedi Force Line
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2004, 11:20 AM »
Saw the Luke Speederbike set at ToysRUs last night, looked sort of neat

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2004, 06:38 PM »
I was going to pass on this series...until I saw the Vader. :o The droids will be my next purchase, I will only get the ones I like. Very cool play value. ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2004, 07:15 PM »
I was going to pass on this series...until I saw the Vader.  :o

I've been dreading finally seeing a Vader, 'cause I knew if I ever did, I'd probably want to buy it just because it seems like it's such a tough find so far, since I keep seeing the other 3 but never him.

So guess what happened today?  Yep, finally saw a Vader, and my idiocy compelled me to buy it.   >:(  And of course, you know what that means now...   ::)

****.   :'(

Saw the X-Wing last night at a WM as well (but passed on it).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2004, 10:59 AM »
Don't feel bad Matt, you're not the only one :).  My wife got me the Jedi Force Chewie for Christmas, which was the only one I really wanted to get (any and all Chewies ;)).  But, we stopped at Wal-mart this weekend to get some groceries, and the only thing in the Star Wars section was the Jedi Force figs.  No Chewies there, 1 Vader, and I think 3 each of the droids and X-Wing Luke.  I couldn't pass it up, and ended up getting the Vader.  I'm tempted to go get the droids as well if they are still there, but I think I'm passing on the Luke.  At least for now.  Who knows, if I have 3 of the 4 basic figs, I'll probably want to "have them all".  That said, I know some people aren't big fans of these, but they are kind of neat.  Like I said, the Luke doesn't look all the great, but I really like both the Chewie and Vader.  They are quite a bit bigger than I expected too, about as tall as the Unleashed line.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 7, 2005, 03:44 PM »
While picking up the Tatooine wave of the Galactic Heroes at Wal-Mart yesterday, I noticed they had the Luke w/Speeder Bike.  It looked kind of neat, but I passed on it.  I guess I didn't even check how much it cost, but it did look kind of spiffy.

Along the same lines, one of our nephews is celebrating his 3rd birthday this weekend, and we've been shopping for him lately.  We decided to pick up the Jedi Force X-Wing for him, because he really like "guys and ships" and action figures in general.  Plus, he seems to enjoy the Rescue Heroes, so it should be a perfect fit.  Unfortunately, we have yet to find the X-Wing Luke to go with the ship.  When I picked up Vader, etc., I saw several of the Lukes, but they are now all sold out (all the figs from this line are actually).  We picked up the R2/3PO pack for him (since R2 is supposed to go in the back I guess), but don't really want to give it to him without the pilot.  We're out to check a couple of Targets and another Wal-Mart today to see if we can find it.  This is an instance where I really think they should pack pilots in with the vehicle.  Its not like 3po is going to fly the thing, right? ;)  They have had the Luke in stock at KBToys.com, but we didn't really want to pay $12 (once shipping is considered) for the guy, and plus, now it is too late since we are seeing him on Sunday.  In a line like this, which is marketed towards kids, you'd think having a pilot along with the ship would be "kid friendly".

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2005, 09:47 AM »
Went to Target on Friday, and wound up finding the X-Wing Luke, so we were happy.  We gave our nephew the Luke, Droids, and X-Wing from the Jedi Force line, and he loved them.  The Luke seemed to be the favorite.  His older brother's b-day is next weekend, and really liked them as well, so we're thinking about picking him up his "own" Luke, and/or possibly the Speeder Bike set.  I don't know about anyone/anywhere else, but these figures/toys seemed to be a hit with the wee ones in our family.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2005, 09:52 AM »
More of a hit than the Galactic Hero stuff Brian?  My daughter is ok with the GH stuff but Star Wars isn't her gig (not enough princesses ;)).  I'm really wondering if they did hit the mark better this time.  Not wanting to invoke the ghost of Cory, but what do you think the primary market for these is?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2005, 10:14 AM »
I don't know about anyone/anywhere else, but these figures/toys seemed to be a hit with the wee ones in our family.

Well, I purchased my first Jedi Force figure (Luke) for one of the nephew's 3rd birthday back in November.  It seemed like it'd make a good gift as he's got a BUNCH of Rescue Heroes stuff.  We gave the nephew his Jedi Force Luke shortly before Thanksgiving (11/22) and he seeemd to really like it that evening. 

Well, apparently since then "Luke Skywamper" has seeing a lot of action.  The nephew has been dragging Luke everywhere for the past 2 months - church, grandma's house, everywhere, including going to bed together at night.

We got him the Droids 2-pack as part of his Christmas gift and he loved them too (it's fun to watch him open his presents because he knows that Uncle Jeff likes to hide toys in with the clothes).

More of a hit than the Galactic Hero stuff Brian? My daughter is ok with the GH stuff but Star Wars isn't her gig (not enough princesses ;)). I'm really wondering if they did hit the mark better this time. Not wanting to invoke the ghost of Cory, but what do you think the primary market for these is?

I'd say that these are big with the Rescue Heroes crowd, Ages 3-6 maybe?  Most of the nephews/kid that I know in that age group seem to LOVE these figures.  Much moreso than the GH 2-packs because of the action features and accessories.  Yes, my nephew actually LIKES the action features such as R2's pop-out tools. 

When we gave him the Vader/Obi-Wan GH 2-pack, he liked it when he opened it, but never touched it again.  Maybe it's the 6-months age difference from 2.5 to 3 years, but he sure seems to love the Jedi Force more.

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2005, 10:32 AM »
I'd say that these are big with the Rescue Heroes crowd, Ages 3-6 maybe?  Most of the nephews/kid that I know in that age group seem to LOVE these figures.  Much moreso than the GH 2-packs because of the action features and accessories.  Yes, my nephew actually LIKES the action features such as R2's pop-out tools.

When we gave him the Vader/Obi-Wan GH 2-pack, he liked it when he opened it, but never touched it again.  Maybe it's the 6-months age difference from 2.5 to 3 years, but he sure seems to love the Jedi Force more.

I'd echo exactly what Jeff said.  Our nephews also fall into that range (one turned 3, the other will be 5 next week), and they are also part of the "Rescue Hero" crowd.  We gave the older nephew the Galactic Heroes (at that time just Playskool) X-Wing set (with Luke, Vader, R2) a couple of years back at Christmas.  He liked it, and still has it toward the "top of the heap" in their toy box (although slightly broken), but they seemed to be more jazzed about these Jedi Force figures.  Actually, just like Jeff mentioned, I think the action features make the difference...and maybe some part due that they can move the arms/legs (unliked GH).  They really enjoyed Luke's "light up" saber (which really puts off a nice vibrant color I might add), as well as R2s gadgets, 3POs light up eyes, and the noises that the X-Wing makes.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2005, 10:44 AM »
Thanks.  The reason I ask is that I'm pretty sure the GH stuff "missed the mark" with its presumed target audience.  I was ecstatic to have them when I did, simply because I could give my daughter star wars toys that were really solid, had no small pieces and were big enough not to choke her when she inevitably put them in her mouth.  I do think they made them properly for the 2-3 year old market for just those reasons.  No or minimal moving parts (the Wampa's eyes).  Not too easy to chew through and too big to swallow.  Darn near unbreakable for that age group.  However, they come with a built in limited attention span due to that same lack of articulation.  And then they end up as adult collectibles, much to the dismay of some, though I'd contend the latest releases are much more geared towards adults (the two packs anyway). 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.