Author Topic: ROTJ Ending Footage  (Read 5444 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
ROTJ Ending Footage
« on: July 25, 2004, 08:23 PM »
Well its official.  Here is the ending.  Spoilers Beware.  Right click to save.

http://owenward.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ROTJ-2004-HAYDENGHOSTCHANGE.mov
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 08:24 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 08:28 PM »
That is TERRIBLE. What is the point in that? If you want a young Anakin, why not a young Obi-Wan? :-X :-X
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 08:32 PM by Chris Berry »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 08:49 PM »
I watched that several times over at Jared's place last night.  Kinda strange, and Anakin has a couple rather peculiar head movements in it for some reason.  But overall, I guess it's fine.

As for why Anakin is young, and Obi's old - I'd guess their Jedi Spirit is from when they technically "died" as a Jedi.  That would be right when Anakin changed to Vader (when he was young, in ROTS) and when Obi-Wan got waxed by Vader in ANH (when he was old).  That's probably why the Anakin spirit isn't "old" anymore.

That's my guess, anyway...

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 08:54 PM »
I thought he was good again at the end though, in his old age, and was "saved" by Luke? I could be wrong....  ::)

Offline Keldor

• Youngling
  • The Sith will have their REVENGE
    • View Profile
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 10:35 PM »
 >:( That's horribble! Terrible! Dear Horde Prime Above! What were you thinking Lucas! Sebastian Shaw must be rolling in his grave!
"I will be Chancellor"-Senator Palpatine "The Phantom Menace"

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 10:51 AM »
Meh...kinda makes sense to me.

"Your father was seduced by the dark side. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man that was your father was destroyed."

We're seeing Anakin as he was. Obi-Wan and Yoda were in harmony with the force up until they became one with it. Vader was a disruption, a perversion. Only as Anakin was he in harmony with the force.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 12:53 PM »
The spirits of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda are presented as they were before they died. Anakin died once he became Darth Vader, so it makes sense to me that the spirit of Anakin is... well... Anakin.

Personally I liked the old version, I liked seeing the old guy as he could have been had he never crossed over to the Dark Side... BUT... I feel like the change is correct.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 05:04 PM »
Please dont flame me, but even though I love the original cut this makes sense and will tie in the movies well.  I think everyone hit the nail on the head about Anakins turn to Vader as the reason why he is in his youthful spirit form. I can agree with some of the changes, but not all.  I dont think 20 years ago Lucas was too concerned about tying the movies together since the Prequels were never a definite til the early to mid nineties, although everyone thinks they were.  You also have to remember that this snipet will play out better in the correct format on the DVD.  

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 05:24 PM »
It doesn't bother me that much, but I prefer the other guy they used in '83 (Forgot his name). I mean, I agree with everyone else's theory, but Anakin would have had to age in twenty years, right?

And Hayden doesn't even look at Obi Wan! He looks down! WTF is up with that?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 07:54 PM »
i'm kinda on the fence about the whole anakin thing, not sure if i like the fact that they took out sebastian shaw and threw hayden in there.

but besides that, i think it looks horrible. hayden's timing is way off, at least in this sample. he looks away before ben even looks at him. and he's looking away as he starts to become visible. i read somewhere else online that they used sebastian shaw's original body and just threw hayden's head on top of it.

SilverZ

ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 01:44 AM »
I'm holding off final judgement for a bit, since it seems that the divx rip is from a PAL source, so it's sped up from how it should *really* look. At least I hope that's it, because the timing on when Anakin fades in looks horrible. Hayden and Alec never really lock glances like the Shaw version did. The rest I can live with, but that first few moments pisses me off.

As far as the replacement issue, Lucas can do whatever he wants to fix his little movies to be in line with the PT all he wants. I'm holding to my position that the OT died in 1997, and is an entirely different set of movies than what came into existence afterward. I'll clutch onto my LDs until the day I die or they rerelease that trilogy on a new format in some far off year.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 12:58 PM »
Speaking of changes to the end of Jedi...

There's apparently a Gungan that's been inserted into the end of the ROTJ celebration scene (Naboo's been added to the festivities) who shout's "Weesa Free!"   ::)

I'm really beginning to hate George Lucas now.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 01:02 PM »

There's apparently a Gungan that's been inserted into the end of the ROTJ celebration scene (Naboo's been added to the festivities) who shout's "Weesa Free!"   ::)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  Say it isn't so!   :'(

Starting to hate him too!  >:(

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 02:01 PM »

From what I read in this thread it's barely audible and you can't see the actual Gungan speaking.  True?  Probably or the poster could just be speaking out of his ass.

Warning:  that link may contain spoilers for ROTS.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
ROTJ Ending Footage
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 02:11 PM »
I've started to see "confirmatons" of some of these changes now, and I'm not sure what to think.  Like it was said before, the "original" versions of these movies were gone once the Special Editions came out, and I wish we could have DVD versions of the films as they were originally, in the theatres back in the 70s/80s.  Those are the ones I grew up with, watching, and loving.  Don't get me wrong, I still can't wait for these DVDs, but it won't ever be quite the same now, will it?

That said, I guess it is Lucas' right to do with these movies what he wants to, and I don't have any problems with cleaning up effects shots, matte lines, etc.  I also don't mind replacing certain things to make them look better (the SE-added Jabba comes to mind), as I am sure they can do a much better job now.  This ending scene I'm not so sure about, it will seem so different every time I watch it, but I guess I can appreciate tying the entire saga together a little bit too.  Right now, other than similar characters/planets, I don't know that the bridge between the PT and the OT is all that great.  Although, hopefully Revenge of the Sith will help that as well.  I definitely don't need to hear a Gungan yelling "wesa free" at the end of the Saga though.  Yikes.

I guess the bottom line is, there's not much we can do about it...and hopefully certain changes won't be as bad as we think.  I'm still greatly looking forward to the DVD release, changes or no changes.  And, like I said, I can appreciate the fact of trying to tie things together a little more too.  Hopefully it isn't messed up too much, and fans won't be upset again (of course, we're always upset about something, aren't we? :P)