Author Topic: VOTC Leia and Obi-Wan  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
VOTC Leia and Obi-Wan
« on: August 6, 2004, 10:26 PM »
I've had these figs for around a week and a half, but never really got around to reviewing them. They got me enthusiastic about SW collecting again, and got me to start ordering figures online. Anyway, here's what I think about the VOTC Leia and Obi-Wan......

Princess Leia Organa

Sculpt: Sculpt is pretty good here. Some may argue that the face looks nothing like Carrie Fisher, but I think it is a decent likeness of her. The upper body has a GREAT amount of detail, until you get to the waist. The softgoods dress was a nice addition, and I think it is pretty well done. Under the skirt is just plainly sculpted legs (painted white) along with boots. Nothing exciting here. Thumbs in the middle.

Paint: Not much painting here, as I'm sure Hasbro used white plastic. The belt has gray buckles, and the bottoms of her boots are painted black. This was a nice feature, as Hasbro detailed the figure really well. The paint on her face makes her look like a doll of somesort though. Thumbs up for a good paintjob on this figure.

Articulation: I believe Leia has 12 points. Ball/Socket Neck, Ball/Socket Arms, Elbows, Wrists, Waist, Hips, and Knees. Yup, that's 12. The arms are nice, as you can pose her with her blaster in both hands, hands near her hips (like the picture on the card), or straight down at her sides (Requires you to flip the arms and wrists though, it's kind of hard to explain without pictures). I have heard that her knees are Ball/Socket, but they don't seem that way to me. She can bend her knees, but can only move her shins left and right. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Oh well, they just don't seem Ball/Socket to me. Thumbs up for articulation.

Accessories: You get a black, shiney Stormtrooper blaster, exactly the same as the POTJ one, which also comes with Saga Bespin Chewie and Admiral Ozzel for example. Her hands are small, so this is just about the only weapon she can hold. I would have preferred the long Leia pistol she uses before getting stunned in ANH, but this does fine. Thumbs in the middle.

Overall: Pretty decent figure for Leia. I see she is selling like hotcakes and seems to be the most difficult to find just behind Luke. I know why. A good figure that is well worth the money.

Grade: A- (A Minus)

Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi

Sculpt: The head seems like a decent enough sculpt to me. Looks an awful lot like the old POTJ Obi-Wan to me. The upper body has decent detailto the waist where the soft goods begin. His sleeves have wrinkles in them, which looks pretty cool. His hands have GREAT detail, showing wrinkles and veins. This is an AWESOME detail, IMO, and really adds to the figure. His belt has little detail. Just a buckle and a small hook where a Lighsaber hilt would go. Under the soft goods cloak are your basic pants and boots, with a small bit of detail in each (A few wrinkles). For example of this see a figure like, oh, um, Admiral Ozzel. His pants are similar. Thumbs in the middle leaning towards Up with the sculpt.

Paint: Eh, a decent paintjob. Like Leia, he was probably sculpted with tan plastic, and the painted the brown on him. His boots, belt, and inner shirt are painted brown, and his hair is gray. Not much else to talk about here. Thumbs in the middle

Articulation: Here's where it gets messy...... he has the standard neck articulation, NOT Ball/Socket like Han and Leia. Big no-no. He DOES have Ball/Socket Shoulders, but cruddy Elbow articulation. Once again, I refer you to Admrial Ozzel's figure for an example. He looks bad without the cloak when he has his arms moved to go straight down, but that's mainly because of the sculpt. It's even harder to put the cloak on with his elbows like that, so you have to move them into the straight position, THEN move the elbows back to the normal position, as well as move the cloth back so it doesn't look pulled. It's good that he can hold his Lightsaber with both hands, but I wish he had some better elbows. Add in the Standard waist along with Standard Leg articulation, and you'll get a Thumbs Down regarding the articulation for Ben.

Accessories: You get a POTJ Old Ben Blue Lightsaber, which is basically the only thing he ever used in the OT. And the cloak....... The cloak is decent enough, but hard to get on because of the elbow articulation. When you get it on, you then see how big it is. You have to fold pieces just to make it look movie accurate. The arms are big too, and the cloak as a whole is extra thick. Thumbs in the middle for accessories.

Overall: While I still recommend the figure, I would keep him on display, or carded. He is definately not a playable figure, and you see why once you take it out of the package. Definately not the "Ultimate" version Hasbro hyped it to be.

Grade: B- (B Minus)

Here is how I would rank the VOTC figs from Wave 1 so far (I still don't have Luke yet, so keep that in mind):

1. Han
2. Leia
3. Obi-Wan

Both figures are recommended by me. Hope you enjoyed the review.  :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC Leia and Obi-Wan
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2004, 10:27 PM »
Good review...is the Leia worth buying?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2004, 10:30 PM »
I would say she is..... I don't have many Leia figures, but this one is the best I own. I would say it's worth retail price, but not the $20 some websites want for her.

(I've seen her the cheapest at Amazon)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 7, 2004, 08:10 AM »
Oh there you go again, plugging Amazon... ::)

Nice review too, btw. I thought you mentioned pics earlier though.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -