Author Topic: Star Wars Shopping: Buy It When You See It?  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Star Wars Shopping: Buy It When You See It?
« on: August 10, 2004, 01:38 PM »
Maybe this belongs better in a different section, since it isn't necessarily "exclusive" to the OTC figures, but since that is what is supposed to be currently shipping, I thought it somewhat applied here.  If not, feel free to move!  Anyways, I was just wondering when you go out checking the stores for Star Wars, and you see something new (that you want), do you go ahead and buy it right away?  My wife gives me a hard time because when I see something new, that I don't have (and want), I usually just buy it right away (within reason, have to pass on higher ticket items like the new Falcon, etc. sometimes).  I do this because (1) I want to add it to my collection and (2) Star Wars, at least in my area, often seems like if you skip it the first time you see it, you might not see it again.

Of course, it always depends on the figure/vehicle/toy/statue, etc., as some of them seem to come back again (especially lately, with repack mania going on this year), but I guess there is always just this thought in the back of my head that "if I don't get it now, its not showing up here again."  Of course, I am within reason, we're not going without food or something so I can have a Star Wars toy ;).  I was just wondering if any of you experience this too, it seems like collecting Star Wars is a hobby that can sometimes be "get 'em while the getting is good"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Star Wars Shopping: Buy It When You See It?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 01:50 PM »
For the basic figures, I buy them as soon as I come across them, because they're rarely stocked.
This also applies to other lines I collect.
Everything else I buy when I'm ready to. Vehicles, 12", Beasts, gift sets.
Two local WMs sold out of a ton of OTC this weekend, so figures are hot around here. (As they are everywhere else, I'm sure.)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 02:25 PM »
That's pretty much the same concept I go with in general Ben, and you said it much shorter than I did ;).  The basic figures, I pretty much buy them when I see them.  They aren't as big of a hit on the bank account at $5 per, and they seem to disappear quickly.  I too saw the OTC the first week they were hitting everywhere, and haven't seen them since.  Luckily I was able to find the Dagobah/Bespin waves that first weekend.  Occasionally, I will pick up Unleashed right away, specifically if I know it is a tough one to come by.  Otherwise, I tend to let the higher ticket items (ships, etc.) go for awhile if I don't have the funds.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 03:15 PM »
I would agree with the basic figs.  They had a huge endcap full at my WM a month back and were there for days.  Plus they had another section in the toy aisle.  Easily over 150 figures.  Went back this weekend and they only had about 5-6 left.  Needless to say, I made the right decision.  

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 05:58 PM »
I do this because ... seems like if you skip it the first time you see it, you might not see it again.

Yep, that's exactly it.  I learned years ago, just buy everything the first time you see it, just to be safe.  I know there's been a number of times where I bought some figures that I never once saw again after that.  Much better to be safe than sorry, and have to resort to the secondary market later on.  Some of the higher ticket items can usually wait though, as they don't disappear nearly as quickly.

Granted, this can be quite expensive if you stumble upon some serious Star Wars stash all at once, or over a span of just a few days.  But if you can afford it, best to just buy it all then and there.  Of course, not everyone has the luxury of doing that due to financial restraints, so to those people, I'd advise carefully considering each figure/item, and determining it's potential for scarcity later on.  A Tatooine Luke?  You can probably find more of him later on if you need to.  An OTC Stormtrooper or clean Biker Scout, which everyone wants, and army-builders want TONS of, buy it IMMEDIATELY.  Don't ever fart around with the HTF army builders, as those can be tough to come by.  I don't think I ever saw the Commtech Stormtrooper at retail, and I think I saw only 2 of the HOF ones, if that's any indication.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 06:04 PM »
I buy it as soon as I see it, escpecially if it's an army builder.  I remember when those 3-packs clonetroopers were popping up in every color. I spent about $100.00 bucks in one week just on those guys (for me and helping others out)...it was insane but I'm glad I did because they never resurfaced around here.

Beth

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 06:58 PM »
i pretty much learned the hard to way to buy things when i see them. if i'm lucky, i get to see things once. and that's about it... things disappear very quickly in my area, and are never to be seen again. it's like the freakin' bermuda triangle around here...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 07:20 PM »
I held off on some items in the past and got burned.  Case in point, the EPISODE I Jabba the Hutt with 2-headed announcer.  I saw it at retail once, thought "Oh, I can buy is later", and it didn't show up again.  That was one of the only instances where I really got burned.

With figures, especially with a select few that have been HTF, I've bought them as soon as possible.  After all, there were some I just never saw at retail.  Case in point, the last wave of Clone Wars.  Never saw it!  Thankfully I was able to trade for them.  That mentality of getting the figures ASAP has helped in numerous instances.  Like the Toy Fair Darth Vader fiasco, the Jorg Sacul figure, Ephant Mon, the McQuarrie Stormtrooper, etc.

But now, several years older and wiser, I'm conciously holding off on the Millenium Falcon.  I don't think they're all going to sell right away.  The pricetag is a little prohibitive for that.  Plus, I'm in the stores often enough to recognize when things start to disappear.  Here's to hoping it goes on clearance at Target around Christmastime!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 07:23 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 08:27 PM »
Basic Figures that I want, I'll pick up immediately (same with the VOTC). Sometimes I see stuff again, sometimes I don't. I don't buy many vehicles, but those are usually plentiful around here.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 05:15 AM »
I tend to pick things up right away if I really want it. For example the VOTC figures are getting snatched up each time I see a new one, same goes for the OTC although thats limited to a select few, whereas the VOTC I want them all.

Since the Saga line began though I have started becoming a bit more select though in what I want, for instance I'm no longer trying to get the 3rd or 4th versions of some figures, I skipped on several 2003 figs because of that and the more recent Bossk fig. I am hoping when ROTS comes out I will do then what I did for AOTC and only pick up a couple of the cool (to me at least) figs right away and then wait for the price to be dropped on the glut that will be the rest of the line at the time. I don't know if I will last too long, I went 4 months before picking up the remaining first waves of Saga due to a $3 ea sale at Kmart, then again had I waited a few more months I could have gotten the same figs for a buck at KB. But you can never truly know and that's the problem we face as collectors.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 08:24 AM »
But now, several years older and wiser, I'm conciously holding off on the Millenium Falcon.  I don't think they're all going to sell right away.  The pricetag is a little prohibitive for that.  Plus, I'm in the stores often enough to recognize when things start to disappear.  Here's to hoping it goes on clearance at Target around Christmastime!

That's what I've been trying to do as well, with the Falcon.  I'd really like to pick it up, but I do have the POTF2 version too.  My wife doesn't see why I need the "same ship", and I can see her point, and plus, I don't have the room for it right now.  The ones I have seen at Target and TRU haven't sold, and are still sitting there, so maybe there is potential to get it cheaper later on.  I could justify a $30-$40 price much better than $50 to $55.  It does look like a nice upgrade though, and we probably won't get another one for quite some time.  Plus, its my favorite ship of the Saga, so I'd really like to get it, even if it is just for the purty lights on the back  :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 01:27 PM »
Brian, just tell Mrs. mosnab that she could be worse off, she could be living in Canada where the Falcon sells for $79.99 plus 14% tax :-*  It's already on sale for you.  

As far as the topic at hand goes, ever the contrarian....

I am trying to approach things quite the opposite and wait as much as I can for figures.  It never works that way, but it's the philosophy I am trying to apply.  Being in Canada, I tend to rely a great deal on US collectors/friends for much of what I get so I inevitably pay shipping regardless.  So why not wait?  

Watching modern stuff on ebay I almost weep every night.  Cinema scenes, a packaging idea I love, can be had almost universally for less than $10 each.  I paid near $30 Cdn (about $23 US) for each.  Were I to start a collection now, there would be some figures that would cost me more than retail: Ephant Mon, TF Vader, Sacul, etc.  Some would cost me retail: army builders for the most part, but even some of those can be had for less than retail.  Most figures from the modern era can be had for around $3 each or less.  

I think OTC is an exception to that rule in many cases, simply because of the cardbacks.  But the Dagobah and Bespin figures?  I foresee cheap prices on these.  Stormtrooper and Scout trooper probably about even.  Some of the others above retail, but I don't think we've even seen much of a release on these things yet.  Shouldn't the major push coincide with when the DVD's are in store?  Kids, are the market ::), and many will need to have their memories refreshed before wanting figures.  Ergo, after they've watched and fallen in love with the OT, they'll rush out with mommy and daddy to find the figures on the shelves.  In September.  

That should be the rationale for Hasbro, shouldn't it?  Shouldn't distribution follow that logic?  Or am I living in a fantasy world (and if so, why do I have to work?).  

Truthfully?  Buy it when I see it :-[  pathetic.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 02:08 PM »
I buy 99% of the stuff I want the first time I see it.  Unless it's at a collector show or somewhere way overpriced.  But I don't mind paying an extra $1-$2 from time to time for a new figure that I don't have yet.

:P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 10:28 PM »
In a word:  Hell yes!  OK, so that was two words.  But yeah, I never pass on anything in a retail store if I'm going to ever potentially be interested in it.  The figures are a no-brainer.  Bigger things, like the OTC Millenium Falcon, I can wait on though, 'cause I KNOW those will sit around for a little while, while I wait to find a nice mint one.

Don't think I've ever learned my lesson the hard way, since I've always bought first, and asked questions later.  But I do know there's been a number of things that I saw ONE time, or that I never saw but my wife found once, that I've NEVER seen again.  So had we passed on those, I would've been screwed.