Author Topic: VOTC Stormtrooper availability?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
VOTC Stormtrooper availability?
« on: August 12, 2004, 12:29 PM »
Seeing that the first wave is pretty darn easy to acquire now, what do you all think about the ROTJ wave?  Will there be enough Stormtroopers for those that want a few?

:P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC Stormtrooper availability?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 12:35 PM »
Of course not. Maybe there will, but they won't be clogging the pegs. Of course, the ROTJ figs are shipping one figure of each per case, along with older ESB and ANH figs, so that alone will make them rare.

Of course this wave will already be hard to find, since some of the VOTC figures seem to be slight Pegwarmers so far (Seen tons of Hans and Bens, but only saw Luke and Leia once).
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 02:12 PM »
Will there be enough Stormtroopers for those that want a few?

It depends on what you mean by a 'few'.  Finding one or two shouldn't be a problem.  However, trying to build an army of VOTC Stormies is going to be very difficult, even at $10.  But I'm sure there are hoarders out there who will probably go to each and every store within a 10 mile radius and nab each and every VOTC Stormie they see.    
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 02:49 PM »
Yeah, I think it's definitely going to be challenging, to say the least.  Heck, I think it's gonna be tough just to get one or two of 'em, based on the fact that I never once saw the Commtech Stormtrooper at retail, and have only seen two HOF Stormtroopers to date.  This is going to be the ultimate army building Star Wars figure of all time, probably, and as such, it will likely be one of the hardest figures to find at retail ever, despite the $10 tag.  That's why for the first time ever, I actually pre-ordered a case from EE.  I'm that nervous about him (and Fett, to a lesser extent).

I don't think the overabundance of the current wave 1 of VOTC is necessarily going to be indicative of how easy the next two waves are going to be to find at retail.  I think since Han, Luke, Leia and Ben have each been rehashed a million times over, and are not quite as popular characters as the subsequent VOTC figures coming, that they'll ultimately wind up being the easiest wave to find, by far.  Plus, it's the first wave, which usually means higher quantities ordered, more repacks in subsequent cases (of the following waves), etc.  If they continue to hang on the pegs for a bit, as they've already been doing around here lately, that might mean fewer orders placed by retailers for the last 2 VOTC waves.  I think each wave is going to get progressively harder to find, especially if you're looking for multiples.  One or two will probably be do-able, if you're an active searcher in the toy aisles.  Just need some luck and good timing really...

But back to the Stormtrooper...  He's gonna be VERY tough, I think.  Like Force Guy mentioned, a lot of folks (especially the army builders) will be casing their entire areas (and a LOT more than just a 10 mile radius, I'd suspect  ;)), scooping up EVERY last one of them that they can possibly find.  It's going to be hard for most everyone (if they get the opportunity) not to be too greedy with this most excellent figure!   :-\

Bottom line is, Hasbro's a giant turd if they don't find a way to subsequently get some more of these Stormtroopers distributed in some other manner, later on, after the VOTC line has run it's course.  I think most of us are PRAYING for an updated version of the Stormtrooper Army Building Packs with him in it...   8)  (despite Hasbro adamantly saying they'd NEVER release this figure outside of the VOTC line  ::))
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 02:55 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 02:50 PM »
But I'm sure there are hoarders out there who will probably go to each and every store within a 10 mile radius and nab each and every VOTC Stormie they see.    

Hey... I resemble that remark.  :-[

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 09:30 PM »
I really, honestly hate being so pessimistic all the time, but Hasbro has conditioned me this way. I've this terrible feeling the Stormie, and Fett as well, are going to be the new SA Clone. We'll be choking on VOTC Han, Ben, and even Luke (just watch), will find the occasional ESB wave, and then struggle to find any ROTJ since the certain wave 1/2 figures are warming.

They'd better seriously be reconsidering their SDCC remark about no re-releases, because there will be hell to pay if people don't get a fair chance at the coolest figures of the 12 VOTC.  >:(

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 09:51 PM »
do you think that the amount of retailers who over-ordered on the wave 1 figures will cut back when it comes to wave 3, therby cutting back on the amount of troops - as well as fetts - that will even be available?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 12:20 AM »
I'm reading a lot online that these are "pegwarming", and overflowing at some stores.

Just not the case in Pittsburgh.  There's remnants hanging around, but Han's and Leia's aren't exactly "pegwarming".  I'd say Luke's backing up a little now due to crappiness.  Ben as well.

I just don't see this "pegwarming" really being the case on wave 1.  Maybe Pittsburgh is the exception to the rule this time around.  I dunno.

I want to maybe see this weekend or something what's out and abuot here right now.  As it stands, we're doing ok and I'm hoping Wave 2 and 3 each see good distribution.

I still hope Hasbro has the God given common sense to re-release a lot of these figures in some fashion, be it army building, or sets, or whatnot.  Fett, Vader, and Stormtrooper especially strike me as "hot" figures no matter how you release them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 02:33 AM »
I wouldn't say they're pegwarmers, but they sit for days before moving.  I don't know if it's the price, or if no one shops for toys at Target anymore (they only get new stuff when they reset two or three times a year it seems).

Stormie could easily turn into an SA Clone, but it's still too early to tell.  We'll know when the DVD hits whether these pile up or not.  I suspect they won't.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 02:04 PM »
Good thoughts gentlemen.

These figures (especially Han and Obi Wan) can be found at every Target in my area (and most Walmarts), but they don't seem to be hanging on for too long.  They steadily disappear while more SAGA stuff seems to keep accumulating.

I think the Stormtrooper will be acquirable, but will definitely be the toughest to get a few of.  A few lucky toy runs should help the army-builder in myself nab a small squad for my collection.

:P

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 08:32 PM »
Here'shoping Hasbro will release these as a case of only stormtroopers
God how good would that be?
Walking into a shop and seeing a wall of stormies?
I got one preordered , i'm not missing out on this.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself