Author Topic: madden 2005 vs. espn nfl 2k5  (Read 1265 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
madden 2005 vs. espn nfl 2k5
« on: August 12, 2004, 11:39 PM »
so, out of the two new football games for this year, which do you prefer? i bought espn nfl 2k5 (for xbox), and i admit that the $20 price tag (actually, it was $15.88 @ target) had alot to do with it. but i also rented and played madden 2005 (for ps2), and i have to say that i just think the espn nfl 2k5 is a better game. better gameplay, better graphics, better features... just all in all a better game.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: madden 2005 vs. espn nfl 2k5
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 11:51 PM »
I'm all about NCAA, but if I had to buy a pro game this year, no doubt it would be ESPN for the XBox.

If they were the same price, I'd probably go for Madden--if only to be able to export my draft class from NCAA. 

I love that they priced ESPN so low.  Truly an innovative, agressive move, and I hope that they either tromp all over Madden in sales, or get EA to lower their price to be somewhat competitive.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 11:57 PM »
and i thought it was gonna be a case of "spend $20, get $20 worth of game" if you know what i mean... but it is anything but. and from what i understand, the espn nhl 2k5 and nba 2k5 are both gonna have the same price point when they get released later this year  :D

i seriously doubt that ea will lower the price on madden anytime soon. they just have such a large customer base that will buy the game year in year out regardless of new innovations, new gameplay, or anything else for that matter. i was talking to a friend of mine who works at gamestop in town, and he told me that they had over 200 people lined up outside their store at midnite on monday, 'cause they were opening at 12:01am tuesday just to sell madden.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 12:18 AM »
and i thought it was gonna be a case of "spend $20, get $20 worth of game" if you know what i mean... but it is anything but.

Yeah, the reviews and the word-of-mouth on it so far have been really positive.

and from what i understand, the espn nhl 2k5 and nba 2k5 are both gonna have the same price point when they get released later this year  :D

That's great news.

i seriously doubt that ea will lower the price on madden anytime soon.

Well, even if EA doesn't do anything new with their pricing structure until next year, then that's still a good thing.

they just have such a large customer base that will buy the game year in year out regardless of new innovations, new gameplay, or anything else for that matter. i was talking to a friend of mine who works at gamestop in town, and he told me that they had over 200 people lined up outside their store at midnite on monday, 'cause they were opening at 12:01am tuesday just to sell madden.

Kinda like the prequels--no matter how mediocre they are, rest assured that people will wait in line for hours to be the first to experience them.  When you've been THE NFL football game for over a decade running, you're gonna have situations like that.

I think it's going to be interesting to watch these two franchises battle it out over the Christmas season.  I'd love it if ESPN could knock Madden off it's throne, which may be impossible thanks to Madden's built-in audience.  But at the very least, I think ESPN will really take a big chunk out of Madden's sales, and hopefully the result will be either some lower prices or more-innovative gameplay next year.  Maybe both.

Either way, gamers win.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."