Author Topic: The Beginning of POTF2  (Read 18201 times)

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
Re: The Beginning of POTF2
« Reply #30 on: September 7, 2006, 05:00 PM »
I was working for a comic distributor at the time, capital city if any of you can remember them. So I was always up on the new toys/comics/games/hobby stuff. Those were good times. When the new line came out I think they hit K-Mart first (after direct sales-I think these hit comic shops before retail) and then trickled down to Wal-Mart and everywhere else. Leia was a pain to get as was C-3po. Early cases pretty much only had Luke, Vader, Obi-wan, Han and R2. I think Leia and C-3po were 1 per case additions to the second wave and then it just snowballed from there. Then there was the variant phase where everyone was freaking out about the short/long saber/tray deal. I remember it got muddy after that. Green cards and orange cards looked like they were shipping out at the same time and then they added the holo's. You could open a case and find two of the same fig but one would have the holo and one wouldn't. Then the Freeze Frames started to hit and I'd had it by then. There was a frenzy going on at that point to get the new waves so I got sick of it and stopped getting them. I didn't pick the hobby up again until ROTS. I wanted to collect not fight the masses. That said, I have every Wizard that I ever bought while working for Capital (and later Diamond). I started there in 93 I think so I'll see if I can locate one of the earlier wizards that goes into the POTF2 release. If it existed I'd have it. I think someone mentioned it was in the 50's and my collection should go back to the 30's-high 20's issues. I know I have them, just not in order and not in the same places. I probably even have the Advanced Comics catalog with the pre-order info on them still. I kept all that crap because most of it came with trading cards and I wanted a price reference for the future.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 04:21 PM »
I was just reading through the replies here again, thanks everyone.  I was going through and cleaning out some of my storage totes (getting kind of full), and came across some POTF2 figures I had packed away - and it made me think of this topic again.  Like I've said before, I regret not collecting then - because I bet it was a fun time.  I don't know why it fascinates me - maybe because it was the first "new" Star Wars figures out for 10 years, maybe it was the more "simple time" of collecting with just a couple dozen figures a year at most, along with a few vehicles.  It seems like, at times, collecting becomes a stressful event these days - just with what the action figure collecting "business" has become even since 95.  The figures might look kind of crappy now, but it does have a sort of nostalgia to it in a vintage sort of way too.  Anyways, just wanted to bump this up if anyone else has stories to share, or comments.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 7, 2007, 08:18 PM »
The figures might look kind of crappy now, but it does have a sort of nostalgia to it in a vintage sort of way too.

I totally agree.  Many of the POTF2 figures are nostalgic to me since it was a return to collecting.  I like to think of them as neo-vintage.  ;)