Author Topic: GG Armory Vault 1/6th Scale Helmets  (Read 5444 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
GG Armory Vault 1/6th Scale Helmets
« on: February 16, 2004, 02:03 PM »
Well...  There was certainly an interesting development this weekend, which I would say definitely seems to pertain to this short-lived line of Riddell helmets, and our desire to have seen it continue...

Look familiar?

Gentle Giants is coming out with an all-new subline of 1/6 scale helmets called the Armory Collection - which look pretty much exactly like the Riddell ones here.  Were the Riddell versions 1/6 also?  Can't recall right now.  So anyway, for you mini-helmet collectors out there, better strap on your boots full of cash, 'cause it looks like this line is coming back in a major way!  The GG helmets are going to be packaged in PAIRS, and they've supposedly already got over 50 different helmets in the works!   :o

From RS:

I'm guessing this will definitely drive the price of the Riddell Stormtrooper WAY down, as soon as Gentle Giants releases their version...   8)

So, who's going to collect these things?  Anyone seen a SRLP on them?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 02:10 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 02:37 PM »
Whoa.  As in oh-oh.  

I only took a cursory look last night.  Looked at the pic of the X-wing pilot, turned around, looked at my Riddell X-wing pilot helmet and went hmm.  I hadn't seen all the other information but it had intrigued me, to say the least, given that the mock up art work looked identical to the Riddell stuff.  

Like you, I'm concerned about the scale.  Not sure if 1/6 will be accurate to Riddell or not.  I sure hope so in some respects.  Contemplating unloading the Fett and X-wing really, really quick if not.  Vader and 3PO were cheap enough regardless, but....

50 helmets?! :o  Oh my.  This could be quite bad.  From the artwork you posted, I'm not so keen on the display posts included but I'll get over that.  Two packs don't do much for me either as I'm reading too much into this and expecting an Xwing to be packaged with a Tie Fighter helmet, the latter of which I want.  The former I do not, unless I unload mr. Riddell.  But then what of quality?  As good?  Should be with gentle giant but...

Aaaaaargh.  

From that pick I see 12 or more I would want.  Not so keen on Boussh, DST or Wedge's helmet.  The AT-AT is a meh, maybe but the rest :o

Price point would sure help too.  If these are going to retail for $60+ for a pair, I may keep my Riddell's.  For now I'll keep them anyway.  And hopefully you're right Matt, it will drive the price back down.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 02:43 PM »
Well from doing all the reading about this line, as I'm pretty interested in it, it does not sound like this will be nearly as big as the Riddell helmets. Try more like 2 inches in size and something to the affect of helmets that would fit perfectly on a 12" figure. So keep those Riddell helmets, as these seemingly are much smaller, though just as detailed from the looks of it.

I've also read that they will be sold as sets of 2 and retail for $30. Kind of spendy for something this small but if the quality and detail are there, maybe not so bad. Will have wait until these are out before I decide for sure if I want to collect them.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 02:48 PM »
Gentle Giant Busts Out Big And Small

Scroll to ARMORY VAULT!  ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 02:55 PM »
Just read GH's blurb on these.  Interesting...  Yeah, it looks like the scale is a lot smaller - suitable for the 12" figures actually.  So the Riddell ones must be more like 1/4 scale or something.

Little confused on the price now though.  GH says $30 each and that two helmets would be released in each wave.  So is it $30 for one helmet, or two?  If it's the former, then count me out.  If it's the latter, then I'll probably bite.

Guess the hunt continues for Mr. Riddell Stormie, and that the price won't be dipping lower after all...   :'(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 03:05 PM »
Yup, just remembered 40% for Riddell so not quite 1/2, substantially larger.  Keeping Riddell folks for now, obviously.  

Not at all sure of these now either.  That sounds about the same size as those accursed Rubik's cubes (remember Matt ;)) and therefore not that interesting, especially at that price point.  Wowza.  Depends on how they pack them I suppose.  If I can score the imperials I'll be more tempted, but if indeed they pack and imperial with a rebel, it will probably save me money.  Whew.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 03:10 PM »

Little confused on the price now though.  GH says $30 each and that two helmets would be released in each wave.  So is it $30 for one helmet, or two?  If it's the former, then count me out.  If it's the latter, then I'll probably bite.

What I've been reading is that it's $30 for a 2-pack of them, if I'm understanding correctly. That's the only way I'm going to be interested in them. If they're $30 for a single helmet, then I'm out too.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: GG Armory Vault 1/6th Scale Helmets
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 05:12 PM »
So I checked some of these out at GG's booth at Comic Con, and fortunately wasn't quite as impressed with them as I thought I'd be...  So it looks like I might be off the hook with this particular collection, which is a good thing since $15 each (I think) is going to be a little pricey over the course of this 50 helmet line ($750 total).  Might look around for a deal on them later on, but probably not going in from the start...

Anyone else gonna go for them?  Should be coming out pretty soon now...

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 06:16 PM »
I'm torn on this line, but leaning towards a no at the moment. With the mini busts, maquettes and two different scaled statue lines, I think they're getting enough of my money credit right now.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 07:03 PM »
I really don't do many high-end collectibles.  I have a Tarkin Bust, and that's about it, so I'm actually liking these images.  May go with "military" helmets from the line...

IE: No Vader and likely no prequal stuff, but I'd consider doing Imperial/Rebel helmets.

They're really  nice...  Kinda makes Hasbro's 12" figures look silly really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 07:16 PM »
i think i'm gonna have to go for them all... i mean, it's not like they are asking me for $750 in one shot. if i can pick up these helmets for $15 each, say 4 at a time or so, i'm all over it. hopefully i can find a nice wall mounted display case or something to display them in... have to wait till i see how big they are, and if they come with some kind of stand like the riddell helmets did.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 07:49 PM »
Dave, these suckers were much smaller than I expected.  Just about the exact size of a 12" figure's noggin (as those figures are technically 1/6th scale as well).

At Comic Con, they had the helmets displayed on small black stands, similar to what you'd get with the Riddell helmets.  No idea if those come standard or not though.  Might've just been a part of their SDCC display.  Dunno...

Here's one of our pix from the Con, as an FYI.

I'd guess that those stands are probably included with them...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 07:55 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 12:01 AM »
Must....exercise....self....control.  Aw, **** it.

Vader
Stormtrooper
Boba
Biker Scout
Snowtrooper
DSG
AT-AT
Royal Guard
Tie Pilot

OT only....OT only.....OT only..... ::)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 12:10 AM »
it always starts out that way... ot only, ot only... and then bam! before you know it, you're done.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 12:19 AM »
it always starts out that way... ot only, ot only... and then bam! before you know it, you're done.

So true.  I think at one time I said, yeah, just a white and a red clonetrooper and I'll be done with that ::)  About 40 clonetroopers ago :-[