Author Topic: Saw Things So Much Clearer...Pearl Jam Thread V4.0  (Read 46643 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Saw Things So Much Clearer...Pearl Jam Thread V4.0
« Reply #60 on: August 4, 2004, 09:29 AM »
I'd like to see R.E.M...I can't stand Springsteen though, Fogerty would be cool to check out too, lets call that plan B

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #61 on: August 4, 2004, 09:36 AM »
For as unique as this thing is, I can't help but think about how huge one big show, with all of the artists would be.  

Wouldn't that be great?  Do it in one of the swing states on one of the weekends right before the election?  That'd be some good stuff.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 4, 2004, 10:20 AM »
damn. no new york shows? i guess reading, pa ain't that far. couple hours drive. and it's on a friday.

i think i'm going.

*runs to call 10 club about tickets*

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #63 on: August 4, 2004, 11:06 AM »
Damn it.

The St. Louis show had to be on a Tuesday...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 4, 2004, 11:07 AM »
damn. no new york shows? i guess reading, pa ain't that far. couple hours drive. and it's on a friday.

i think i'm going.

*runs to call 10 club about tickets*

I did get an email today from the 10c about this tour, so I suppose they might have some tickets. ??? I dunno.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 5, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Not related to Pearl Jam directly, but related to the Vote For Change tour.
It's an op-ed piece written by Bruce Springsteen for the NY Times:

August 5, 2004

Chords for Change

By BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

A nation's artists and musicians have a particular place in its social and political life. Over the years I've tried to think long and hard about what it means to be American: about the distinctive identity and position we have in the world, and how that position is best carried. I've tried to write songs that speak to our pride and criticize our failures.

These questions are at the heart of this election: who we are, what we stand for, why we fight. Personally, for the last 25 years I have always stayed one step away from partisan politics. Instead, I have been partisan about a set of ideals: economic justice, civil rights, a humane foreign policy, freedom and a decent life for all of our citizens. This year, however, for many of us the stakes have risen too high to sit this election out.

Through my work, I've always tried to ask hard questions. Why is it that the wealthiest nation in the world finds it so hard to keep its promise and faith with its weakest citizens? Why do we continue to find it so difficult to see beyond the veil of race? How do we conduct ourselves during difficult times without killing the things we hold dear? Why does the fulfillment of our promise as a people always seem to be just within grasp yet forever out of reach?

I don't think John Kerry and John Edwards have all the answers. I do believe they are sincerely interested in asking the right questions and working their way toward honest solutions. They understand that we need an administration that places a priority on fairness, curiosity, openness, humility, concern for all America's citizens, courage and faith.

People have different notions of these values, and they live them out in different ways. I've tried to sing about some of them in my songs. But I have my own ideas about what they mean, too. That is why I plan to join with many fellow artists, including the Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., the Dixie Chicks, Jurassic 5, James Taylor and Jackson Browne, in touring the country this October. We will be performing under the umbrella of a new group called Vote for Change. Our goal is to change the direction of the government and change the current administration come November.

Like many others, in the aftermath of 9/11, I felt the country's unity. I don't remember anything quite like it. I supported the decision to enter Afghanistan and I hoped that the seriousness of the times would bring forth strength, humility and wisdom in our leaders. Instead, we dived headlong into an unnecessary war in Iraq, offering up the lives of our young men and women under circumstances that are now discredited. We ran record deficits, while simultaneously cutting and squeezing services like afterschool programs. We granted tax cuts to the richest 1 percent (corporate bigwigs, well-to-do guitar players), increasing the division of wealth that threatens to destroy our social contract with one another and render mute the promise of "one nation indivisible."

It is through the truthful exercising of the best of human qualities - respect for others, honesty about ourselves, faith in our ideals - that we come to life in God's eyes. It is how our soul, as a nation and as individuals, is revealed. Our American government has strayed too far from American values. It is time to move forward. The country we carry in our hearts is waiting.

----------------------
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/05/opinion/05bruce.html

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #66 on: August 5, 2004, 11:00 AM »
I heard something on the Radio this morning about Jessica Simpson doing something to support Bush, is she trying to organize a competing event?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 5, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Yeah, there's something brewing for the Bushie crowd too.

They've got Ricky Martin and Jessica Simpson.

And it's going to blow.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 7, 2004, 12:28 PM »
Back to the Pearl Jam topic...

10c has Yield LPs in stock, which is good for people like me who don't have it yet.
Now if through some miracle they'd get some No Code, Binaural, and Live on Two Legs LPs, I'd be set. 8)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2004, 04:43 PM »
From Billboard.com--

Pearl Jam Eyeing Winter Studio Return

After Pearl Jam reassembles in early October for its first live shows in nearly a year, the Seattle rock outfit will get busy on its eighth studio album. "I think they're planning on going back to the studio this winter," manager Kelly Curtis tells Billboard.com. As for a possible release date, Curtis would only say, "When they're done, they give it to us and we go."

The group will play six shows in October as part of the Vote for Change tour, which Curtis helped organize with the managers of Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews, R.E.M. and the Dixie Chicks. The trek kicks off Oct. 1 in Pennsylvania and will proceed to eight additional presidential election battleground states.

"We were getting bombarded with requests to play around the election, and I thought I would seek out some advice," he says of the tour's genesis. "So I called [Sprinsgteen manager] Jon Landau to see how they were dealing with all the stuff coming in. The more we talked, the more we thought it would be a good idea to get a bunch of managers together and try to get educated."

"What came out of there was five managers connecting and deciding that we should try to pull off some kind of swing-state tour. Then, it became a logistical nightmare," he adds with a laugh. Curtis declined to comment on the possibility of additional acts being added to the tour or rumors of an Oct. 10 all-star finale show in Florida.

As for Pearl Jam's specific concerts with Death Cab For Cutie, on-sale dates are still being finalized. Curtis doesn't expect the shows to be made available as part of Pearl Jam's ongoing authorized bootleg series, because "it might be a little shorter set from Pearl Jam [than usual], or a lot of collaboration. But then you're dealing with other people's record companies and it gets too complicated."

Curtis hinted at additional Pearl Jam shows in 2004 but declined to reveal specifics. Asked if the band would unveil some new material at Vote for Change appearances, he said, "I'm sure that will be the case."

Having left longtime label Epic last year, Pearl Jam crowned its free agent status with the July 27 release of "Live at Benaroya Hall" via its own Ten Club fan organization and a distribution deal with BMG. The set debuted last week at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Internet Album Sales tally and No. 18 on The Billboard 200 thanks to first-week sales of 52,000 copies.

"This was a perfect record to try something new with some different folks," he says. "Luckily, we don't have to decide [about potentially signing with a new label] right now. We want to do as much as we can ourselves, and for what we can't do or don't want to do, we'll rely on someone else."

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2004, 04:34 PM »
okay, my buddy got an email from the 10 club yesterday about these a.c.t. shows. seems like there's not going to be any "preferred" seating for 10c members, which kinda sucks, since it's not a pearl jam tour, just some benefits for a.c.t.

but, since he is a member of the 10c he's gonna be able to get in on a pre-sale for tickets, so we should still end up with some good seats. although nothing can compare to last years 6th row, 13th row, and 2nd row shows  :( - but nothing ever will i guess.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Best PJ Bootlegs, Suggestions
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2004, 09:52 AM »
I have been listening to nothing but the PJ bottlegs over the last few weeks and wished I had bought more of them.  Would of been pretty expensive I guess.  So im curious as to which ones are must haves for everyone.  Looking for some recommendations.  To be honest some of them are not that great while others are amazing.  BTW, what was the final tally on each tour? Im resorting to ebay for some I missed since there are only a handful out on the markest still and I have them all.  Thanks.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2004, 10:08 AM »
Some of my personal Favs:

From 2002/03 (73 Total Shows)

Boston Trilogy
State College
The two New York Shows
Buffalo
Atlanta
Tampa
Syndey
Tokyo
East Troy
Saint Paul
Fargo (went to these last three ;))

From 2000 (72 total shows):

Katowice #2
Toronto
East Troy (again I was there)
Seattle #2
Chicago
Boise (great show one of my favorites of the tour)
Las Vegas
Jones Beach #1
Jones Beach #2
Boston
Philly #1

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2004, 10:12 AM »
Hey Jim!

Get this! You all know by now about Pearl Jam's mini-tour in October 2004. Well, it has just been confirmed that Pearl Jam and Death Cab for Cutie will be playing a special show at the Fleet Center in Boston, MA on Tuesday, September 28th at 7:30!!!

"It's been awhile since we've played together and we were all excited about coming together and playing a special show somewhere before we kick off the Vote for Change tour. Boston is one of our all-time favorite cities to play so it seemed like the perfect place to do that," says Mike McCready of Pearl Jam on why the band decided to play Boston.

The 10C and Ticketmaster are having a fan club only pre-sale on Wednesday and Thursday, August 25th and 26th, from 12-6 pm Eastern time. Your special Ticketmaster access code for this show is the same code you received for the Vote for Change presale. Please note, your ticket access code is viewable in your member profile on pearljam.com once you have logged in. This password may only be used once for this ticket presale, so do not share it with anyone.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2004, 10:26 AM »
I saw this Scott and I all I can say is that im going to be sick.  Im out of town that week.  But am working on changing my schedule.   ???