Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63570 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope
« on: February 13, 2004, 01:47 PM »

So, it looks like we've finally got our answer to this little "vintage-styled" figure enigma, and it surprisingly appears to be along the line of our oft-requested "Definitive - Figure" line!   8)  Who'da thunk it?!

Now I'm just a little pissed that this subline is purported to only be 12 figures, 'cause this is what we've all been waiting for!  My only qualm here (and this is a hotly contested subject) is the soft goods...  I think the Luke looks pretty nice (except for the bug-eyes), but Obi-Wan looks like a giant burnt marshmellow!  I'm all for soft goods if Hasbro can find some that aren't "poofy", and that actually lie naturally.  Hopefully they'll come up with a slightly better fabric for Obi-Wan there by the time it's released.

Obviously, we're finally seeing the core characters in all their accurately sculpted, neutrally posed, super articulated glory - like we've long begged for.  That's great!  The only thing that cuts these short of wait we were ultimately hoping for is the lack of the "ultimate accessories" to go along with them.  Yeah, that's a greedy, albeit minor, gripe - but it would definitely be awesome if they threw in all their respective goodies as well!

So these are going to be coming out on repro VINTAGE cards (not in the OTC design), but on the actual vintage cardbacks from the 70's and 80's.  That's going to be really bizarre to see those hanging on retail pegs again...  Sounds like this subline's going to be a bit on the pricier side, since Jeff just pointed out in the OTC thread that EE has these listed for pre-order at over $10 each.  Ouch.  I think most of us agreed we'd be willing to pay a bit more for our "ultimate" versions of these characters, but double the price is a little bit painful.  I'm sure I'll cope though...

So, what are your predictions for the remaining 9 figures for this line?

ANH:
Luke
Han
Obi-Wan
Leia

ESB:
Yoda
Lando
Vader
Boba Fett

ROTJ:
Chewy
C-3PO
R2-D2
Stormtrooper

I just noticed my picks are identical to Mikey's in the OTC thread...  The only unfortunate exclusion here would be the Emperor.  Of course, we're also shifting a bunch of ANH figures into the other 2 movie's waves, so the actual "movie focus" idea is a little silly to me.  I'd have rather seen them pump out the original 12 ANH vintage figures, and toss in a few more from the other 2 movies, like Lando, Yoda, Fett, and the Emperor.  But here's to hoping for more from this cool line!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 02:20 PM by Nataku »

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage-Styled Figures - The Answer!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 02:14 PM »
What about a Vader?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 08:43 PM by JediMAC »
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Vintage-Styled Figures - The Answer!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 03:00 PM »
-----------
ESB:
Yoda
Lando
Vader
Boba Fett
-----------
What about a Vader?

Um...  Hello?  I think ya' just missed it, 'cause it's definitely in there Matt.   ;)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Vintage Style Figures from Hasbro???
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 03:07 PM »
Don't know if I like the soft goods, but I'll reserve judgement until I see them.  Also, I think your list is dead on JediMac.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 04:30 PM »
I must admit, I'm a little bit bummed that these "real vintage figures" didn't pan out, as some of us had been speculating:

ANH:
1. Grand Moff Tarkin
2. Rebel Fleet Trooper
3. Stormtrooper Han Solo
4. Cantina Band Member

ESB: (this movie was covered pretty well by Kenner)
1. Removable Helmet Darth Vader
2. Dagobah Luke
3. Admiral Piett
4. Spirit of Obi-Wan
5. Hoth Han (Brown coat)   :P

ROTJ:
1. Slave Leia
2. Oola
3. Mon Mothma
4. Wedge Antilles Pilot

But for the most part, it was really ANH that got that shaft by Kenner, so I'd almost prefer to see all 12 come from that flick alone (aside for the Slave Leia).  Here'd be my ANH 12-back assortment:

1. Grand Moff Tarkin
2. Rebel Fleet Trooper
3. Stormtrooper Han Solo
4. Cantina Band Member
5. Sandtrooper (Orange Pauldron)
6. Uncle Owen
7. Aunt Beru
8. Garindan
9. Dr. Evazan
10. Wuher
11. Biggs Pilot
12. Ceremonial Luke
---------------------------
12a. Admiral Motti
12b. Porkins
12c. Any one of the unmade Cantina aliens

I would've rather Hasbro put these new "Definitive" figures in the cool new OTC packaging where they should be, and made this "vintage" line exactly that - Vintage.  It would've been fun to fill in a lot of these holes from our childhood collections...  Oh well, the thought was fun while it lasted!   :-\

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 05:30 PM »
Hmm, I have a mixed reaction to these. I guess I'll wait until I see them in stores before buying them. They look... different, but I guess that was the whole purpose. ;)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 07:46 PM »
Super articulated figures of main characters gives me little reason to actually complain about these.  Though I do have some reservations about how they'll turn out looking (articulation aside).

-Luke Skywalker...  Shaping up nicely, but I don't quite follow why his cloak's made of soft-goods and not plastic?  Considering Luke didn't run about Tatooine Topless in the films, I'm a bit intrigued as to why the decision was made.  Simply articulating him heavily would've suited me, so long as the "skirt" piece that hangs over the legs were made of a very flexible plastic (Obi-Wan Coruscant Nightclub's a good example how to do this figure even, or even the FLash Back figure looked right).  The romvable belt's cool, and could've been done on a fully sculpted figure as well (even include a Stormie belt?).

-Obi-Wan...  Soft-Goods were a necessity on an Obi-Wan at some point.  Sculpted fans have had their Obi's with and without Robes since the start of the line so I'm happy to see one that actually can sit down for once.  Softgoods opponents will be upset, but, and this is blunt, I simply don't care.  Like I said, every Obi to this point has been sculpted...  Let the soft goods fans have THEIR figure too.  It's like Jedi Luke and his cloth cape.

-The ships...  In one big resounding voice I say, "Bleh".  I'm gonna skip them I believe...  I just cannot justify spending money on these unless they're truly impressively redone, but those photos imply they won't be at all, so I don't mind passing on them at all.  They look like all the old POTF2 original sculpts.  Just not interesting.

So, my opinion is that the figures rock.  Super Articulated versions of Star Wars figures are, and have been, an area this line has lacked competitively in since its inception in 1995.  It's nice to see Hasbro no longer turning a blind eye to articulation.  I hope we don't see an end to this concept of improved "toys" rather than statues.  This isn't something that should cease in movie years giving way to poorer quality again I don't believe.

I truly hope the Super Articulated Clonetrooper has opened the eyes of Hasbro that articulation CAN be done on these figures, and it doesn't need to look terrible, and it can make these characters more enticing to adults and kids alike.

I'm quite happy to see these figures and anxious to see the rest now.

And with the ships...  good for those who want them.  For me, I'm simply gonna pass this time.  If they go on sale, they go on sale, and I will consider purchasing them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Vintage assortment!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 10:42 AM »
Ok,these are my favorites of the bunch,super articulated and acurate.On the card backs it has a list of all the figs we are getting,including:ENDOR Han!OMG!This looks to be a very exciting time for collectors!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage assortment!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 11:21 AM »
Im stopping my figure/toy collecting except for a few choice items. I will definately get the re-vintage set, the figures that have been shown so far look fantastic.

In such a small set (only 12), I would have prefered another character instead of a second Han...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 11:29 AM »
Yeah,but,if it's as good as that other han... :D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 02:09 PM »
Well, we got our answer on who else is coming today, and it's real close to what most of us were predicting, with one notable exception:

ANH:
Luke
Leia
Han
Ben

ESB:
Yoda
Lando
Vader
C-3PO

ROTJ:
Chewbacca
R2-D2
Boba Fett
and...  Han Solo again?!?  WTF?

So either a carbonite Han, or Endor Han...  I would've much rather had an ultimate Stormtrooper or Emperor, but oh well.  11 out of 12 ain't bad.  These should be some incredible figures!  You can catch a glimpse of the Leia on the back of the Luke card that was shown.

SilverZ

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2004, 03:09 PM »
This is quite a lot of information to digest this morning about these.

Availability - GH is reporting that these assortments are a "ship once" situation, meaning availability could be an issue. I think the price point of 9.99 is fair - considering these are all technically ultimate editions of core characters we've so long requested. That price may help them sit on shelves a bit longer, but it didn't really do it for 300th Fett, which these are sort of the spiritual successor to. I'm going to opt for online preordering.

Han Solo ROTJ - My money is on Endor Han with a cloth jacket. It seems to make the most sense, since it fills two much needed areas - a vintage-style jacket that fits with the theming of the rest of the line, and a well-articulated figure underneath that can double, without the jacket, as a standard Han. With such limited slotting for figure choice, why a 2nd Han won out is still bizarro though.

Soft Goods - Yep, there should be much debate about this. I'm in the anti-soft goods camp, but the execution of these figures otherwise makes them acceptable to me. I'm sure for others this will be a great thing.

The future - This line is obviously a great test for Hasbro, IMO. We're getting exactly what we've been asking for, at a higher price point. If these go over well - which I hope they do - I wonder if we'll see this idea take a new form in 2005 and further. 12 figures on vintage cardbacks is a good idea for this year and tieing into the DVD, but beyond that, the idea actually limits the potential of what they are doing with the figures. We already have some great iconic candidates that would be perfect choices - Stormtrooper and Slave Leia come to mind. Imagine if, when the OTC is sidelined in '05 for the CTC (Crap Trilogy Collection), that this assortment actually became the OTC, keeping the idea behind the vintage, but with more modern packaging. We could see not only core characters but popular peripherals in ultimate form. Hopefully they'll find an eager market and there's enough of us hardcore collectors out there that will pay the $10 pricepoint to continue this past what we're getting this year.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2004, 04:01 PM »
Hasbro seems to be holding quite a bit back to announce later, which is surprising to me anyway.  $10 for the vintage figs?  I suppose it's fair considering.  Hopefully the ROTJ Han is the Endor version, he's much needed in any line.

The repack of Wicket I can understand but he needs a resculpt as much as anybody else.  I don't mind all the repacks, actually, it helps keep money it my pocket.  :)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2004, 05:56 PM »
Yeah, I dont doubt it would kick a load of ass, just in a highly limited, small set, I'd prefer another character. A stormtrooper would be cool, but would cause all mighty hell to break loose since everyone would want it, and it would be so limited.

As soon as I see these for presale on a trustworthy set, Im buying a case. 2 each for me, 1 to trade or sell. These will be a few of the very few figures I will continue collecting (the others being specials/exclusives and animated Clone Wars)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Yeah,this is definatly a preorder situation,since they only ship once.

Ewwww,a merged thread! ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 06:32 PM by Supreme General Vator »