Author Topic: OTC Screen Scenes, anyone?  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
OTC Screen Scenes, anyone?
« on: March 26, 2004, 04:29 PM »
I for one would love to see some nicely done OTC Screen Scenes, in the style of the AOTC War Room/Jedi Council sets.

I've seen the pictures of the OTC Cantina set (Wuher/Kitik?Evazen) and while it's nice to finally see these coming out, I think it would've been better to have a new big accessory coming with them, either the holy grail "bar U-piece" or the Distillery from the back or just a nicely done booth. I also loved the Trash Compactor Scene that sor tof opened the door for this whole idea.

What sorts of OTC Screen Scenes could we see? It seems the formula is one large prop cut in two, and three figures sold with each piece. I'll throw some ideas out right now:

• Death Star Control Room: a nice console piece tha snaps in two. One half comes with Stromtrooper Luke, Imperial Officer, and Death Star Trooper, the other with Chewie (with binders dangling from one wrist), Stormtrooper Han, and another Death Star Trooper.

• Cloud City Interrogation: The torture device snaps into a curved wall and doorway. The torture device itself comes with Bespin Han and two Stormtroopers. The hallway comes with Lando, Boba Fett, and Darth Vader.

• Ewok Village Celebration: an Ewok Hut that snaps in two, a bit of the floor of the village as well, maybe two rails. The first set comes with post-battle Luke (flap down), Rebel Pilot (Wedge?), and a celebrating Ewok. Set two comes with Han, Lando (celebration outfit), and Nien Nunb.
Any other ideas?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: OTC Screen Scenes, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 04:38 PM »
I'd like to see a recreation of the Final Scene of ESB somehow

I'd also like to see more Cantina Scenes:

Braniac, Bom Vimdin and Hem Dazon would make a good first set

The other one could be

Sai'torr and Hrchek Kal Fas and Dannik Jerriko (and the U piece for the bar)

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 04:46 PM »
Yeah, we certainly could do with more Scenes. But they need to get over a problem they’ve put themselves into, AGAIN…

What disappoints me about their current state is the loss of definition of what makes a “Screen Scene”. They went from being a great idea – the Trash Compactor sets, that gave 2 high quality (single carded level) figures and a meaty detailed playset component that linked up to make a big scene, to just basically 3-packs like the previous failed attempt at the line. That causes a serious problem, I think, that the upcoming TRU exclusives seem to be suffering from.

If you force a 3-character scenario with a base piece into the 19.99 price point, you get several problems: 1) What scenes work dynamically with 3 characters 2) The amount of time and manpower required to create those sculpts and base 3) The cost of goods in the plastic and deco for 3 figures and base to manufacture 4) size of packaging and shipping weight. When you look at what the end result is, you can see that they have cut corners to accommodate the 3rd figure – the scenes aren’t that interesting, the sculpts become retoolings in part, the base component becomes smaller and less detailed, and the quality of painting and articulation of the figure suffers. That’s at least what I see happening with the new Jedi Council sets.

So, I’d like to see them return to the 2 figure and a big base piece format like the Trash Compactor scene. That ESB final shot is a perfect example of how they should work, if a bit stark. But I’d prefer 2 sets with great, well detailed, highly articulated version of the 4 characters than forcing something like 21-B into it with a chair as well.

Sorry, this turned into a novel. Anyway, yes, more Screen Scenes for OTC, please. I’d like to see these recreated:

Yavin Ceremony

Set 1: Luke & Han Ceremonial Dress with 1/2 of a snap-together staircase and platform w/ multiple pegholes enough for 1/2 the entire characters in the scene.
Ser 2: 2 rebel army builders and the other 1/2 of the staircase.

Endor BBQ

Our heros on roasting pegs with a base large enough to add in Ewoks.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 05:02 PM »
I like what "Ty" said about two figures and a piece of equipmentm, so I'll stick along those lines.

I'd like to see an Imperial Big Wigs meeting set from ANH.  New versions of Tarkin and Motti and the rest of the old dudes that were there.  Package two figures and a piece of the table in each set.  Perfect for creating that scene or building up your Imperial ranks.  

Maybe a Rebel briefing scene with new pilots, commandos, leaders, heroes, etc.  Again two figures with maybe a piece of the circular meeting seats (at least enough to get a somewhat respectable "auditorium" going)  This would also be the perfect way to get the DSII hologram and projector table.  Again, perfect for that scene or just to build up your Rebel ranks.  Loads of pilots and commandos of different species should be a given.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 04:38 PM »
I have been wanting Hasbro to do more of these for a long time, but my real dream is for them to do something similar to the Simpsons mini playsets.  Pack in one new figure with a good detailed environment, have them interlock together at the sides and make them stackable.  Wake up Hasbro quit sleeping through my idea! ;)

:P

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 1, 2004, 11:46 AM »
I have been wanting Hasbro to do more of these for a long time, but my real dream is for them to do something similar to the Simpsons mini playsets.  Pack in one new figure with a good detailed environment, have them interlock together at the sides and make them stackable.  Wake up Hasbro quit sleeping through my idea! ;)

:P

That's a great idea CHEWIE!   I can buy the extra figures needed for the scene on a card!!!   If they would make great quality backgrounds/ small playsets (not cardboard pictures) that would be awesome.  And, there are plenty of small sets to chose from.  The front  of the Detention cell that Han, Chewie and Luke blast apart would be great, as would a more accurate detention cell for Leia.   A single "alcove" / bar table in the Cantina that Tydirium  mentioned would be awesome if they are interlocking.   If it would make it more cost effective to only put one new figure in the scene, then release the other figures for that scene on cards at the same time.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2004, 08:54 AM »
Well I finally got my set and i have to say that I really wanted kitik, but man the figure is terrible. I wish they would have done a better job on it, at least give the neck some articulation. I don't really like the color, shouldn't it be more green?

Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2004, 11:53 AM »
Yea I got mine yesterday. Sure 'nuff the whole set is lousy. I'm sure it'll be clearanced for $10 or so eventually, which will make me feel like a complete idiot. $20 for an over-painted Wuher (already got one), Dr. Evazen with loose-ass legs, and an under-painted Kit-kat...

I'm a sucker.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2004, 01:02 PM »