Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63586 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #120 on: June 1, 2004, 01:52 AM »
I like both...  I think they are the true "ultimate" versions of both figures, yet while I love the Leia figure I was slightly let down by the Ben.

The Ben's lack of knee articulation is VERY disappointing.  The only good there is at least he can still be seated in the Landspeeder.  He just can't be seated in a real chair...  That's highly disappointing that Hasbro would skimp that one little area...  That one little detail.

The cloak I can deal with, but then again I'm trying to make my own less puffy one too so I'm biased.

Hasbro's work with softgoods is attrocious at times, and I'll admit Ben's OUTER robe is definitely not that hot.  Why they use that thick fabric I'll never understand.

I reviewed Total Control Mace Windu here when I started...

I'm sure a lot of you guys never bought him, but he was a surprisingly fun figure...  Irregardless though, he had THE BEST type of fabric on a figure in this scale that I have ever seen/felt in person.  It's woven tightly, it doesn't require stitching at the edges, it is THIN, it hangs well and even folds up some...

It's simply great.  Hasbro should be using it exclusively for sftgoods in this scale, yet they've never used it since.   >:(  Really pisses me off, honestly.  They've acheived "perfection" but refuse to repeat it.

So Ben's not bad but could be better...  Leia, to me, is as good as it's gonna get.  

They're skimping on articulation still, which sucks, but they're still making some pretty good figures.

To me the Leia's one of the most needed because I don't think an ANH Leia (arguably one of her most iconic outfits) hasn't got a "good" figure yet.  That looks perfect to me.  Still I see how a softgoods hood would really have done great!

I'm anxious to see all the others.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #121 on: June 1, 2004, 05:04 AM »
Yeah, TC Mace was so cool as a toy that it won me over.

I wonder if there is a defect rate on soft goods manufacturing. (You know, say 1 in 10 tears when being sewn, etc). Maybe they use the stiffer material (on Ben) because it has a higher durability. I dunno, it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't use the TC Mace stuff again.

Then again, Yoda looks great in his soft goods, and that stuff looks really, really thin.

I'd be much more stoked on Ben if the outer robe was better. As it is, I'll be inclined to take it off for display. But, then again, I'm of the opinion that his body form has been compromised for articulation, and it needs the outer cloak to hide it. Ah well.

Where are pics of the Stormtrooper and Fett? I'm dying to see Fett... my hopes are extremely (and unrealistically) high for him.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 1, 2004, 09:49 AM »
I agree with Jesse on the cloak for the Total Control Mace.  His review (along with some others) convinced me to buy that figure, just because many said it was so "fun".  It was a good toy (kind of a crappy figure, but fun), and you are right the cloak was very well done.  Not sure why they don't utilize that material more often.

As far as these VOTC figures, I really think they all look great so far, and I don't know if I have looked forward to figures this much for quite some time.  I think the Leia is about as good as it gets too (hood would have been nice, as mentioned), and finally a pretty good Fisher likeness.  This figure looks nice.  The Ben, I really like, but don't understand why they didn't include knee articulation with it.  Also, the cloak does look a little bulky to me too.  I usually like soft goods for the most part, but this one does look extra puffy.  Otherwise, the figure is pretty good.

I agree, I can't wait to see more pics of the rest of this line (particularly Wave 3).  Hasbro is supposed to have an update on the Vader this week, that should be one nice figure from what we have seen so far.  Can't wait to see what is in store for Fett, Chewie, and R2....as well as a better look at the Stormy.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 2, 2004, 02:40 PM »
You know, reading through some of the opinions on the OTC got me to thinking about this VOTC line.  One of the excuses we often hear from Hasbro (or people backing Hasbro up) is that the reason that the OTC line is mostly re-releases is because they were focused on Episode III and didn't know about the DVD release in time to get any figures out.  If this is true, then what were these VOTC figures being developed for?  They obviously put a lot of time and effort into each of these figures (at least the ones we've seen so far), so its not like they were rush jobs.  Either Hasbro knew soon enough to make these 12, and no others, or they knew all along and this was their plan (rereleases, etc.)  If not, I wonder what the original plan was for these 12 VOTC beauties...regular carded release?  Some sort of "ultimate" line?  What do you think?

SilverZ

« Reply #124 on: June 2, 2004, 03:11 PM »
I've never, ever bought the line that they were blindsided by the OT DVD release. Concrete rumors were circulating months in advance of the official announcement, as was its probable private announcement to licensors at the Lucasfilm Summit even earlie.

What they were more likely surprised by was the scope of the release. They probably had 12 nicely done figures in special packaging ready for fall in special packaging and the Millennium Falcon. (The Falcon's retooling looks to have been not a last minute thing). You don't redevelop and release a $50 OT vehicle without some promotional support behind it to 1) convince retailers to sacrifice floorspace for it, and 2) move enough of the suckers once on the floor. They had to know it was coming.

Then, when talking to buyers/retailers they realized they could push this a lot further, pushed all their PT stuff on the board off until next year, and got greedy as hell with all the recards because the major retailers have a breif newfound optimism for all things OT because of the DVD. Hasbro, being Hasbro, milked it, damn the torpedoes.

I bet this was it, originally. 12 really special figures and a couple iconic ships, on really special packaging. Simple and appropriate. I guess that's why it didn't make sense to them in the end.  >:(

Edit: God my spelling really sucks. Fixed.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2004, 06:02 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 2, 2004, 03:44 PM »
I think you're right Tydirium....they knew full well about the DVDs, they had to have at least known when we were hearing rumors you would think.  The 12 figs and Falcon (maybe X-Wing or Tie too) were probably the original plan.  And to think, if they would have just utilized OTC-style cards the whole year, threw out these 12 VOTC figs with a couple of ships for the DVD release, just think how much happier most of the collecting community would be.  I'm not complaining, it has been a really great year for figures (especially for OT enthusiasts)...but the re-card-o-rama for the last half of the year has really been the sticking point for many of us I know.  I think Hasbro would have been better served to start the "OTC" style at the beginning of 2004, continue to sprinkle in some new figures until the end of the year (with a few recards if they needed to), then have the VOTC and a couple of ships for the "special release".
« Last Edit: June 2, 2004, 03:45 PM by mosnab »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #126 on: June 2, 2004, 04:00 PM »
I totally agree.  The year has been pretty fantastic all things considered, and really, this giant break I'm getting this fall really helps.  It will give me time to go away a little and come back next year all excited again.

And yeah, Hasbro totally knew.  I agree on the idea that the original plan was the 12 figures and ships.  

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: June 4, 2004, 09:09 AM »
VADER VADER VADER!

SEE VADER HERE!

"Based on The Empire Strikes Back, the vintage Darth Vader has sculpting and articulation that allow for exciting true-to-life poses. Vader’s ball-jointed knees, shoulders, and angled biceps were sculpted to achieve Vader’s kneeling pose in front of the Emperor in his meditation chamber.  His left hand is sculpted to place around another figure’s neck, providing a powerful choking feature. To allow for greater flexibility while posing, this figure is equipped with a soft plastic belt that was molded as a separate piece and is trapped at his lower back.

The vintage Darth Vader has a total of 12 points of articulation including angled biceps and ball-jointed head, shoulders and knees. He has standard articulation at his wrists, waist, and hips. Outfitted in a classic black soft-goods skirt and outer cloak, the vintage Vader comes with both a fully extended lightsaber and hilt.

For the packaging, we’ve recreated the Darth Vader version from The Empire Strikes Back. Some of the unique features from The Empire Strikes Back include:

Single silver bar around the character image but double silver bars around the movie title
Removal of the Luke & Leia image first seen on the A New Hope packaging
Removal of the price box
Gold accent color behind Vader figure
Coffin-style blister
Butterfly peg hook, die-cut but not punched out!
And the Kenner logo
Check back later to see the vintage Vader in-package."

Jeff
very happy!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 4, 2004, 09:19 AM »
Thanks for posting Jeff, this figure really looks amazing.  I like that there are ball-jointed knees, etc., and it sounds like he will be quite poseable.  This VOTC line continues to impress me, and I can't wait to see more of them in the coming weeks.  Like I have said before, if I couldn't have a big collection and had to limit it, I think I'd pick up these 12 figures and display them on their own.  I'm still thinking about creating some sort of minidisplay with just these figures, they just look so amazing so far.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 4, 2004, 11:23 AM »
The Vader looks really nice.  I would have liked to have had the ball-jointed elbows, but three out of four isn't that bad. :)

The only thing that has bothered me about the soft goods Jedi cloaks over the years has been the hoods.  The bulk of the thicker material never really bothered me as much as the fact that none of the hoods look good when they're pulled over the figure's head.  This was especially noticeable on the Episode I accessory pack cloaks in 1999, but even the Saga Pilot Obi-Wan has the same problem.

As Jesse James said, the cloak on the Total Control Mace (a figure I wanted to hate but ended up enjoying a great deal as a toy) was really well done and didn't have the same problems the Pilot Obi-Wan did in terms of bulk.  Even the cloak on the new Jedi Luke from this year was done really well, aside from my gripe with the hood, as it was done in a similar material.  

That said, and lack of knee articulation aside, I really do like the VOTC Obi-Wan.  It looks nice, and they put a lot of effort into it and the other figures.   Believe it or not, the one figure I've seen so far that I'm not totally sold on is the Han.  It just doesn't look right to me, but I'm reserving judgment until I actually have it in my hands.

As for Hasbro "not knowing" about the DVDs, they knew.  They've never been straightforward and honest with the people who buy their products and they'll do anything they can to pass the buck and feign ignorance to make someone else look like the bad guy.  They probably knew before anyone else knew, save LFL.  Why else would every product released in early 2004's Saga offerings be completely OT-focused?  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #130 on: June 4, 2004, 11:32 AM »
I think there's definitely some potential with the Vader here, but I've got a few qualms that will make me wait to see it in person 'til I pass final judgement.  First, the cape doesn't seem too "snug" at the neck area like it should be.  Very spread out at the top where it attaches to his chain (that's a real chain, right?)  I'm also concerned that he doesn't have his shorter waist cape (inside his regular one).

Cool to hear that we've finally got the "choking" Vader grip so we can finally kill off that whimpy Antilles dude properly!   8)  Glad to see Hasbro's not ignoring the saber hilt too.  Cool of them to include the full lightsaber, as well as the hilt, since they're not doing the fragile detachable blades anymore.  Did anyone catch if we're getting both with Luke and Ben as well?  I wasn't paying attention...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #131 on: June 4, 2004, 12:19 PM »
Something weird about his head, its like it is smooshed down or something, otherwise the sound of ball/socket joints makes me very, very happy.  We'll see how the cape looks, sorta like Obi-Wan, I gotta see how this turns out

SilverZ

« Reply #132 on: June 4, 2004, 01:30 PM »
This is the nice generic Vader they've needed for a long time. It should be in the regular line. I'll give the soft goods cloak a chance on this one. From the pic it looks almost sheer, so it should be fairly flexible.

It's not my "ultimate" Vader though. That would require the Madine-style elbow articulation, and ball sockets at the ankles, too. (Hah, this is how much the SA Clone has spoiled me... I'm considering ankle ballsocket articulation mandatory).

And I think something's wrong with the head, too. Maybe it's a bit undersized.

Nitpicky point - isn't this an ANH Vader? I thought the inner cloak design, where it hangs next to the chestplate, tucks under the belt, and opens at the waist, was purely ANH. Or am I on crack?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #133 on: June 4, 2004, 01:37 PM »
I think I remember hearing somewhere he wore a skirt on Hoth

Can't really find a full length Hoth Pic to confirm though

Did find this!

The shoulder and chest plates are ESB/ROTJ versions
« Last Edit: June 4, 2004, 01:38 PM by I Love Kobe Bryant! »

SilverZ

« Reply #134 on: June 4, 2004, 02:02 PM »
Ok, looks like it's correct - I'm wrong. I went and checked the Hyperspace image of Vader from that weird publicity still shot. It has a nice neutral stance, straight on. The inner cloak does work just like they implemented on the figure.

I'm too lazy to steal it and post it elsewhere, so here's the link for Hyperspace here.

I still think the melon is too small.