Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63579 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2004, 11:52 PM »
The new Toyfare shows C-3PO better, but it's not totally clear how he's articulated.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2004, 12:02 AM »
Yeah I've seen the Toyfare spread and studied 3PO for a long time and still have no idea.  It also doesn't look too shiny which might just be the pic and lighting.  I'd like an ultimate clean 3PO (as he appeared through most of ESB and ROTJ) if we're going to get one

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2004, 12:09 AM »
The only new sign of articulation I saw in the Toyfare spread is around C-3PO's midsection.  Right in that area where the wiring trunk meets the upper body is where I think it is.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2004, 12:13 AM »
Yeah and his shoulders looked a little funny

Durge over at RS has a scan (not a very good one) :P

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/Durge/DSC01708.jpg

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2004, 12:38 AM »
I was thinking of that too, but doubting it happens personally.  

The thought of a Super R2 is great though.  :)

On the figures, it sounds like they don't ALL have ALL the articulation points of a "SA" figure.  Leia seems to have only one wrist from how things are worded, but nonetheless it's the nicest Leia ever...  Really a nice figure.

I'm just imaginging that R2 will be a poseable, plain, clean R2.  nothing more.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2004, 01:53 AM »
And I'll be, the Obi-Wan cloth robes actually look GOOD.

Funny, since we were just talking this afternoon about how he was too "poofy" looking.  Of course, that was the loose figure we were discussing.  I'm not real surprised to see that Obi-Wan looks a lot better packaged in the bubble, since the bubble squishes down his poofy cloth robe all nice and snug against him, which I agree looks much better.

But I still think he looks like a giant burnt marshmellow when he's loose.  Might have to find some of that glue folks use, to calm his cloak down just a tad.

I'm still not convinced on the Leia.  I think I need to see her up close and personal to pass final judgement.  Something about her just looks a little off to me.  We'll see.  Still better than most/all of the other ANH Leias though...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2004, 09:12 AM »
Here are some higher res pictures of Leia. Still can't quite make out all facial features though...

More VOTC Leia Carded Photos

VERY nice cards though.  Have I mentioned I love these?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2004, 09:57 AM »
And I'll be, the Obi-Wan cloth robes actually look GOOD.

Funny, since we were just talking this afternoon about how he was too "poofy" looking.  Of course, that was the loose figure we were discussing.  I'm not real surprised to see that Obi-Wan looks a lot better packaged in the bubble, since the bubble squishes down his poofy cloth robe all nice and snug against him, which I agree looks much better.

But I still think he looks like a giant burnt marshmellow when he's loose.  Might have to find some of that glue folks use, to calm his cloak down just a tad.

I'm still not convinced on the Leia.  I think I need to see her up close and personal to pass final judgement.  Something about her just looks a little off to me.  We'll see.  Still better than most/all of the other ANH Leias though...

I think there might be a non-glue solution to this.  The answer?  A needle and thread.  It might be possible to strategically tie-down the robe to Obi-Wan's body using some thread.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2004, 11:39 AM »
What I'll never understand about Hasbro and softgoods is that they MADE awesome softgoods on a Jedi's robes already.  Total Control Mace Windu.  

That guy's robe even has a pattern to it that matches the way his arms were sculpted.

The fabric hangs very well, and even catches wind in a fan to look like he's got a breeze blowing his coat around.

Why they choose to not use that knit fabric all the time is beyond me.  It doesn't need sewn at the edges, it has stretch to it, it hangs off the figure better than any fabric I've ever seen.

Go with that, ya know?  

I've been searching for that type of fabric high and low in my area just to sew up my own robes for some other Jedi figures.  Carry Old Mace in my pocket for reference, but I've been having a tough time finding the right match.

I'd think Hasbro would be able to do this irregardless though.   It'd look great on all figures I think.  Yoda's coat almost looks like this is what they used even.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2004, 12:07 PM »
The only new sign of articulation I saw in the Toyfare spread is around C-3PO's midsection.  Right in that area where the wiring trunk meets the upper body is where I think it is.

EGAD!

I just had a preponderance regarding C-3PO.  Looking at that picture of 3PO in ToyFare, I thought, man, that is a funny gap at his torso, when a thought hit me like a ton of bricks.

This 3PO is from the ESB, on an ESB card, right?

What is he has poor articulation because... he has removable limbs?!?

If they do the 3PO ESB Card 100% accurate, he'd have the "removable limbs" tag if they use this card.

Hmmm... hadn't even occurred to me until just now.

Or do you think they'll use the boring basic 3PO card:

What do you guys think?
Jeff

« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 12:34 PM by Nataku »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2004, 12:28 PM »
3PO has got me thinking...

We've seen the ESB figures, but not the cards.

Hasbro has already stated (in the Toy Box column in Insider #76) that due to legal reasons, they will not be able to repro any of the "free offer" like Free 4-LOM or Ackbar, so we know the cards will be the plain versions.

Just thought I'd post pictures of the cards for Vader, Lando, and Yoda:

ESB C-3PO Card
OR
ESB C-3PO (removable Limbs) - see above

ESB Vader Card

ESB Yoda Card

ESB Lando Card

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2004, 10:27 PM »
Wave 2 is up for preorder at EE

Wave 2

2x Lando
2x Vader
2x Yoda

and

1x Luke
1x Han ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 10:33 PM by OCB »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2004, 03:13 AM »
Interesting observation there Jeff, and you may be on to something, but I honestly hope you're guess is wrong.  I don't want another removable limbs 3PO, I want a first-ever super articulated one.  That's it.  And shiny too.  That's not so much to ask now, is it?

So hopefully they just use the regular 3PO vintage card that you have pictured second there, rather than the Removable Limbs one.  I like the look of the original 12 figure cards myself (even if they have to be on an ESB or ROTJ card).  They should've just done the original 12 in the first place, and maybe tossed in one more POTF wave with Yoda, Fett, Lando, and the Emperor...  Meesa loven da 12-backs muy muy.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2004, 03:28 AM »
I hope he doesn't have removable limbs, because then I'll have to buy him.  As such, I think they would have mentioned it by now, but you never know.

I still don't like Stay Puft Marshmallow Obi.  Give me a 'live' version of that new spirit one and I'm set.  The Leia is very nice, though.  

SilverZ

« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Wave 2 is up for preorder at EE

Greeeeeeat. And Leia still looks to be packed 1 per case in Wave 1, and doesn't reappear in Wave 2. When I can't even CMA with case ordering, something is really wrong. Are primates doing the case breakdowns at Hasbro?