Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63998 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2004, 07:29 PM »
You do realize that the warning sticker is on the clamshell, not on the card....right?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2004, 07:39 PM »
Ugh.  I don't care much for Vader's big 'ol Run DMC-styled silver chain necklace.  It would've been much better if Hasbro used tiny, real metal links that attached to Vader's cape, but instead, they painted a very thick silver chain around Vader's neck.  It looks bad.  Other than ANH Han, the VOTC offerings (so far) are pretty lame.    
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2004, 09:58 PM »
You do realize that the warning sticker is on the clamshell, not on the card....right?

yes, i do realize that, but from those pictures it looks like when the carded figure is displayed inside the clamshell - and i'm guessing that most carded collectors are going to leave these figures in the clamshell - that warning sticker is placed right on top of the logo.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2004, 10:44 AM »
I think the carded pics makes Vader's head look a ton better.

Yoda on Card is one of the most beautiful things I have seen in a long time...a long time

These aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread but they are better than rehashorama and so I'm looking forward to getting carded and loose sets of all of these puppies

I'm NOT looking forward to the ROTJ case assortments though >:(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2004, 11:37 AM »
Galactic Hunter has a few loose shots of the VOTC Luke Skywalker up HERE

Although I really, really like this VOTC line, and I will buy each and every one (if I can find them), I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the soft goods tunic on Luke.  I usually like the use of soft goods here and there, but this just looks a little different to me.  Oh well, its a change, not like there isn't any other Tatooine Lukes out there :P

SilverZ

« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2004, 03:23 PM »
Although I really, really like this VOTC line, and I will buy each and every one (if I can find them), I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the soft goods tunic on Luke.  

I feel the same way - it reminds me of the jackets from the old Princess Leia collection. It just goes to show soft goods aren't the end-all-be-all of solutions, considering it looks like they've focused a considerable amount of attention on nailing the look of the tunic here, with nice stitching and good material, and it still just doesn't work.

It's not really a big deal to me with all the other perfectly good Tat Lukes out there, like you said. I'm sure Hasbro hasn't forgotten the wrath of collectors from the glut of them a few years ago, and tried soft goods as something new, since they couldn't well not include him in the VOTC in that costume.

Yoda on Card is one of the most beautiful things I have seen in a long time...a long time

I think this is the best example so far of  the VOTC's intent. Seeing that figure on the card looks so close to the vintage version in scale, you'd almost not notice the figure was new. It seems to pull off the nostalgia bit a lot better than the others for some reason.

And go figure, after not liking SG on Luke at all, it looks perfect on Yoda.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2004, 03:40 PM »
And go figure, after not liking SG on Luke at all, it looks perfect on Yoda.

Yeah, I thought the same thing looking at those pictures.  The soft goods is really well done on that figure, and that Yoda looks like it could be the best one we've gotten.  I don't know if it is the nostalgic/vintage part of me that makes me think that or not, but it really looks nice.  And you are right too, looking at the pics, you almost have to do a double take to see whether or not it is the vintage or modern figure in the package.  Very well done, and this whole VOTC concept (although the price stinks) is probably my favorite of the modern line.  "Ultimate" versions of the main characters, well articulated, most have good use of soft goods, able to be "neutrally" posed, and a vintage cardback to boot.  Good stuff, but it could be cheaper ;)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2004, 05:25 PM »
My VOTC Han Solo has arrived. I'll probably post a review and I will take lots of pictures.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

SilverZ

« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2004, 07:32 PM »
That would be awesome... any chance you have the Falcon handy to see how he fits in there?

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Well the review is up in the review section, and no I don't have the falcon yet, but judging how this figure it, it could probably fit into anything.

Offline wai

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2004, 12:48 PM »
Hi Vator,
Isn't that the bubble is attach to the card?
www.starwars-force.com~~"The only Chinese starwars web site"

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2004, 02:37 PM »
Yes, yes it is.

Offline Durge

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2004, 12:31 AM »
Nice review! I want this figure the most of all the VOTC!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 12:32 AM by Durge »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2004, 02:12 AM »
Nice price ont hat Vator, good for you man...  

I'm personally awaiting these as per usual...  Find it at the store, unless my buddy Paul gets a case and has extras, haha.

I gotta ask you some ?'s in your review about overall body construction and height (looks short with that stormie :( ).

Nice images...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2004, 02:36 AM »
Ok, no prob.

Overall this series looks to be very promising