Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 64014 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #300 on: July 21, 2004, 09:32 PM »
GH has pics up of the ROTJ wave, and I must say these things rock! I need 400+ Stormtroopers.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 21, 2004, 09:33 PM »
and on that second-to-last note, something i forgot to ask:

anybody who is opening their votc and doesn't keep/doesn't want the outer plastic case and the figure bubble, please contact me... i want to do a few custom votc figures that hasbro "conveniently" forgot to do, and i need a few of the bubbles/cases. i'll gladly pay shipping plus a few bucks or a figure or something.

thanx  ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 10:45 PM by jokabofe »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #302 on: July 21, 2004, 10:39 PM »
Hmmm...

I like them all.

No surprise there... :)

Now the trick will be getting me to stop at just TWO of those RotJ Stormtroopers.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 10:56 PM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #303 on: July 21, 2004, 11:24 PM »
I must resist... no matter how hard...

All winners.  I have to believe though these will be repacked later on for $5.  I like the stormtrooper and Chewie the best.  And R2.  And Fett.  And...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #304 on: July 22, 2004, 12:31 AM »
Random thoughts...

-Vader = near perfection...  Short of a removable 3-piece helmet, removable hand with visible wiring stump, and a real chain for the cloak, I couldn't think of him being better in the slightest.  Just GREAT figure.

-C-3PO = Eh...  This figure hasn't got any redeeming feature to make me say "Oh yeah!".  No extra articulation, no pull-apart feature even (and he's packaged on ESB card, what gives?).  Sadly his counterpart is just about as interesting.  And the search for an articulated 3PO goes on, and on, and on.

-R2-D2 = Eh...  Just like 3PO, R2's pretty bland.  What he DOES have going for him is a nice datalink and buzzsaw, and they do look like spiffy sculpts.  His dome's chrome though, which isn't exactly accurate considering his helmet's a duller silver color.  He's a basic R2 though...  I guess that's cool, but better for $5 than $10.

-Boba Fett = Where's the rest of him???  He seems like he's missing smething...  Wookie Scalps and his rangefinder!  Hmmm...  I dig him, though I really hpe for real braided hair wookie scalps.  If that's the case, he's pretty darn near perfect in my eyes judging by the articulation.  He's everything POC Fett isn't.  What's cool though is POC Fett's blast effect is going to rock with this Fett, and POC Fett's a little better purchase now with his action pose, now that I know something more universal is coming.  Bring on an ESB version withs ome slight retooling and a pistol holster.  :)

-Stormtrooper = Awesome!!!  Everyone must be disillussioned with the hobby, or by the $10 price, to not be going ga-ga over what everyone's asked for for ages!  A finally, truly, super articulated Stormtrooper!  Even at $10 I want at least a handful.  At $5 I'll take an ass-load, and if they do a 4-pack for under $20 I'll take what I can afford and just go on one hell of a diet for a while.

This should be a figure that sees SUPER wide release for the life of the line.  Period.  

If Hasbro came to me tomorrow and said, "Jesse, you'll only ever get figures this good if we package them in these special cards, clamshells, and bubbles, and you'll always have to pay $10 for them...  But we're willing to do every main character in every "action" outfit they wore as well as army builders", then I'd say I'd pay the $10.

The level of quality on the Han is just that good...  I'd take it.  I'd gripe about the $10, but I'd take it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 22, 2004, 01:04 AM »
I ordered Wave 1 today, and am preparing my money for the future waves. Everything looks great, with the droids being my least favorite.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 22, 2004, 10:39 AM »
It's a shame Hasbro won't be using ROTJ-specific cardbacks (which featured pics of the characters from ROTJ) for Chewie and Fett.  VOTC Chewie looks great.  It looks like the best Chewie figure yet.  The VOTC Stormie looks great, too.  However, I'm not very impressed with VOTC Fett.  I know the figure is loaded with articulation, but it just doesn't look as detailed as I was expecting (especially at the 100% markup price point).  His proportions seem a bit off for some reason and his wrist gadgets seem a bit oversized.  He also seems to be missing a neck.  VOTC R2 is nothing special (IMO).  

Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #307 on: July 22, 2004, 01:24 PM »
I think most would agree with you on the R2, Force Guy.  Very bland...  Include damn near every tool and a pop-up sabre, and I think people would've been impressed by it.

The Stormie's my favorite, easily.

On the Fett, I disagree with you though...  I think the detailing's amazing, and the proportions look right to me...  I think the camera angles are tugh to judge him by entirely.  The hose to his right gauntlet's awesome.

I think with his cape, scalps, and rangefinder we'll be more impressed.  He's incomplete looking right now, and with good reason I guess since he is incomplete.

Chewie is great...  Anyone else hoping for a removable bandoleir for customs?  Looks like it might be a separate accessory to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 22, 2004, 01:31 PM »
It looks like it MAY be removeable, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Anybody else notice that Chewie has the Ultra Wampa waist articulation?

EDIT INSTEAD OF NEW POST: Would anybody be interested in VOTC style Prequel figs? Or Ultimate versions of prequel figs? I would buy them.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:57 PM by Diddly Squat »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 22, 2004, 01:32 PM »
The VOTC line continues to impress, but as some of you have mentioned, some of the figures (like 3PO and R2), don't exactly make me go "wow, I can't believe it" the way the initial ones did when we first saw them.  However, every single one of this whole line seems to be sculpted very, very well.  I'm kind of in the boat with Jesse, when he said that if Hasbro would only do these figures, in this style (packaging and all), for the main characters, etc....I'd probably be down with paying $10 a piece as well...as long as we could still get them, and they were somewhat limited so I wouldn't have to sell a kidney or something :).

Looking at these pictures, aside from articulation on 3PO, and the gadgets on R2...do you think they can make these characters any better?  When we first heard of/saw this line, it was kind of the feeling of "finally, the end all be all versions of these characters".  Seeing the Han, and the Stormtrooper...I think they have done it.  They look to be pretty much perfect.  Chewie looks good as well, and to be honest...I don't know what else they can really do with Chewie to improve it, aside from the removable bandolier.  I think they have gotten the sculpt down pretty well between the Cloud City version and this VOTC one.  The articulation looks to be pretty good on this one as well.  I guess I'm wondering, do you think that these can still be improved on?  Aside from articulation on 3PO, and maybe an "ultimate gadget-tastic" R2, that is.  Overall, I'm quite happy with this line...and this morning I saw that they have shown up at the TRU in town here.  They had 3x Han, 3x Obi, and 2x Leia.  All of them where there, don't know when they got put out.  I picked up an extra Han for now, I'd like to have 2 of each, but my wife doesn't agree.  I got away with the Han for now.  Plus, I'd kick myself if I bought 2 of all of these, to see them released for $5 later on :o  Seeing the pics of them all on the coverage though, makes me wish there was another wave (or more) coming.  Come on, how about a POTF wave? :P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #310 on: July 22, 2004, 02:16 PM »
I'm hoping for a wave with new resculpts...Cantina Band Member, Tarkin, Wedge and R5-D4 or something

From the POTF era there would be a great chance to redo Han Carbonite, a couple of Ewoks and Yakface or Barada but none of them are iconic characters like some of those above are

I also wouldn't mind them finishing the 12-back figures Tusken Death Star Trooper, Jawa

As far as prequel figs I'd be all for that...but not at the 100% markup.  I've been asking for new Super Maul, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wans, Anakins and Dookus for a while now (with little support :p)  It's something I want to see happen though

I wonder if the near misses are intentional though, makes you keep coming back for more and to buy a superior figure down the road.  If they make an Ultimate Vader what's gonna entice the Opener to buy another inferior Vader next year????

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 22, 2004, 02:56 PM »
As far as prequel figs I'd be all for that...but not at the 100% markup.  I've been asking for new Super Maul, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wans, Anakins and Dookus for a while now (with little support :p)  It's something I want to see happen though

Hey, don't forget that I've been calling for those too.  I think the Jedi and Sith really do need to be presented in a manner much like the VOTC in terms of sculpting and articulation.  If Hasbro would present these ultimate versions, and not something like "Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan & Outlander Obi-Wan & Arena Obi-Wan & Pilot Obi-Wan", I would gladly fork over $10 each to save myself the $20 that four basic versions would cost.

As for the VOTC line, I'd like to see it continue with characters that were part of the vintage line.  The 12 back characters would be a great place to start.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #312 on: July 22, 2004, 03:06 PM »
Oooh.  I'd love more of these vOTC styled figures!

A PotF wave!
Carbonite Han Solo
Stormtrooper Luke
Emperor
Endor Leia

An all new Star Wars wave! (Non-vintage figures on Vintage looking cards):
Grand Moff Tarkin
Cantina Band Member
Owen Lars
Wedge

An all new Ep1 "vintage" wave (cards look like SW cards, but with Ep1):
Darth Maul
Qui-Gon Jinn
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mace Windu
(no JarJar)

An all new Ep2 "vintage" wave (cards look like ESB cards, but with Ep2):
Clone Trooper
Jango
Dooku
Yoda

An all new Ep3 "vintage" wave (cards look like RoTJ cards, but with Ep3):
Anakin
Obi-Wan
Padme
Sidious

I love those vOTC figures!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #313 on: July 22, 2004, 03:20 PM »
I'm really all for more VOTC, but I'd like new figures like Jeff pointed out.  Something that actually ADDS to Vintage in some way, at least in a card...  Some new figures, and maybe mixed with some old-school remakes too, but at least a FEW new figs.

ANH:

-Fleet Trooper
-Tarkin
-Wedge
-Sandtrooper

ESB:

-Rebel FootSoldier (Not Vinty styled card, something new)
-General Veers (Include his armor/helmet as an accessory, but make it a carded Veers in officer uniform version)
-Snowspeeder Pilot (generic, or Dak)
-Imperial Snowtrooper

ROTJ

-Han Trench Coat
-Leia Poncho
-Luke Poncho & removable Jedi Vest (ultimate Luke)
-Emperor

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #314 on: July 22, 2004, 03:29 PM »
I totally agree.  More VOTC style figs (maybe not for $10) and VOTC prequel figs.  The prequel ones especially.  Now for my list:

The VPTC:

TPM:
Darth Maul
Obi Wan
Qui Gon
Orange Handmaiden Padme

AOTC:
Anakin
Obi Wan
Mace
Count Dooku

And more VOTC: