Author Topic: OCB Takes it in the Pooper  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
OCB Takes it in the Pooper
« on: August 18, 2004, 09:57 AM »
So, how many things can go wrong in a night

#1 Our home and basement was decided to be the neighborhood wasp nest a few days ago.  Raid, Bee B Gone and Foam Away Bees have all proved useless and every day there are 2-4 news Wasps in the basement.  So I finally decided to call Orkin to get rid of the little SOB's

Total Price: $120

#2 Went down to check the Wasp situation yesterday evening and noticed a small pool of water on the floor.  Hmm, looked a little like urine and I thought the cat had lost his mind and peed on the floor.  Nope, I go in the utility room and am greeted with a large pool of water and the sound of water running.  Burst pipe? Plugged Condensate line on the Air Conditioner? Well Pump Leaking?  Nope, Nope, Nope, Damn Water Heater srpung a leak.  For some reason the utility room doesn't slope towards the floor drain but back toward the main room in the basement.  Water everywhere, I shut the tank off and we spent the better part of the night mopping up water and throwing away crap.

My collection just so happened to be in the area due to our remodeling work...lets call it a near miss thanks to all of the plastic tubs and tackle boxes.  All of the cardboard was high enough not to be touched

Called this morning for a new one...installed

Total Price: $660

#3 To drain the tank I had to open the relief valve to let air in and let er flow.  Well, this sonofabitch, I and my forehead found out, has a pretty sharp handle on it.  I was mopping and managed to run my head right into it and open a pretty good 1" cut right near my hairline.  I'm really hoping that it leaves a scar so I can remember the night from hell

Total Price: Priceless

Thank the Maker for Mastercard!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: OCB Takes it in the Pooper
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 10:33 AM »

Use this next time, it might ease the pain a little.

Seriously, that sucks, Scott.  Our basement leaks after a heavy rain.  Luckily, it's only in the back portion where the oil tank, furnace and work shop is and not in the finished portion.  Still bites though.  Seems there's always something wrong with a house, be it pests, water, leaky roof, etc, etc.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 11:03 AM »

Pics?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 11:05 AM »

Here's me outside trying to enjoy nature after the incident

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 02:12 PM »
For the heater incident, and the fact your floor doesn't slope the right way, there's a sensor you can buy Scott, that lays on the ground, and when water touches it it sounds out a loud beeping...  It's kind of like a fire alarm.

My family's had the water heater incident a number of times ourselves when they just wear out, and where we live doesn't have a basement.  There's a furnace room off from the living room (because it's a flood zone and an old house).  So when the heater breaks it can flood the entire living room.   Needless to say the sensor's a must.  The same went for our washer which was decades old (seriously) and started leaking last year.  We got a sensor to know if it was overflowing...  Eventualaly just got a "new" damn washer, but the sensor helped.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 02:26 PM »

A/S/L?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Revenge

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 02:28 PM »
That is funny! Sorry about the painful night.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 03:45 PM »
That title really does grab some attention dosen't it?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 04:07 PM »
Man, stay inside for a few days.  The way you're goin, you'd step off the curb and get hit by a bus.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 11:17 AM »
Yeah, sorry to hear about the crappy luck lately Scott, hopefully things have been going better since then (they'd have to be, wouldn't they?).  Anyways...here's to better times ahead. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 11:22 AM »
Proud to say that nothing new has happen, although I almost got in an accident yesterday and the repair guy tried to charge me $50 for a $3 valve...

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 12:01 PM »
I had a water heater go on me a few months ago... there was about 3" of water in the basement.  Thankfully I didn't miss much... but that's not something fun to wake up to.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 03:47 PM »
Heh, we just started our first offensive "  "Raid" the nest" on the yellow jackets Tues.  They decided to nest right outside the basement, and when we went in, they outsmarted us and decided to invade the basement.

by Wed. AM  bravo14  had to regroup and plan another offensive.

This morning saw the "Maxide offensive" (maxide yellow jacket spray was dropped shipped just in time) we decided to spray around the recessed lightning before we circled outside and hit thier rear flank.

Now, we pretty much have the puppy running some recon missions around the basement cleaning up thier downed troops.

Tonight around twenty one hundred hours, will see the destruction of thier base and the end of the beebellion.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 03:51 PM »
Orkin seemed to have atom bombed the Yellow Jackets as well, there were like 30 of them right before the Hot Water Guy came in so I used Mister Hoover to take care of them.  Haven't heard a report as to their livelihood today however...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 05:11 PM »
Sounds like some Tenacious combat effort on Bob's part.  Scott, the typical tyrant that he is, calls in a merc force.  *Sigh*

Effective, but brutal.

I heard a BBC reporter was lost in the fighting at Bob's front.  Damn fool journalists.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77