Community > Watto's Junk Yard

The "Space" Issue

(1/8) > >>

Brian:
While reading a number of posts and threads from a number of different forum members (myself included), it seems that space is becoming more and more of an issue for those of us who collect the various Star Wars (and other franchise/toy) lines.  I know since we've moved, and I've packed/unpacked and tried to figure out how I'd like to display things, space is something that has got me thinking more and more about my collection.  I was wondering if any of you are having space issues, what you are doing about it, or what thoughts you have had about it.  I know personally, it has forced me to really take a hard look at my collecting, and decide what I really want/think I need.  The combination of space, money, and a few other issues has brought me to the conclusion that I will likely be scaling back any "other" collections, and focus primarily on Star Wars.  Although I do enjoy other lines as well, and would really like to collect them, I just don't know if it is possible...or even logical for me to do so.  Aside from a few LOTR figures I'd still like to pick up eventually, and possibly a Spider-Man figure here or there, I think its going to be Star Wars and only Star Wars from here on out.  We all know there is more than enough of that to collect by itself!  Anyways, back to the main issue, has space become a big problem for you (or is it heading that way)...do you have a plan of action for it, or has it helped/caused you to re-assess your collection and/or display?  I'd be curious to see what some of you are considering.  It is tough to give up some of the other lines I'd like to collect, but at the same time I know it is probably the right thing to do.  Keeping a "tally" this year of what I have spent on collectibles doesn't help the matter any either ;)

Famine:
The Space issue is simply solved by one of two things for me:

1) Do I have room for another shelf?

2) Can I rotate this with other things for display?

That's just how I work it baby.

Kevin

Brian:
Yeah, actually, that's another option I wanted to mention in my original post but forgot.....do you "rotate" stuff out, do you have things in storage, things of that nature.  Also, do you mind that you have to have things stored away...or would you rather have them displayed?  Does the fact that you have to use storage bother you, etc.?  I know I have a few things that are left in rubbermaid tubs for now (vintage stuff and misc. larger stuff, a couple of ships), I'd like to figure out a way to get it all displayed.

Rob:
My room is going to be hitting capacity in the next year or two...  I've already gotten rid of anything non-star wars.  I may have to start hanging carded figures from the cieling when episode III hits - especially since the new cards don't look like they'll overlap at all.  (I've always hung carded figures in rows, overlapping the cards so the bubbles touch.)

My next house will have a bigger room.  It will be a requirement when I'm shopping around.

Morgbug:
Well, the first casualty of collecting for me was my carded collection.  I still think that in many (a majority?) of cases, carded figures look better than loose figures (Unleashed being a strong exception).  But storage wise/display wise it simply became impractical for me to do so.  So I started opening a bunch of stuff.  My cinema scenes remain closed and probably will.  Basically if I can stack it, it stays in.  If it has to be hung, forget it.  There are exceptions to that, numerous htf Freeze Frames, late Ep I stuff, TFV, Sacul, Theater Luke and possibly some early orange carded figs for nostaligia. 

Rotation?  No, not really, too much like work.  I am at capacity in my room right now, with 11-12 large tubs full of toys.  But I refuse to put up more shelves, simply because we may be moving soon and essentially that stuff is already packed from my point of view.  It's going to be a major pain to pack up everything that is already out. 

Downsizing is underway.  As mentioned elsewhere I'm selling off my goalies in a rather substantial fashion.  A guy I've traded with over at spawn.com (meatgoat) makes a lot of sense.  He opens everything, even his third jersey Roy :o.  We talked a fair bit by email about collections and he decided, mostly because of space issues, that if he wanted something, he would open it, end of story.  I'm not quite there, but getting closer. 

Selectivity.  During my tenure at this board my selectivity went broad scale, and now is rapidly going the other way.  Like Brian, first and foremost is star wars.  Everything else is secondary.  One of the few lines I did "right" was the Simpsons WOS stuff.  Only Homers, with a few exceptions, mostly due to Scott forcing some stuff on me :P.  But it remains a compact collection and easy to manage.  Plus the focus makes it look really cool.  McFarlane stuff outside of sportspicks have been selective too.  Only predator figures for the most part.  LOTR is staying relatively in focus, though that is one area that could easily spiral out of control.  Fortunately I delayed long enough that loose stuff is already relatively cheap to obtain, so I am ahead in that way. 

Quality.  I love the 3 3/4 line, it really is the focus of my collection and my favorite stuff.  Opening it allows for displaying more stuff.  But aside from the figures, I'm trying to be more selective and have less of some things (says mr. 5 tie fighters ::))  Towards that end, I'm trying to obtain more quality stuff and stay away from lower end stuff.  Stay away from smaller cheaper stuff and get busts or MR stuff.  BTW, I am failing at this aspect miserably. 

The ultimate solution:  Buy a house with an unfinished basement and finish the basement.  My room will be down there, no doubt about it.  The trick is to take it from it's current dimensions to something large.  9ft x 10 ft up to say about 15 x20 ;D  Collection too big?  Buy a house.  Perfectly reasonable solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version