Author Topic: The "Space" Issue  (Read 6848 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: The "Space" Issue
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 12:29 PM »
But with the announcement of the new Rebels line, I may be screwed. That's going to be another one where I will get everything MOC/MISB. If this goes a couple of years it will present some real challenges. Something will have to go.  :(

I'm in the same boat - I have seven display cabinets with a vast majority of my loose figures and vehicles on display.

One cabinet each for Episodes 1,2,3,5 & 6; a Clone Wars cabinet and a cabinet dedicated to "the Empire".

I then have four two shelf barrister cabinets. Two of those house all of the non-Empire related EP4 stuff, and two more which I had waiting on "stand by" for future stuff ended up being used for Clone Wars overflow.

So now I'm seriously wondering "where the heck am I gonna put all the Rebels stuff?"

It does have me appreciating the fact that the line isn't as huge as it once was.

My Star Wars, LOTR & Hobbit Legos are an entirely different problem altogether  :-X
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 12:51 PM »
I bought Legos early on and bailed...  I consider, often, selling those early kits...  The first TIE Fighters, B-Wings, etc.  I just can't see keeping them. :(  I've taken a lot of my micromachines and other early 90's stuff and just done away with it, usually to Goodwill to avoid hassle. 

I love the Lego stuff.  I've never been able to properly display it and over the last two years I've gone way out of my way to fill in a lot of gaps in that collection.  So I'm sort of dying to have a room big enough for it all to go up.  There's OT Star wars (nearly all of it, just missing a few of the early kits and the new Sandcrawler), then there's pretty much complete sets of Classic Space, Futuron, Blacktron I, Blacktron II, M-Tron, Space Police I, Space Police II, classic Pirates...  Then there's a ton of the castle stuff from Crusaders up through Lion Knights.  Basically, OT Star Wars and then almost complete sets of all the lines I loved as a kid, so almost nothing is newer than maybe 1996 or 1997? 

Someday.

If you happen to have any of these older SW sets, they're still on my list:

7190 - Millenium Falcon
7264 - Imperial Inspection
8129 - AT-AT Walker
10178 - AT-AT Walker (Motorized)
101143 - UCS Death Star II
10198 - Tantive IV
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:51 PM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 10:02 PM »
I think my sets are mostly all even older than those...  Not many in the box but a few.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2014, 12:12 AM »
We'll that falcon is one of the very first Star Wars sets... No biggie though, just throwing it out there.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2014, 09:09 AM »
I think my sets are mostly all even older than those...  Not many in the box but a few.  :-\

Check eBay.  Even loose sets can get some money, especially if they have exclusive mini-figs.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 01:15 PM »
The "space" issue has been one I've been ignoring for many a year now. But as I've gotten more and more willing to let loose vintage stuff be a part of my "official" collection I've started to think about opening some 1995+ stuff. It really is fun to actually "interact" with the toy. That being said I can't bring myself to go all in. I really do like a lot of the packaging AND there is no turning back.

So my newest thoughts are to open most of my stuff that isn't "basic figure" scaled. So 12", 6", Mighty Muggs, Unleashed, Galactic Heroes, etc.

Anyone else out there ever do anything like that? I can't decide how much it really is going to help with how much 3 3/4" stuff there is. And my biggest question really is; has anyone ever started opening their stuff and then regretted it down the line? I only hear the "I'm so glad I took the plunge stories", but there has to be people out there who have been disappointed in the end.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:30 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Space hasn't really been an issue for me until the last several years. I was more of a casual figure buyer up until ROTS came out when I started working, had additional income, etc. I basically had a desk and a dresser to put stuff on (everything was in my room as I lived with my parents) so in 2007 we put up some shelves on two walls in my room. One side hosted LEGO and the other side hosted Hasbro figs. I had plenty of room! Then I started buying Indiana Jones figs, Marvel Universe figs, and 99 percent of the Star Wars offerings and things got out of hand again. I started buying LEGO again after a several year hiatus in 2011, and that's when I completely ran out of room. Since then, my figures have remained boxed and inside of my closet. Most LEGO sets I buy I keep boxed as well, mainly due to a lack of space for them. I even disassembled a lot of older sets and put those in the attic, and still have little room for it all.

One problem I have is I could easily store some stuff since I've been out of my parents' place for a year but my closet is filled with the aforementioned carded figures from the last 3 years, along with several Rubbermaid bins full of old 90s toys (Marvel/DC Animated figs, Power Rangers, WWF, etc.). I've considered getting rid of the old 90s toys but I don't want to deal with selling them online and definitely don't want to just give them away. There's a new store in town that buys vintage toys but I'm assuming they'd only be interested in a handful of items.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Nick -

I've struggled with maintaining carded/boxed versions of my stuff for the art/coolness of it.  Ultimately I realized the art/coolness of it didn't overcome the fact they were toys meant to be opened or played with (or displayed) and I just didn't want boxes upon boxes of stuff.

I did find a personal compromise where I am saving a carded version of a figure (usually a Stormtrooper or Clone Trooper) from each line of figures to have come out since 1977.  I hope to create a cool wall of all of these at some point to display the art/coolness of it.  Although I don't intend to do this with anything other than the 3 3/4" figures.

Recently, the one that hurt the most was selling my entire carded/boxed MicroMachine collection.  The couple I opened I just didn't find that cool to play with / display, so I figured I could live without them, plus they were selling for good money on eBay.  It did hurt to sell them though because I thought the art on the boxes was fantastic.  Maybe some of the best (in my opinion) of any major line out there -  Galoob did a great job.  It felt like each box was a super detailed Topps Galaxies card or something.