Author Topic: U2  (Read 7995 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
U2
« on: August 24, 2004, 03:57 PM »
Achtung, Baby! New U2 Release Set

Nov. 23 is going to be a beautiful day for U2 fans.

Bono and the boys have announced plans to release their still untitled album in the U.S. then, a day after it drops in the U.K. The first single, "Vertigo," will hit radio on Sept. 24, while a video for the song will debut in October.

U2's 11th studio album, produced by Steve Lillywhite, is the follow-up to their multiple Grammy-winning 2000 disc, All That You Can Leave Behind. Besides "Vertigo," other song titles rumored to be on the Irish rockers' set include "Tough" and "Full Metal Jacket."

The band has been previewing tracks to select music industry types, and the buzz has been tremendous. Time magazine's Josh Tyrangiel says the new CD "is just full of confident, expansive guitar rock from the masters of the form. All the old tricks--the Edge's echoing guitar notes,Larry Mullen Jr.'s martial snare--still work...[Bono] has enormous assuredness, and the occasional cracks in his voice make the bad-relationship songs (and, as always, there are quite a few) darker and more dramatic."

U2 fan site @U2 quotes VH1 Senior Vice President Bill Flanagan saying, "It's the best album they have ever done. It's going to knock [listeners] out." And British rock writer Neil McCormick tells Hot Press magazine that "Vertigo" "is like the early U2 pumped up in the 21st century, a really exciting record."

The album's release will apparently not be impacted by the disappearance of early version of the album. A compact disc containing unmixed versions of the tracks went missing from a recording studio in Nice, France, in July, prompting worries that the songs could be leaked to the Internet, potentially costing the quartet, arguably the most popular rock band in the world, and its label, Interscope, millions in lost revenue.

With French investigators still not finding what they're looking for, Bono told London's Daily Telegraph that the group may try and head off such a disastrous leak by making the album available early as a legal download on Apple's iTunes should file-swappers get their hands on it.

"If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately as a legal download on iTunes, and get hard copies into the shops by the end of the month," the singer said. "It would be a real pity. It would screw up years of work and months of planning, not to mention f--king up our holidays. But once it's out. It's out."

A cursory scan of the major music-swapping sites haven't turned up any of the MIA tracks.

For now, the album will be on shelves--and iTunes--in November, with a U.S. tour slated for the spring.

==========================================

(And yes, although I'm a casual fan of U2, this thread is little more than an opportunity to mock this thread from our buddy Durge from just a couple months ago. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Return of the Band with One Good Song
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Love U2, probably in my top 5 bands of all time.  I kick myself for not seeing them in concert every time they come around.  Definitely planning on changing that when they tour to support the new album.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 04:09 PM »
Yay! May favourite band ever; I can’t wait!

OK, I’ve got that in now…thanks…sorry for helping to take this thread off course  :-[
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 04:13 PM »
Yeah, they're on my short list of "bands to see before I/they die."

I'll definitely be doing what I can to see them next year.  They're getting up there, and can't possibly have too many tours left in them. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 05:56 PM »
What is the name of that song that they play at sporting events...it goes "It's a Beautiful Day"

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 06:19 PM »
What is the name of that song that they play at sporting events...it goes "It's a Beautiful Day"

It’s called “Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of”.  I know because in the video Bono and the lads are at one of those strange games you guys play (the one with weirdly shaped ball).  So I’m guessing some sort of sport association right there ;)
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 10:32 PM »
Thought I'd bump up this guy up as I'm getting pretty excited... I've got tickets to see tBwOGS* this Friday. 

The tix were my wife's B-Day present (she's a bigger tBwOGS fan than I am) and are on the main floor.  tBwOGS always put on a great show, and having seen the set list on-line (23 songs!), I'm pretty sure that this outing will be no different!

:)

* = the Band with One Good Song
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
U2
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 12:05 AM »
Seems like the topics in here are thinner on music than most.  Huge U2 fan and am excited to see the U23D film and have high hopes for the new album. 

Any other Jders with U2 as one of their top bands?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: U2
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:20 AM »
I've seen U2 twice. I like them, but don't actively purchase every album.

A bit of trivia: Did you know that U2 are huge Monkees fans? They include one riff from a Monkees song in every set.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 01:45 PM »
I live for U2.  Good to see a thread for them finally.  Excited for the movie and the new record (this year?).

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Believe it or not, we've actually had a couple of U2 threads here before:

Need help identifying a song...

and

The Return of the Band with One Good Song

Enjoy.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 04:42 PM »
I do enjoy their music, especially their earlier stuff.  However, I don't go out and buy/download all of their music.  Great thing about digital music is you can pick and choose what you want.  I've never seen them in concert, but do think it would be a pretty good one.

Glad to see that some of you guys I spar with in other sections enjoy the same music that I do.;)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 04:43 PM »
Like Star Wars, I've been a lifelong U2 fan, discovering their music in the summer of 1982.  I've seen them a dozen or so times, and follow them pretty closely. I met Bono with a small group of fanss on the Joshua Tree tour.  He was very cool, and very freindly and spent a godd 15 minutes or so talking to us. I love their music dearly, but for some odd reason, I 'm usually kind of queit about my fandom.  It's probably because they've become so huge, that it just sounds unoriginal to be a fan.  Who knows.  I'm excited for U2 3D, but don't know if I'll find the time to see it.

I'm more excited about the next album due in the Fall.  It seems that the band, Eno and Lanois are all going for something "different" and U2 has always been their best when experimenting!

My other coolest U2 memeory is sitting in on the sound check on the Elevation tour in Philly.   My brother worked at the Spectrum, and I was able to gte inside.  I could't watch, but I listened for a good hour or so.  It was cool to hear them jamming and making mistakes and practicing the intro to Kite over and over and over...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 04:44 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 11:35 PM »
It seems that the band, Eno and Lanois are all going for something "different" and U2 has always been their best when experimenting!

While I still like Zooropa and Pop a fair amount, it might have been a bit too much experimenting for most. 

But they have earned the right to do whatever they want and I will give it a fair shake.  I usually come around. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 05:44 PM »
But you must remember how diffferent and how experimental Unforgettable Fire was at the time.  Joshua Tree was very diffferent than anything they'd done before.  Actung Baby was totally out in left field when it came out. All of those "classic" U2 albums were very experimental.  That's what I'm getting at.  The last two albums were fantastic, beautiful albums, but they covered no new ground sound-wise.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com