Author Topic: OTC Figure with Cup Sets (AKA Saga Wave 2)  (Read 7729 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
OTC Figure with Cup Sets (AKA Saga Wave 2)
« on: August 25, 2004, 10:08 AM »
Thought I'd post this here since they are officially OTC now...

Check out the pictures from the front page!

Well, wave 2 of the cup sets is up for sale on eBay, so I guess that means that the odds are now in favor of these showing up at retail.

Granted, we all remember the Saga Cantina sets, but the future looks bright for these three cup sets!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: OTC Figure with Cup Sets (AKA Saga Wave 2)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 10:29 AM »
I know some people aren't too crazy about these, but I'm happy to see these sets show up online again...and really hope they make it to retail here in the US.  The figures can be chucked as far as I care, but I do really like the glasses themselves.  Plus, the OTC packaging style just makes these look even spiffer (doesn't it seem to do that to everything?).  Anyways, thanks for posting Jeff, I really hope that these do see the light of day...plus, it is a pretty good character selection...even if not the best actual figure selection :).

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 10:54 AM »
I agree, Brian.

The OTC package makes it look that much better and the character selection is great... too bad the figure selection rots.  :(

Jeff

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 06:30 PM »
I think it's great that these might show up in the good ole US.  Will these be a Target exclusive again if they do??  I'm wondering if we will see a set of three in 2005 with the new packaging for ROTS and the other two prequels.  The only thing I would have liked to see would have been a 'vintage' figure instead.  I think it would have been a double-flash-back whammy but I guess we would have had to shell out an extra $5.00 for the a non-sage figure.  :-\
Beth

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 07:50 PM »

The OTC package makes it look that much better and the character selection is great... too bad the figure selection rots.  :(

Aww, come on, those are great figures! Now I can get ROTJ Boba Fett, complete with action feature button jetpack peg, not only in the OTC carded collection and Walmart Vader carry case, but with a cup, too. That's two Target exclusives with rehashed Fetts in it at the same time. And I also needed another Flashback Yoda, especially since I can only buy a super articulated soft goods VOTC version and a newly sculpted standard OTC version right now. And don't get me started on how impossible it is to find a Cantina Han right now. He sells like coke-laced hotcakes.

Thanks, Hasbro. Good timing and way to offer your retail partners "special" exclusives.  ::) I do like them cups though. I honestly don't recall ever having to chace to many lame exclusives down in one year. I actually am finding being a completist utterly annyoying right now.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 08:00 PM »
Another pass. *Sigh*
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 09:54 PM »
I kinda wish the cups were being sold seperate now. >:(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 11:22 PM »
The cups are definitely the attraction in these sets for me, not the figures.  How many times is Hasbro going to reissue that Han Solo?!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 11:26 PM »
How many times is Hasbro going to reissue that Han Solo?!

Um...
At least 7?

1. CommTech
2. Saga 2003
3. Saga HoF
4. OTC
5. C-3PO Carry Case
6. Sam's Club Falcon
7. OTC Figure w/Cup

And probably more to come.  ::)

Jeff

Offline habs98

• Jedi Initiate
  • Think before you speak to me!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 09:03 PM »
I really like these next 3, especially Boba Fett.  He looks pretty good alongside the cup.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 10:10 PM »
They should have included the 300th Fett instead of the Carkoon one, but it still is a good set. I also think that they should have used POTJ Bespin Han instead of this one, I'm getting pretty bored with it.  ::)
"This is the way."

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 06:02 PM »
I'm getting a little nervous about how much this cup collection is potentially going to grow in the future, based on some of the rumored reports I've seen in the news here in the past.

I agree that these look even better in the OTC packaging, but I'm just interested in having the cups, so I'll be taking them out.  In that respect, I agree that there was at least a good choice in characters here.  Can anyone refresh my memory as to what the rest of the rumored cups were supposed to be?  I'm too lazy to scroll back through the news archives.  If they make too many more of these though, they're going to cross the line where I'm going to start wanting a "more complete" line of cups, with all the major characters being represented!   :-\

They just better add an Episode 3 cup or two into the mix, to round out the collection.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 5, 2005, 07:11 AM »
Did these three cup sets ever come out? Now that we have the three cups from ROTS, it would be great to get them - if just for the cups alone....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: April 5, 2005, 11:48 AM »
Did these three cup sets ever come out? Now that we have the three cups from ROTS, it would be great to get them - if just for the cups alone....

No, they were never released.   :(

The early salesman samples popped up on eBay and a few Asian stores took pre-orders only to have them cancelled a few months later.  These 3 cups (and the rumored next wave of Vader, Greedo, Luke) are just another one of those mystery items that dissapeared into the night (like CD-ROM Bespn Dinner Vader).

Jeff

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 5, 2005, 01:39 PM »
No, they were never released.   :(

The early salesman samples popped up on eBay and a few Asian stores took pre-orders only to have them cancelled a few months later.  These 3 cups (and the rumored next wave of Vader, Greedo, Luke) are just another one of those mystery items that dissapeared into the night (like CD-ROM Bespn Dinner Vader).

Jeff

It's a shame really - I would love for them to do three Cups from each movie....

TPM:
Darth Maul
Qui-Gon Jinn
Queen Amidala

AOTC:
Anakin Skywalker
Count Dooku
Mace Windu

ROTS:
General Grievous
Clonetrooper
Obi-Wan Kenobi (young)

ANH:
Obi-Wan Kenobi (old)
Han Solo
Greedo

ESB:
Luke Skywalker (Snowspeeder Pilot)
Yoda
Darth Vader

ROTJ:
Leia as Jabba's Slave
Boba Fett
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)

A collection of 18 cups like that would have seriously rocked. I know a lot of people don't like these because of the re-packed figures but I think it's better to look at these as cups w/a bonus figure 'cause imagine how many people would be upset if the figure was new in some way (new paint-op, new sculpt, etc...)?

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!