Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - The Empire Strikes Back  (Read 13291 times)

SilverZ

Vintage OTC Figures - The Empire Strikes Back
« on: August 18, 2004, 07:00 PM »
Hadn't seen any images in this pose for Vader, which I thought was pretty groovy:

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage OTC Figures - The Empire Strikes Back
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 02:27 PM »
Since our VOTC thread is getting so huge, I thought I'd abuse my new found Mod skillz and spin off separate threads for the ESB wave and the RotJ waves...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 02:47 PM »
So far, I am happy with Vader and Yoda.  I opened up my extra set (thanks Scott!), and thought I'd do a mini-review.

Vader: Excellent.  Great articulation, although his shoulder joints are a bit strange, not quite the normal ball-joints them seem to be different.  I love the flowing cape, and I must be lucky because my Vader's chain stays down.

Yoda:  So far, he ranks only higher than Luke in my vOTC rankings.  Not quite the right color and a little bit tiny compared to other Yoda figures.  I love his individually sculpted legs though!  First time they tried it and his legs seems so skinny and alien.  Very good.  The rest, eh.

Han is still my favorite though...

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2004, 09:39 AM »
It looks like Galactic Hunter has a little preview feature on the upcoming VOTC C-3PO.  You can check out the pics at the above linky.

Also, on another note, for those of you who have found both the OTC Yoda and the VOTC Yoda, which do you like better?  I do really like the VOTC version, and the nostalgic qualities it has...and it isn't a bad figure....but part of me almost thinks that the OTC one "looks" better overall.  I guess the cloak looks kind of bulky, and maybe that is the one drawback, although with a little work it seems like you can get it to look pretty nice.  Anyways, just curious what some of your opinions are.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2004, 11:07 AM by mosnab »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 3, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Also, on another note, for those of you who have found both the OTC Yoda and the VOTC Yoda, which do you like better? 

Hmmm... I think I like the idea of the vOTC Yoda, but for some reason, I like the look of the Yoda in Luke's backpack you can create with the OTC version.  The OTC Yoda seems like a much more versitile figure than the vOTC Yoda.

My vOTC Yoda has trouble standing, his cloak looks a bit wierd, his legs look too small, and his head is just not right.  If only they could have combined the best of the 2 Yodas together into a super-Yoda, that would have rocked...

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2004, 11:24 AM »
I like OTC Yoda better, but they both could use better eyes and a better paint job :-\  The idea of a Super Yoda would have been keen...or maybe replacing VOTC Yoda with Boba and having a VOTC Emperor would have been keener

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2004, 11:38 AM »
I like OTC Yoda better, but they both could use better eyes and a better paint job :-\  The idea of a Super Yoda would have been keen...or maybe replacing VOTC Yoda with Boba and having a VOTC Emperor would have been keener

My vote would have been to keep Boba Fett in VOTC:ROTJ, and put Chewie in Yoda's place in VOTC:ESB, adding a sweet VOTC Emperor in the ROTJ lineup. That way, we finally get a ROTJ Boba Fett that doesn't suck Lobot's nuts with a ****** action feature and "button" missle, and we get a kick ass Emperor that can sit on his throne.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2004, 11:43 AM »
I could go along with that as well, because we just got a pretty spiffy Yoda in the OTC collection, at around the same time.  I mean, I can see why they chose him for the lineup, being a well-recognized and fairly intregral character, but I would have been ok using the OTC Yoda (for $5 especially), and adding the Emperor to the VOTC lineup.  We still need a really well done Emperor.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2004, 11:54 AM »
Well, we really needed a well done ROTJ Chewie too so maybe they could have moved the Stormie to ESB :P

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2004, 12:40 PM »
My dollars went to a second OTC Yoda rather than the OTC one. The faces of the ones I saw were just way too off for me, plus the cloak did little to impress. I like the snake, but not 10-bucks like.

The second OTC Yoda I have (actually, the fiance found it at the store) has a paintjob like I never beleived I'd see, and really makes the figure one of the best looking Star Wars toys I own, period. Add in the extremely posable arms, and I have no need for another Yoda in the foreseeable future.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2004, 03:10 PM »
Now that we have some closer pictures of the VOTC C-3PO, what do you think of it?  Looks like he has a bit of a lean according to this pic (courtesy of GH):

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: September 3, 2004, 03:22 PM »
Looks like he has a bit of a lean according to this pic (courtesy of GH)

Hmmm...  Interesting.  I'm sure it could at least be a little more straightened at the hip joints, but yeah, the legs/feet do have a leaned posed to them, for whatever reason.  Weird.  He's definitely got a worn/weathered look to him as well, but I like the silver shin touch.  Hopefully it's somewhat subtle, and not as contrasting as the HOF version...

Should be hitting real soon here, so I guess we'll all be finding out soon enough! 

SilverZ

« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2004, 03:25 PM »
Can't comment too much on the VOTC one here, since I've only found one and he's staying incarcerated in plastic until a second shows. In terms of VOTC appropriateness, I think he's actually really necessary. A lot more than say, 3P0. For characters closely tied to ESB in think Yoda, Lando, and Fett. It seems like they're 12 figure limitation screws up the whole idea of VOTC, putting essential characters on their vintage cards. I think the Emperor and a Biker Scout are very ROTJ iconic, and there's just no room for those guys. We need a second series of these suckas.

But anyway, I love the OTC Yoda to death. It pretty much does everything I need out of Yoda - he cleverly separates to fit into the backpack and has articulation at the shoulders and neck that allow him to look right leaning on his cane or conversing with Luke from the pack. Excellent figure.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: September 3, 2004, 03:36 PM »
Red Alert!

Just heard from an old TF pal (Gundam) that he found vOTC C-3PO and Lando today at Wal-Mart in TN.

I guess that means it's time to start looking!  8)

Jeff

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: September 3, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Nice score to Gundam...  He should trot by and give some imrpessions some time.

I'm looking forward to Lando myself...  3PO bites.

I've yet to find Vader and Yoda BTW...  Still non-existant in my neck of the woods, and most stores now have almost bare pegs for VOTC.  The most I see is 5 figures at a time, and that's maybe 2 stores who got the 1st series in "late" (IE: Wal-Mart stores).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77