Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - The Return of the Jedi  (Read 37690 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures - The Return of the Jedi
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Dave,
Nice job on the review.  I am finally excited to see the DVD's and you review helped.

Thanks, I had fun writing it and "forcing" myself to watch those DVD's.  ;D

BTW, how did you become a Seahawk fan way out there in Jersey?  Let me guess you like Sir MIx A Lot too ;D?

Oh boy. I took a lot of heat for this explanation a while back, but it's the truth, so I'll just copy and paste from the other thread instead of making up a new explanation:

Dave's going to refresh my memory in a moment here as to who his NBA team is.  It's not the Sonics though, I know that much.  He's not even from Seattle, so I find his Seahawk fandom a bit curious...  Care to explain D.?

uhmmm, not really much to the story to be honest. back around... 1980? 1981 maybe? i was 10 or 11 and just really getting into sports. at that time, every football team's jersey looked the same. just a bland color with a number. except for seattle. they had this really cool logo on the sleeve. so, they became my team. but they do have a "connection" of sorts to one of my favorite bands... pearl jam :)

So there you go. OK, let me have it...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2004, 12:26 AM »
Those Mother *******!

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85213C

Update September 20, 2004. Due to supply issues from Hasbro, Entertainment Earth is estimating to fill a portion of orders for this item. As of this date, however, we do not have exact numbers as to the quantity we can fill.

Star Wars - The Original Trilogy Collection 3 3/4 inch Special Edition Vintage Figure Assortment Wave 3. Case of 8 individually packaged figures includes 2x Boba Fett - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 1x R2-D2 - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 1x Chewbacca - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 2x Stormtrooper - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 1x Lando Calrissian - Empire Strikes Back, 1x Darth Vader - Empire Strikes Back.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85213C3

Update September 20, 2004. This is the ONLY upcoming assortment of Vintage Star Wars figures that Hasbro can guarantee we will receive and can still take orders on with confidence.

1x Boba Fett - Return of the Jedi, 2x Stormtrooper - Return of the Jedi, 2x Yoda - Empire Strikes Back, 1x Lando Calrissian - Empire Strikes Back, 2x Darth Vader - Empire Strikes Back.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 12:29 AM by OCB »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2004, 12:29 AM »
This is really getting out of hand now. What is Hasbro trying to do? Make people stop collecting figures? What is so hard about making case assortments? 8 figures in a case. 4 figures in each assortment. I know - lets take 1 of these, 2 of these, and throw in 5 old figures. Yeah, that's it!! Brilliant!!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2004, 12:41 AM »
Nope, MAKE you go to retail, who they're in the back pockets of basically.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that retail bitched on this one.  Just throwing my guess out there, but I think etail's cut into them so much because collectors just are skipping over them, and they're fighting back at the source now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2004, 01:08 AM »
But with assortments like this, they are just going to end up burning themselves. Unless of course they are making different assortments available to regular retail. Which I highly doubt. Regardless of where these figures are going to be sold, these assortments suck ass.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2004, 01:29 AM »
Update September 20, 2004. Due to supply issues from Hasbro, Entertainment Earth is estimating to fill a portion of orders for this item. As of this date, however, we do not have exact numbers as to the quantity we can fill.

I better get my ******* vOTC Chewie, R2, Fett, and Stormtrooper!

Hasbro can suck it.

>:(
Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2004, 04:11 PM »
Those Mother *******!

And the case (if EE get it at all) looks pushed to November. Good, because I really enjoy looking for Stormtroopers at retail. Boba Fett, too.

Hasbro can really just go to hell and die now for all I care. Way to keep the customers happy. At least Walmart can say they got them first, and that's what counts, right?  ::)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2004, 05:00 PM »
Those Mother *******!

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85213C

Star Wars - The Original Trilogy Collection 3 3/4 inch Special Edition Vintage Figure Assortment Wave 3. Case of 8 individually packaged figures includes 2x Boba Fett - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 1x R2-D2 - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 1x Chewbacca - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 2x Stormtrooper - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 1x Lando Calrissian - Empire Strikes Back, 1x Darth Vader - Empire Strikes Back.

"Updated September 22, 2004. Hasbro has confirmed now that all backorders for this item will be filled."

Whew!

Estimated Arrival - November 2004  ::)

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2004, 05:13 PM »
Whew that is good news...but the November date is puzzling to say the least...I hope I can find a Mint 3PO and Lando and I can officially cancel my 2.5 orders.  That would leave a mint ROTJ figs...which I hope flood retail in the next few days because I'm jonesing for these figures, especially the Stormie

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2004, 05:32 PM »
Same boat here with my order at bigbadtoystore.  They long ago cancelled the ROTJ preorder they had, but I still have the first 8 figures outstanding and not a peep from them.  Those are my openers for all intents and purposes, so I'm more than a little nervous about that order being filled.  Nervous enough to have picked up additional figures of Yoda and Luke. 

At least Walmart can say they got them first, and that's what counts, right?   

I wish, Walmart up here isn't even carrying these >:(  They're too busy with Astro Boy and Power Rangers.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2004, 01:09 AM »
Flooding retail's a REALLY nice thought on the ROTJ wave.  I'd love some of that...  To see a sea of Fett's, Stormtroopers, Chewie's, and yeah R2... 

Inevitably, far more R2.

Still, those are easily 3 of the best figures ever from Hasbro, even at $10 a pop.  Figures that should see re-release for the duration of the modern line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Out of pure chance I stopped by my local Target this morning and took a look around for some new figures. Walked straight past the always-cramped VOTCs because a General Lando had caught my eye. Never saw him in Saga, so I grabbed it and quickly plied through the pegs looking for Madine and Han.

Nada. I was happy with finding Lando though, and as I turned to walk away, I realized a VOTC Chewbacca was staring me in the face. And above him was a Boba Fett...

I searched and found Stormtroopers and R2s as well. I wound up buying Chewie and Stormtrooper...(as well as that General Lando and a spare Cloud Car Pilot.

The VOTC pegs were filled with all of the figures!! If I had never seen a VOTC before today, I could've walked into that store and bought all 12 and thought nothing of it. I hope this is the trend for the holiday season. (Not that I need to shop anymore, but, you know, out of compassion for my fellow collectors.)

Chewie's bandolier is NOT[/b] removable. Though it is a separately sculpted piece, it is pegged and glued into his shoulder. A little customizing will take care of that, of course (much easier than grinding down the whole piece like you used to) but it was so close to removable that it hurts. Still, he's a great figure. Main problem is the paint on the "blond" fur highlights tends to go a little overboard, resulting in Chewies that look like they just finished a tub of vanialla pudding. His head is not as movable as the CCCapture version, a disapointment as well. Other than that, everything is perfect. His waist works great--think the Wampa, but more solid. I have a Wookiee that can lean through 360 degrees! I'm really happy with him.

The Stormtrooper, on the other hand, is flawless. I was afraid of the working holster, especially after the Concept trooper from last year, but Hasbro nailed it with a new design I haven't heard mentioned before--the gun fits through a "keyhole" slot in the flat holster piece, rather than plugging into a big square cup. It really works and looks right when empty. These will make excellent bases for customized Han and Luke Troopers, too--the head pops of nice to give you a practically-empty helmet already, all the work will come in getting the big white neck ball down to the size of the other headholes. He looks good mixed in with my CT Troopers,even if he makes them look a little tall and lanky. I think I'm gonna have to stop back on my way to work and pick up a second...it's just that good.

I passed on Boba in the end. His head is too big for my taste, and his gauntlets are really bulky, even in person. The rubber cape sealed the deal--the 300th version looks better to me, so I'll keep the 10 bucks.

Artoo would've had a time convincing me. He looks like Artoo, all right, but the chrome dome is a minus to me, and the tools just aren't worth the ten bucks. So it didn't happen today.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Congrats on the great find.  Hopefully these start popping up everywhere in the coming days/weeks/months now.  I just saw that someone had a review (with some pics) posted in the rebelscum forums...and really, all four of these figures look pretty good to me.  Might be one of the best waves overall, since all four figs look to be pretty good.  Really jonesin' for that Chewie, and the others look great as well.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2004, 10:57 AM »
Congrats on picking them up, I know I am looking forward to this wave with HUGE anticipation!

My vOTC Han has been so lonely for his pal Chewie... well OK, maybe not too lonely since he's had vOTC Leia to keep him company, but he's missed Chewie nonetheless.

Everytime I see new loose pictures of Stormie in all those cool poses, I go crazy.  I am going to have SUCH a hard time not buying a dozen of those uber-articulated holster wearing Troopers!   ;D

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2004, 12:22 PM »
Sweet Find Bobb!  I know I'll be haunting Targets in the land of Target for a few days here in hopes of getting those figures