Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - The Return of the Jedi  (Read 37892 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Vintage OTC Figures - The Return of the Jedi
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2004, 11:53 AM »
Yeah I know...they should have shown him in an AT-ST or in the Shuttle or with Two Ewoks on his back

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2004, 01:09 PM »
Oh, now I get what you meant.  ;D

I like the pic of him and Leia Boussh, but he used the vintage, which really contrasts with the new Chewie. It also makes me want a new Boussh Leia so much more than I already do.

Another figure that really needs a redo is Endor Han. Now that we have this kick ass Chewbacca, its almost tragic to pose him next to that ****-sandwich SAGA Han endor.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2004, 01:24 PM »
Agreed on both counts.  Boussh Leia and Endor Han (with trenchcoat) are two figures I'd really like to see done.  I got into collecting after the Boussh Leia was released in POTF2, and never picked up the old one just hoping that a newer, better version would be released.  I have the Endor Hans that have been released, but none of them are particularly impressive.  After seeing the recent sculpts in the (new) OTC line and vOTC, I really think Hasbro could do wonders with both of these characters.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2004, 07:24 PM »
Got my rotj vOTC today!   ;D

I am SOOOOO impressed with these 4 figures.  Even R2 is much better than I was expecting.  Granted, maybe he isn't worth $10, but he is a great multifaceted R2 nonetheless.

And Chewie.  Dang.  He is sooooo cool.  Mine isn't too yellow-furred, so he look fantastic.  If I were a kid, I don't think I'd go anywhere without my vOTC Han and Chewie... ah, heck who am I kidding.  I am seriously thinking about grabbing another Han and Chewie just so I can have a set to keep at my desk at work.

vOTC Han and Chewie are my new favorite SW figure, hands down, no contest.

Fett is so articulated, and I seem to like him a bit more than the pre-posed 300th Fett.

Stormtroopers...  :)  It is taking all of my will power to trade off my 3 extras.  I want to army build this guy SOOOO badly, but I am trying my hardest to wait it out to see if/when they are re-released or clearanced.  THEN, if they get cheaper, I'd army build this guy til the cows come home...

Overall - A+

Maybe I'm not critical enough, but I LOVE this wave.

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2004, 09:20 PM »
Overall - A+

Maybe I'm not critical enough, but I LOVE this wave.

I'm right there with ya Jeff, I feel like something is wrong with me because I don't have a lot to bitch about with the wave!  :)

Maybe it's the absolute suckage of 3P0 that brought my expectations down, but still.

Chewie is such a surprise home run. He's nearly perfect. Mine also has a nicely understated yellow wash to him, unlike those shots there. If new Chewbaccas from this point on used him as a basis for their sculpt I'd be fine with some kitbashing and mods from here on out.

I've gushed about the Stormy plenty. All I'd like that he doesn't deliver is the VOTC Luke hip articulation to solve the kneeling issues he has. I have an extra still sitting on the card, but I've opened 2 already and I know that opening the last one will cause a greedy and expensive army building spree.

Fett took some time but really grew on me. I like that his rocket pack has the standard peg on it, matching Jango's, so it fits on the back wall of the Slave 1 cockpit. R2 is great for being, well, R2. Can't ask for much more out of a set of figures, really.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2004, 09:21 AM »
If I were a kid, I don't think I'd go anywhere without my vOTC Han and Chewie... ah, heck who am I kidding.  I am seriously thinking about grabbing another Han and Chewie just so I can have a set to keep at my desk at work.

That was something I was thinking the other day looking at these VOTC figures (don't have Chewie quite yet though).  Could you imagine having figures like this when you were a kid?  Not that I'm complaining, I loved the vintage figures back then (and still now), but I think it would have been pretty cool having figures like the VOTC Han and Chewie (and Stormie, Vader, Fett, etc.).  Granted, I think the environment for kids is much different now than it was in the 70s/80s, but having a line like this available to us back then would have been pretty cool.  I'd also really like to get extras of Han and Chewie, just to have loose and display elsewhere.  Not sure if I can justify spending $60 for 3 sets of those two figures, but it is tempting :).

Also, I don't have Chewie quite yet (hopefully today via Amazon), but from what I have, and what I have seen online of the wook, the ROTJ wave has to be the best of the series.  I know some people really complain about R2, and while I won't say that it is the "best ever" necessarily, I was kind of surprised how neat it was.  I think if it didn't have the "chrome dome" more people would be more positive about it, but it is a nice vintage nod I guess too.  Not worth $10, but still a nice figure.  The rest of the series (Fett, Stormtrooper, Chewbacca) are all pretty close to being perfect, and a great way to close out the series.  I'm still hoping they decide to pursue this idea again in the future, or at least make more figures of the same quality as these.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2004, 09:07 AM »
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/sw_menu.asp

Back in stock (including Chewie and R2!), more than other places but the shipping is cheaper

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2004, 10:47 AM »
I received my ROTJ Chewie yesterday in the mail (via Amazon.com), and I am just amazed with this figure.  Best...Chewbacca....Ever, as many others have already said.  Probably the best of the entire line, or possibly even with the Han Solo.  I don't really have one complaint on this figure, and I really hope I can find 1 (or 2) more of them.  If I could only buy two of this line, it would have been Han and Chewie.  I feel pretty lucky that my two favorite characters of the Star Wars universe seem to have gotten the best figure treatment in this line :).  Anyways, good job on this one Hasbro.  Just as well use this basic body/treatment for all future Chewies, or they just aren't going to look as good :).

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #173 on: October 14, 2004, 06:41 PM »
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/sw_menu.asp

Back in stock (including Chewie and R2!), more than other places but the shipping is cheaper

Now out-of-stock.

Piss.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2004, 02:23 PM »
Stormie and Fett are back in stock at WalMart.com

DBK

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2004, 02:33 PM »
I just placed an order for Stormtroopers...  Besides my Chewie's, R2, and a 3PO, this should catch me up on VOTC to where I wanted to be with my outstanding deals set here at the site too.

Thanks for the heads up DBK, it's appreciated.  I doubt I'd have caught these if it wasn't a Saturday morning, and you hadn't said something.

Yikes on the shipping.  It's not terrible, but it isn't great either. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2004, 08:10 PM »
JJ,

No problemo, glad to offer a tip.  I ditto your sentiments on the shipping, I thought twice about that too, but figured if I wanted the figures I would have to "bit the shipping bullet."

DBK

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2004, 09:00 PM »
Bit the bullet and scored R2 and Chewbacca on ebay. $15 each plus $6.50 shipping, so I don't think I did too bad.

At least now I won't bother with going to Target and TRU after work to see if they've finally stocked these.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2004, 07:17 PM »
Yeah, I got a Chewie on eBay for $13, with $4 shipping. Pretty cheap, compared to what some people are asking for these things.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2004, 08:52 PM »
I was thinking about looking for Stormtroopers, but I'm sure the prices on those are nuts, so I didn't bother looking.

I did see C-3PO down to $26, compared to the $100 we saw last week.