Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191836 times)

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2003, 09:42 AM »
Definitely a scam...  forward the e-mail to eBay and see what they say.

Be sure to let us know.

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2003, 09:46 AM »
Yea that's a tad fishy...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2003, 09:57 AM »
Big time scam. Do not click anything on the email & do not fill anything out! Forward it to eBay.

Send it to spoof@ebay.com

I have had them in the past.

eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information
(such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social
Security numbers, etc.) in an email.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2003, 10:28 AM »
Am I the only one to noticed "unconvenience"?

Me fail english? Thats unpossible
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2003, 10:30 AM »
And off it goes.  

I generally don't respond to anything asking for sensitive information.  Just too  many scam artists.  

The timing is funny though.  I'm arguing with a seller about mandatory insurance (within Canada and $2 US) that was listed as optional on ebay.  Perhaps time for my first negative feedback (to give and to receive).  

Maybe it's a way of telling me to stop buying 12" star wars figures on ebay ;D ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2003, 10:40 AM »
The spelling, that's funny.

I also found it strange that they were about to suspend you for breaking the rules ( a major one too ) and yet they apologize, and thank you for using eBay!

LOL

Scott

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2003, 10:45 AM »
ebay responded already.  Spoof it is.  Oops.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2003, 02:11 PM »
I got that exact same email this morning, and I've gotten them before.  Spoof emails really piss me off.   >:(
dustrho

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2003, 02:18 PM »
The only one of these that almost fooled me was a Paypal spoof I got within 10 minutes of sending paypal payment to someone. It was so coincidental, I actually blindly clicked on it, before realizing the URL was not paypal's.

DUH!

So....what I did, was went there and filled out a ton of bogus information, with street names like "You stupid wannabe hacker" and so on.

It was fun.
Got Clones?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2003, 05:08 PM »

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2003, 07:51 PM »
Hi All,

So I finally bit the  bullet and set up a seller's account on eBay.  No Star Wars stuff, mainly cell phones as I work in that industry and have literally dozens of them lying around.. anyway.

I just have a few questions that maybe some of the seasoned eBay sellers can help me with.

1. - Is it normal for people to contact you and offer to buy the item "Off eBay" - I guess cancel your auction and sell it to them.  This is against the eBay rules right??

2. - Is it also normal for them to berate you when you refuse, stating that you will never be able to sell your item. etc etc etc?

3. - Will this happen all the time?

4. - What does it mean when the bid count is 3, but it is all by the same person.

Thanks for any advice and words of wisdom.

Scott

Offline Valtar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Impressive... Most Impressive.
    • View Profile
    • Valtarz Customz 'n' Artz
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2003, 08:30 PM »
Well Sp00ky,

1. - Is it normal for people to contact you and offer to buy the item "Off eBay" - I guess cancel your auction and sell it to them.  This is against the eBay rules right??

Yes, it is normal for other E-bay members to contact you and try and get you to stop a auction.

2. - Is it also normal for them to berate you when you refuse, stating that you will never be able to sell your item. etc etc etc?

tho, this is not normal... there are alot of people out there that are just bungholes and will do this.

Not likly   :P

4. - What does it mean when the bid count is 3, but it is all by the same person.

It means that the person whom placed a bid was worried about being outbid so they added a higher max bid.

and your welcome Scott,

Johnny

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2003, 08:36 PM »
Tried to help ya out!

It happens fairly often, or at least it does with the business me and a friend run... Depends on what kinda goods you're selling I guess. I don't believe it is against the rules, however - eBay has a Private Auctions deal, I think.  ???

Don't be surprised by morons... and if they berate you, then obviously they aren't really worth dealing with.

Possibly, but, it's no big deal, just delete the mail.

This happens from time to time - not sure why.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2003, 09:20 PM »
I've never sold anything on eBay, but I've done a fair amount of buying and "policing" (with Dale)...  ;D

1.  I wouldn't say it's "normal", but it definitely happens from time to time when buyers contact you for a "side deal".  And I do think it's against eBay's rules, if it works out where eBay gets removed from the deal and isn't going to get their cut.  They definitely want their slice of the pie!

2.  It's unfortunately normal that there's a lot of idiots and jerks in the world who'll throw a hissy fit, and lob various threats over the net if/when they don't get their way with something.  I say just report them to eBay, saying that they're soliciting the sellers and trying to cut side deals without eBay's involvement.  They'll be hearing from eBay in no time!

3.  All the time?  No.  Every now and then?  Unfortunately, yes.   :-\

4.  Either they're just getting nervous and upping their bid to stay ahead of any potential future competition, OR they're "chasing a reserve" amount, if there's a reserve price on the auction.  Buyers will often up their bid little by little to try to reach the reserve amount without going too far over it, thus making the auction "good" to assure themselves that someone's going to collect the loot!

Good luck Scott!   8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2003, 10:09 PM »
1: Does happen from time to time.

2: Yep, there a lot of people that will try to steal a deal. If they don't get what they want, they cry!

3: From time to time, not often but it does.

4: He maybe putting in a higher proxy bid, (his maximum bid) or if it's a reserve auction then he naybe trying to find the reserve.

eBay does have there rules. Like there ever followed by buyers & sellers.

Is against the eBay rules to cancel a bid to sell to an offer. This can be answered in there rules:

Offers to Buy or Sell Off-Site

This is eBays site map:  Site Map

All you need to know is in the links provide. Scroll down to the Help section & read up on the Basics link. There will be more links inside to help you out.

If this person keeps bugging you, you can report it to eBay. It's plain & simple spam.
This is the link for contact therecustomer support:
Contact Customer Support

Just click on Report Transaction Problems, then Spam & Miscellaneous Offenses, then sellect the appropriate category which sound like you need User Sent Unsolicited email (spam) or other.