Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191834 times)

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET

Fettish Sez Thanks

Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #166 on: March 9, 2004, 05:10 PM »
If PayPal is such an inconvenience, then maybe those people should resort to sending money orders like the old days? Hell, PayPal isn't the only online payment service.

I love it. I had 28 items end this past Sunday night, and I went from $0 to $650 in less than 24 hours thanks to PayPal.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 9, 2004, 05:40 PM »
Paypal does have its downfalls. I sold a potf paploo on ebay. The winner did a bin, and he had -1 feedback. I could not cancel the bid because he did a bin. He eventually paid me using paypal. Once he received the item he told paypal i didnt ship it. I tried to contact paypal with the proof of shipment, but they wouldnt listen and took out 50.00 from my account, leaving me at -50.00.
Being i refused to get ripped off from either paypal or this clown, i stopped using that account. They sent me numerous emails saying if i didnt pay them then my account would get disabled. It eventually got disabled, but by then i had already signed up with my other email address. I put my middle initial in my name so it would work correctly. I wasnt going to be out a mint carded figure and 50.00. Had paypal taken the time to check my proof of shipment they would not have been out the 50.00...seems only fair, why should i be down 100
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2004, 09:40 AM »
After reading this, some info on the paypalsucks.com website, and researching some more info on my own... I agree with quite a few people...

Paypal is very convienient, but it also has some major flaws, and I think one of them is their TOS or Terms of Service gives them too much access, and power.

All of this is with little or no accountability or oversight.

It really was discouraging.  

One of the things that really struck me was they could freeze your account, but would still continue to accept funds into it.  Meaning you have no access to your money, but they will allow more to be depositied if you don't get to people in time.  If its frozen, you can't even access it in order to shut it down.

This sounds very illegal to me.

Long story short ( too late I guess ), I closed my paypal account yesterday, I just don't trust them.

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2004, 09:50 AM »

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 1, 2004, 05:00 PM »
that is silly, i cant believe how much is there. i wonder how he plans to ship it. i dont think that would fit in most suvs
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2004, 10:38 AM »
Usually Ebay scams are pretty easy to spot. This morning I read about one at a site called macintouch.com that is not. Here is the post:

Apr. 27, 2004

John Fuhrmann
I was bitten by a fraudulent email that appeared to be from eBay today... I am a webmaster and know my html and I looked very carefully at the source code before proceeding. All the links in this html email appeared to go to eBay. COM

The Subject of the message was: eBay Bid Cancellation Notice - Item
The message appeared to be from: aw-confirm@ebay.com
The message contained no text, only an attachment: detrimisScurt.htm

I have external links turned off in my email and so I looked at this apparently benign attachment. The very legitimate looking attachment said:

Dear eBay Community Member,

The bid that you entered for the item (<a href="http://scgi-secure-ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPIdll/ViewItem.htm">284328704</a>)
has been cancelled. You can view the reason provided for the cancellation by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page.

Regards,
eBay

I currently have bids underway through a timed auction manager and so I clicked on the number of the auction above. This brought up a legitimate looking login screen that appeared to be generated by eBay. COM. I put in my id and password and logged in. I was then taken to a REAL eBay page that said there was NO SUCH AUCTION!

Sensing BIGTIME FRAUD, I immediately went to my profiles on eBay and paypal and changed my passwords. I also forwarded the message in question to spoof@ebay.com, who wrote back to me within minutes to tell me that my suspicions about this message were correct.

I have been aware of several criminal spoofs like this in the past but I was always able to detect their true purpose before compromising my account.

End of story. Anyway, just thought it might save someone some trouble.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 10:38 AM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2004, 02:08 PM »
I delete all emails that come from ebay like "hot deals" and whatever.  Too much risk for crap like that...

As of right now, I'm more concerned about being scammed by ebay members.  I'm trying to work out a problem with a seller now, who I sent payment to in the middle of March and my stuff is STILL not here.  

Its been "My daughter mailed it"  "let me check with my daughter to see if she mailed it" crap...

I have a feeling someones getting a negative soon.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2004, 02:26 AM »
That just goes to show you that you have to stick with rule #1 on this issue: NEVER SUPPLY ANY PERSONAL INFO IN E-MAILS LIKE THIS, WHETHER YOU PROCEED TO THE URL BY CLICKING, COPY/PASTE OR WHATEVER. Just type in the actual main page address to the site www.ebay.com, and go look through your own "My eBay" section for your supposedly cancelled bid (or whatever the case my may). E-mails asking for passwords, credit cards or any crucial info are ALWAYS SCAMS.

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2004, 08:12 AM »
That's quite a sneaky spoof there, but what I don't understand are these other junk spoofs that I get every day, sometimes 2 or 3 per day.

The subject line always says "Question from eBay member regarding...", though it looks exactly like the kind of emails you would get from a member contacting you.  The text says some variation of "Hello, please add $7.00 for shipping to East Albuquerque for item # xxxxxxxxxx, wireless networking router."  There is no link in the email.  When I go to eBay and search for the item number, of course it comes up blank.  

What gives?  There is no fake eBay site or request for my password.  

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2004, 08:24 PM »
ha ha ha

oh man, those pics are too funny...

edit: actually, i went back and actually read the auction... priceless. if you have a few minutes to spare, read it. you'll be glad you did.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 09:12 PM by jokabofe »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2004, 10:18 PM »
Oh... my God...

That's great! Thanks for the link.  ;D
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2004, 10:35 PM »
Priceless, absolutely priceless.  Nice ending bid for the guy too. :D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2004, 12:54 AM »
Oh, wow.

Greatest auction write-up I've probably ever read. The pics are priceless too.

Look at the counter on that auction. I don't think I've seen so many hits in that short of time.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk