Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 194685 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #315 on: November 27, 2007, 02:24 AM »
The biggest ******* on eBay?

I'll be monitoring his auctions and asking the magical question for each item he puts up.  :)  Anyone else game?

John

Yep, definite *******.

Oh, this could be fun.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:25 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #316 on: November 27, 2007, 08:29 AM »
What a pleasant guy.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 4, 2008, 06:44 AM »
What a dumbass ::)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 29, 2008, 03:43 PM »
For those that buy and sell on eBay, there are several changes coming soon. Most notable are the feedback changes.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/rewards/index.html?ov=004KO

Some of the changes are ok, but I think some of the other ones are going to cause a stir.

While I'm a buyer and not a seller, I still don't think it's fair that buyers will now only be able to receive positive feedback. So I guess for sellers, their only option is to not leave feedback at all if they have a negative or neutral transaction with a buyer.

Also, eliminating feedback older than 12 months isn't fair to long term eBay users.

-Sal

I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 29, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Also, eliminating feedback older than 12 months isn't fair to long term eBay users.

That really sucks...I was pretty hard core into Ebay from 02-05, but now I usually only buy/bid on a few things a year.  Oh well, back to being a n00b.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2008, 04:36 PM »
I rarely use Ebay because it's mostly a scam where you get raped on shipping but I agree with you on all accounts Sal, as far as the feedback goes.  What's the positive in eliminating seller's rights to leave negative feedback on buyers?  And what's the point of elmininating old feedback?

Like I said, I rarely use it, so I'm sure a lot of my feedback is going to be erased.  I'll go 6 months without using my account...  So if I lose my feedback I'm just going to basically stop using the service I think.  Not worth it at this point.

They NEED to buckle down on shipping rapers before they do this other crap...  I was looking at an auction last night I wanted and the guy wanted $20 something for shipping on a box I know cannot way more than 6 lbs., and we're both in the US.  He said that's the actual cost...  Horse ****.

Ebay's a scam at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2008, 04:41 PM »
Overcharges on shipping is one of my major complaints. It's kept me from bidding on MANY an auction.

Problem is there is almost always some nut out there who will eat the shipping cost to get the item.

I know I can get a CASE of figures (carded and mint) shipped to me for $7. So why just one LOOSE figure for $5 shipping from some sellers? Oh, some try and sweeten the deal by combining shipping so you don't feel the sting of the first one so much, if you're bidding on multiple items. But what happens if you only end up winning ONE of those auctions. You sure as hell feel the sting then.

IIRC,  there is a distinct policy against overcharging for shipping. I think buyers can report that to eBay. Also, IIRC, eBay doesn't make money on the shipping fees, so it's in their best interest as well to go after sellers who maintain that practice of overcharging for shipping.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2008, 04:59 PM »

And what's the point of elmininating old feedback?

Like I said, I rarely use it, so I'm sure a lot of my feedback is going to be erased. 

Actually, it says:

"Feedback more than 12-months old won't count towards your Feedback percentage"

It is just the "feedback percent" that is changing.  Your overall feedback score shouldn't change. 

From the eBay FAQ on the changes:

Will the change to the Feedback percentage, basing it on 12 months, also impact my Feedback score?

The Feedback score (count of all Feedback earned) will continue to be based on all Feedback earned by the member since registration, except those withdrawn, de-scored or removed.

This is just a way for mega-sellers to get their "100%" ratings back, even if they get dinged with the occasional bad feedback...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2008, 05:24 PM »
"Feedback more than 12-months old won't count towards your Feedback percentage"

Ah, ok, I didn't read the article and just went off what Sal had mentioned...  That's not so bad.  I have a single bad feedback from a guy I had trouble with when I started out on Ebay, and it's lingered forever since then.  So this isn't actually that bad for me... 

Still don't use the service much because of the sneaky ways sellers try to screw you over, but not losing my feedback is a good thing, as I'm definitely out of that racket if I don't have feedback for myself.  I go 6 months at a time minimum between purchases there usually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2008, 05:44 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up Jeff.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2008, 06:15 PM »
The Feedback ratings have had so many problems for so long they don't really concern me at this point.  I'm just really angry over the final value fees.  The fact that eBay also owns PayPal burns me even more.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2008, 06:44 PM »

I know I can get a CASE of figures (carded and mint) shipped to me for $7. So why just one LOOSE figure for $5 shipping from some sellers? Oh, some try and sweeten the deal by combining shipping so you don't feel the sting of the first one so much, if you're bidding on multiple items. But what happens if you only end up winning ONE of those auctions. You sure as hell feel the sting then.

I think the big problem with this is that the online sellers use UPS and 99% of ebayers use USPS.  The US Postage rates have gone up a lot through the last couple of years.  It really can cost about $6-8 to ship a box with a carded figure once you get delivery confirmation, etc.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 30, 2008, 07:30 AM »
$5 for shipping one figure is about the going rate, if the shipper uses priority mail.  The minimum priority mail is about $4.55 and delivery confirmation is $0.70 for a total of $5.25.  Also, etailers might get bulk rates, but I know NewForce ships cases via UPS for around $8 to $10.  Usually, their cost plus shipping is the same price as the just the cost for most other etailers.

The one thing that surprises me about ebay not cracking down on shipping is that there are so many auctions now that hurt ebay.  I see a lot of $1 Buy it Now auctions with $100 shipping.  Ebay only makes money on the listing and a percentage of the $1 instead of percentage on the $100.  I would think they would crack down on stuff like that at least.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 30, 2008, 08:47 AM »
I'm pretty much done with Ebay. I just received 2 netural feedbacks saying I was slow in paying (I paid 2 days after the auction ended) and the guy gouged me big time on shipping. $10 bucks for two X-Box games. Which I'm sure he'll send first class mail. ::) I'm tired of dealing with tools like that.
I remember my dream now.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2008, 08:58 AM »
just a question. what is soo bad about first class mailing? i want to buy one of the EE mando packs online and the cheapest is first class at $10. good or bad thing?  i have never bought anything on ebay before..
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D: