Community > Watto's Junk Yard

Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...

<< < (124/172) > >>

JediJman:
Thanks Greg.  My take on offers is that its ideally helping out both seller and buyer.  If you intend to sell an item for $100, you're going to have to pay eBay and paypal fees of at least $5-6.  And after being up a whole week, you have no bids, so chances of selling at that price are greatly reduced.  Then someone comes along promising to buy direct for $90.  The buyer clearly saves $10 vs. the initial price,  but the seller is only getting $4 less than he intended with no fees and no Ebay siding with seller complaints. I typically get buyers to see the light, but amazes me how many people don't get it.

Greg:

--- Quote from: JediJman on February 15, 2014, 09:53 PM ---Thanks Greg.  My take on offers is that its ideally helping out both seller and buyer.  If you intend to sell an item for $100, you're going to have to pay eBay and paypal fees of at least $5-6.  And after being up a whole week, you have no bids, so chances of selling at that price are greatly reduced.  Then someone comes along promising to buy direct for $90.  The buyer clearly saves $10 vs. the initial price,  but the seller is only getting $4 less than he intended with no fees and no Ebay siding with seller complaints. I typically get buyers to see the light, but amazes me how many people don't get it.

--- End quote ---

Ah, I see where you're coming from. Honestly I skimmed your earlier post (:-[) so I missed that buying direct part. You're 100% right though, making the deal outside of eBay does save fees and should reduce the price. I actually don't think I have gotten any offers for making a deal outside eBay, just offers to lower my price on eBay.

Personally I don't think I would do any off-eBay deals, since I don't know if eBay checks messages and regulates stuff like that (I know they have an annoying disclaimer on all messages). I've been working on getting a small toy business right now, so I wouldn't want to screw things up by getting my eBay account banned or something. I play things overly cautious though, that's just who I am.

McMetal:
Yes, they frown upon outside deals for obvious reasons ($) but I'm not sure how aggressive they are in pursuing violations, scanning emails and so forth. Nothing would surprise me though.

I'm pretty much the same as Greg, typically I am not interested in doing side-deals as I put I lot of time and thought into my pricing up front and don't have a lot of wiggle room with my margins. Most of the offers I seem to get are pretty far below whatever savings I would recoup in fees too. But I have done it on occasion  and am certainly not averse to people asking.

Jesse James:
Actually you can get turned in by people you make offers to if you piss them off enough over it.  I've noticed the requests from them to turn people in for contacting you about selling off-site, so it's a reason I tend not to do it.

I don't care for Ebay but it's a necessary evil to me at times.

JediJman:
Can we change the title of this thread to Everything eBay is a Scam?  I received an invoice from them for 9 auctions I held in January.  My amount due?  $82!!!  Are you kidding me?  Since when do they take 10% off both the final value and the shipping charge?  That means an auction ending for $85 + $15 shipping costs me $10 in Ebay fees plus $5 in paypal fees.  I would be better off marking the price down to $70(!) and selling local.  Incredible.  Great place to buy, ridiculous place to sell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version