Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191862 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #630 on: March 7, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Really a USPS question, but I did buy off ebay. Anyone ever have a package marked as "delivered" in tracking but not get it? Anything I can do about it?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 7, 2014, 03:22 PM »
You might want to check with your neighbors for the package.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 7, 2014, 03:36 PM »
You might want to check with your neighbors for the package.

I will. I kind of assumed they'd have thrown it at my front door if that were the case.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #633 on: March 7, 2014, 04:24 PM »
If its marked delivered the USPS employee has scanned the DC barcode n left it somewhere...  Check anywhere they might've left it besides the front porch...  It could've been stolen...  If you can't find it call into your office for the post master and they can at least ask the carrier who scanned it where he put it.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #634 on: March 7, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Really a USPS question, but I did buy off ebay. Anyone ever have a package marked as "delivered" in tracking but not get it? Anything I can do about it?

I have and the post office and ebay both said, sucks for you, it says delivered. On the bright side, the package showed up a month later.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 7, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Yeah if it gets delivered to the wrong address it will still show as delivered.  What you need to do is request a POD (proof of Delivery), if a signature was required, and it wasn't you that signed for it, you can say so.  Otherwise,  it goes back to the driver's word on what happened.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 7, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Auction houses typically charge anywhere from 10% to 25%

Seriously, I know eBay isn't Christie's, but it's not that terrible.

I guess I just don't sell as much on Ebay these days.  I remember when it was a few cents to list, then relatively low percentage basis on the final sale.  I would be okay with the final value fee on shipping if I wasn't already paying fees for Paypal.  If you're only going to get $70 for an $85 item, and then have to collect payment, communicate with sellers, pack & mail it...just not worth it now with these crazy fees IMO. 

Sure, an auction house charges more, but they're dealing with an incredibly small amount of volume versus a company like Ebay.  They can't spread their fixed costs as easily, and have to pay staff to accept, inspect, handle, price, sell, and ship the items.  Ebay has advertising and service center costs, but that's an infinitely small admin cost versus what they're taking in. 

Anyway, to each their own.  If they're going to charge that much per item, then IMO either the seller or the buyer is getting screwed with every transaction.  I'll buy from them if the price is right, but there's little chance I'll resort to selling there again anytime in the near future.  I'll stick to craigslist or forums and either net more per item or at least pass the savings on to buyers instead of Ebay. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 7, 2014, 07:56 PM »

I have and the post office and ebay both said, sucks for you, it says delivered. On the bright side, the package showed up a month later.

This is what I expect to happen. The sucks for you part that is. Tracking thing sort of sucks then. I had called the post office and they said they would talk to the mail man and see if he remembered but that he didn't have a phone to call so it would be when he got back. So I saw a mail man coming today but it wasn't the normal guy and he said he didn't deliver to my neighborhood yesterday so I am going to call again and see if the first person I talked to has talked to the guy from Thursday. Not sure what I just typed. Anyway I don't have high hopes, but we will see. At least it was only a grand total of $13 and not Star Wars.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #638 on: March 8, 2014, 02:35 PM »
I spoke to the mail man, the post office, the main office. It was pretty much just a waste of time. Hit up your neighbor and if not just wait it out. Sorry  :-\
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 8, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Lady at the post office says the carrier on that day said "he did not leave a package at my house, but remembers leaving one at a similar address number possibly with the numbers jumbled". So "it probably will show up". It didn't today. So I will let next week go by and if it doesn't I will probably call again and ask if they can do anything. Doubt they will even with him saying he didn't leave it for me. Not sure it should take more than a couple days if the wrong person put it back out for the mail man to grab, but I am impatient sometimes so hopefully it will come.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 9, 2014, 02:57 PM »
I guess I just don't sell as much on Ebay these days.  I remember when it was a few cents to list, then relatively low percentage basis on the final sale.

Now its free to list your items!  Unfortunately now they hit you when the sale completes.

I agree that ebay has become a lot harder for the casual seller.  I used to feel okay about buying cases of figures to get what I wanted and then ebay the rest.  These days its no where near the trouble to do that because of all the fees, the hassle, etc.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 9, 2014, 11:25 PM »
Package at the door when I came home today. All's well that ends well.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 10, 2014, 12:20 AM »
Like.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #643 on: March 10, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Glad that worked out...  GENERALLY people are honest I think, and they return a box that isn't theirs...  It's so easy to transpose numbers but it's slightly less excusable on packages since, and that's even more so true right now since deliveries are slow for the USPS after Valentine's, but crap happens.

I had my carrier trying to get me to get my brother's wife, who lives out the road from me with her mother right now, to return a package she delivered to them on accident...  Apparently calling her wasn't getting her to return it to the local PO or even leave it out for her to pick up.

I guess that means it's somehow up to me to track down my brother's soon-to-be-ex for her to get the package back to deliver it to the right person.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 11, 2014, 01:00 AM »
Isn't opening someone's mail a federal offense?