Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 31998 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #630 on: May 16, 2014, 08:49 AM »
I read through the details last week when I got the email and found it confusing.

I think we actually get a handful of free BIN listings per month in select categories that include toys (50?).  Other categories seem to have less restrictive free BIN listings. 

There are also a number of free auction style listings provided (150?), but I don't think this was restricted by category.

Although this might all depend on your sales volumes, or ratings or something.

The way I basically read these changes and other changes they've made over the past several years is that they're focusing their offering around "eBay marketplace" vendors, where you need to have a certain sales volume or pay a monthly/yearly fee.  Basically the days of random people like us selling stuff on eBay being a big part of their business have gone.

Yeah, I think you're right about them squeezing out the little guys. I guess I can keep my free BIN listings for toys if I open up an eBay store (cha-ching) - no thanks.

And yeah, I still get plenty of free auction style listings, but that's not going to do much to improve my sales. The kind of stuff I sell is not usually the kind of stuff people would start bidding wars over.

I'm considering just listing the stuff under a different category and see what happens. I rarely search by category anyway, personally.
Slice you open like a tauntaun, faster than the Autobahn,
Or a motorbike in Tron, do the deed and then I'm gone.

Online BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #631 on: May 16, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Sounds like maybe it'll prevent idiot sellers from incessantly relisting toys with ridiculous BINs.  Can't complain about that!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Knight
  • I am now using steroids to enhance my posts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 16, 2014, 09:26 AM »
Sounds like maybe it'll prevent idiot sellers from incessantly relisting toys with ridiculous BINs.  Can't complain about that!

That is a good point. One of my biggest pet peeves about ebay is the sellers who spend no research time on what their stuff is worth (same item selling for).
"A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about, how many people can make you feel rare?"

Offline Master_Phruby

• Jedi Master
  • It's for display only!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 16, 2014, 10:48 AM »
What I can't stand about ebay is how all of the star wars stuff is double to triple what it is actually worth. It's hard to find a good deal with all of the huge prices.

However video games for the DS/3DS and original xbox and 360 games are a steal. I've been watching an auction where they will give you a random set of fifty xbox360/ps2 games for $40.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 16, 2014, 10:53 AM »
I agree that is annoying, but I think that's more bigger sellers who are probably going to be exempt from these rules. The people that actually spend the time and effort to list reasonably prices stuff are the ones who are getting pinched.

And honestly, the ridiculous BIN auctions are not as annoying to me as the people who write to me asking me to sell stuff below my asking price when it is not a Best Offer auction. Don't waste my time.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Everyone is ignorant, but on different subjects.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27 PM »
And honestly, the ridiculous BIN auctions are not as annoying to me as the people who write to me asking me to sell stuff below my asking price when it is not a Best Offer auction. Don't waste my time.

Really?  Not to poke fun, but I would love to have the annoyance of people offering me money on a regular basis!  Isn't this is a win-win scenario?  If your item is not selling for the price listed, you have someone making an alternative offer that might still be agreeable to you...especially if you're able to subtract out the added Ebay and Paypal fees you endure from a completed auction.  Heck, in some cases you might take home more than a completed auction sale.  I would love to get offers like that on my Ebay sales, provided their not all outrageous low-ball offers and even then it just takes a few seconds to read and delete. 
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. " -Jack Handey

Offline Dave

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 16, 2014, 02:47 PM »

Really?  Not to poke fun, but I would love to have the annoyance of people offering me money on a regular basis!  Isn't this is a win-win scenario?  If your item is not selling for the price listed, you have someone making an alternative offer that might still be agreeable to you...especially if you're able to subtract out the added Ebay and Paypal fees you endure from a completed auction.  Heck, in some cases you might take home more than a completed auction sale.  I would love to get offers like that on my Ebay sales, provided their not all outrageous low-ball offers and even then it just takes a few seconds to read and delete.

Agreed.  Probably half of my auctions are completed outside of eBay because I get an acceptable offer and it allows me to avoid the ridiculous eBay fees and only pay the PayPal fees.

I just ignore or politely refuse any unreasonably low offers.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 16, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Hmm, no these are not folks who are offering to buy stuff outside of eBay, (that is a big No-No in their eyes anyway) they're just people who basically just want me to drop the price on an item I already have listed. So all the eBay and Paypal fees would still come into play, unfortunately.

And these are not auctions that are overpriced to begin with, honestly. I always price stuff to sell. But I also know my margins and the lowest I can afford to go. I have no problem listing stuff for weeks over weeks, I don't expect stuff to sell right away. But I've never had anything linger more than a few months either.

And yeah, I am very appreciative of any interest in my listings. I just find the occasional lowballing more of an annoyance personally than the sellers who have outrageous BINs. Those I can easily ignore.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15 PM »
UGH - so I picked up the Jek-14 Mini Stealth Starfighter on an eBay auction that claimed the set was New/Unused/Unopened.

Well - it arrived today and imagine my shock to find the two clear tape circular seals that hold the top of the box onto the bottom were both cut.

Opened up the box to find the mini-figure fully assembled INSIDE the bag and then found that the bag was one of those resealable type bags.

Does anyone else have this set? Is that how the bag was? Did the mini-figure come pre-assembled - most Lego sets have the head, torso, legs, hair/helmet all as separate pieces.

Not to mention the fact that Jek-14's hair-piece is missing. I'm not OVERLY concerned about that since I can always request another one from Lego Customer Service to replace it.

My complaint is that it truly wasn't a new/unopened set with those tape seals cut.

Am I being unreasonable?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 21, 2014, 11:15 AM »
I just did so and was going to post this.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 21, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Crap, I've had the same password for over 15 years. Gonna miss that.

Offline Master_Phruby

• Jedi Master
  • It's for display only!
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 21, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Took them three months to admit it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #643 on: May 29, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Opened my first claim against a seller today...  Very cordial and cool about refunding me a little money.

I'd bought something that said it was unopened, but it was clearly opened at some point.  Since it is something relatively fragile I was reluctant then to just accept it as-is, and asked for just the shipping returned to me which the seller happily did for me.  Very cool and appreciated.

It wasn't much $ being talked about, just $5-ish, but it made the difference to me, and I walked away quite happy and impressed at how nice the seller was about it all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Strange eBay issue for me today. I sold some stuff last week and shipped it all out using the paypal linked eBay shipping option. Usually works great and does all the tracking communication for me. The strange part, this package was clearly intended to ship to Arizona. It's spent the last 24 hours rolling through Boston and New Hamphsire (note, I shipped from Illinios). Why is this package in the North East???  All the rest of my packages (including another one to Arizona) arrived today.  Strange. Sure hope it arrives.