Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191861 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #465 on: September 30, 2009, 02:59 AM »
Merging the topic as it's related to this thread.

Photo's will mean **** on the bay & even watermarked.

Here's something of interest for those of you that sell on the bay, I saw this post at RS & credit goes to Chris G. for the post & Ron S. for finding this posted on a blog.  :)

Note: This is showing up on the US eBay site & nothing for other countries thus far but keep an eye out.

Warning: eBay will be using photos without creators' permission.

A few posts back.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:58 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 21, 2009, 05:14 PM »
Anyone else having problems searching for items on ebay today?  Can't get any of my searches to go through...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 21, 2009, 06:05 PM »
Anyone else having problems searching for items on ebay today?  Can't get any of my searches to go through...

From eBay system announcements:

***Issues with Search results and eBay Stores*** 

November 21, 2009 | 02:59PM PST/PT

Due to errors in some of our backend systems, members may be seeing different errors in Search. This could be that "We were unable to run the search results you entered. Please try again in a few minutes" or a blank page, or simply the browser being unable to display the page.
As a workaround - if you use the Advanced Search option at the top of the page, and type in your search query and click the title and description box and then run the search, the results for the title and description search will be returned. Likewise, if you receive a 0 results page for title search and choose the title and description box and re-run the search, you'll see the appropriate results.

This is also affecting the ability to access eBay Stores through search directly, and sometimes from the store URL.

Please note that we are working as quickly as possible to get this resolved. Thank you for your patience as we continue to work to resolve this.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 21, 2009, 07:44 PM »
2012, man.  The beginning of the end....
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 7, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Okay, so I have a question for those familiar with Ebay.  I recently bid on an item with a starting bid of $50.  I held the only bid for the entire week, then saw someone outbid me with 3-4 hours to go.   I was hoping to get it for about $75 or less, so with a few minutes remaining, I started bidding in $5-10 increments.  I got it all the way up to $85 (thrill of the bid), but stopped there as the person who outbid me was sitting at $86.

Fast forward to today - I received a second chance offering on the item for $85 BIN.  The seller says he has two, which I was very surprised by as this is a unique custom figure.  So my question is, is there any way to determine whether the first bidder really did buy the original listing?  Seems like an effective way to save on Ebay costs would be to shill bid on your own auction, effectivvely putting up a "reserve price" bid.  You've effectively bought your own item, but can offer a second chance price to the last highest bid.  Then you can just go back and submit a non-payment for the bid you placed on yourself. 

Am I just being paranoid here?  Curious to know what others think and if you've run into anything similar.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 7, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Just merged your post to keep evrything together.  ;)

Well with the way eBay now hids the bidders name, very hard to tell if it's a shill bidder but red flags can be raised. Buyers tend to tag an auction to come back to it later, could be a minimum bid or a proxy. Some put them on the watch list & with a few hrs or minutes to go, the bids go up & sometiimes crazy.

With the way Ebay hides the bidders, shill bidding can take place. Place a proxy to have the other come back in or bid up the sellers bid only to become the high bidder in hopes of buyer coming back in to bid more. This can be done with a 2nd acct or having a friend to do the shill.

Now with that seller offering a 2nd & with what you mentioned, it raises the red flag & IMHO I would stay away. He could have been the bidder & wants to recoupe his fees. I would just ignore him & watch to see it the seller relists in down the road, that should tell ya something.  ;)

If it was a grail piece, it might be different but unless it's life & death... ya know.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 7, 2010, 03:00 PM »
So, I did a little checking and found that the other auction this guy was selling went down the same way.  Some other guy was trying to win the bid, but D**r(126) placed a max bid that he couldn't get past (exact same guy that won my auction for a totally unrelated item).   >:(
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 7, 2010, 03:58 PM »
Sounds like a shill to me. As a rule, I never accept a second chance offer. I once did on a guy and never received it. It seemed he offered it as second chance even though the original winner sent money in for the auction. The guy ended up not having the item at all much less two of them. We complained and he was banned from ebay. We got our money back thru paypal.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 14, 2010, 02:33 PM »
Hey anyone an experienced seller on eBay want to help me out a bit?  I've bought a few things on eBay, but never sold.  I set up an auction for a LEGO kit that sells for more than its worth to me.  I had initially set it up for flat rate shipping in the US, it'll fit in one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes from USPS.  I've had a couple international buyers (Singapore, Hungary, Netherlands) ask me if I'd ship there, and I find an option for a flat rate shipper box also through the USPS, but I can't figure out how to change my listing to include that option for foreign buyers.  Do I need to change my listing or else how would I get the appropriate shipping applied for a foreign destination?

Can anyone help me out?
I am not the Stig

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #474 on: April 14, 2010, 04:11 PM »
If you have bids you can't change your auction.  I find it more of a hassle to sell to international buyers than it's worth.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 14, 2010, 04:31 PM »
So basically I'd either have to decline international sellers, eat the difference on shipping, or try to get them to send me the difference on shipping?  I guess I can't change the shipping amount when I invoice them, huh?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:31 PM by Keonobi »
I am not the Stig

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 14, 2010, 04:41 PM »
What I hate is when you say no international shipping and some international dumbass wins the auction at the last minute. Now I've lost my bidder and have to deal with a guy that I didn't want to in the first place. It's like they can bid anyway even if you set it for domestic only.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 14, 2010, 05:26 PM »
If its too late to change the auction listing, just figure out what the price would be to ship to the potential bidder's country and send him/her a quote.  When the auction completes just have them overpay you via PayPal the correct amount to make up the difference in shipping.  I've done this a bunch of times.  Just make it clear with the potential bidder how the transaction will be completed.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 14, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Thanks Dave, and everyone else for your advice.  I've developed a newfound sense of unease with dealing with international buyers, but I think I've nicely painted myself into a corner where I'll have to deal with one if they win the auction.  That and hope that a domestic bidder wins  ;).
I am not the Stig

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #479 on: April 14, 2010, 06:06 PM »
The other problem with International is your shipping choices are limited to trackable methods, which generally run $30 or more.  Otherwise you're sending it hoping the winner doesn't turn around and claim they never got it, getting all their money back from PayPal.  You have no protection unless you send it Global Express or one other method I can't remember.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj