Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 31419 times)

Online Dave

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #480 on: April 14, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Yeah, all of my "commodity" auctions for things like POTF2 Yoda figures are only domestic.  If I've got something somewhat rare I often list it internationally if I feel it can get significantly more for it elsewhere.  And I pad my international shipping quotes to only send via trackable methods to deal with the potential headaches.

Offline Master_Phruby

• Jedi Master
  • It's for display only!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 11, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I'm currently dealing with a seller that been kind of strange. First, he offered free shipping but sent the item in an usps flat rate envelope. The problem is the item is a large box so he cut the envelope up and made his own box out of it. The post office was not happy and I had to pay for postage. The seller says he does that all the time and they've never complained. He is suppose to be refunding my money.

Secondly, the item was advertised as "Brand New" however the box arrived ripped at the corners and the seals were broken. He taped the front of the box shut. All of the cables were unraveled and there was dust on the item. There were no instructions. The seller says he showed me a picture of the opened box and said it was never used and therefore "Brand New". This wasn't the same box since it wasn't ripped at the corners.

He said he would leave feedback if I did for him. My question is if I give him negative feedback, can he give me negative feedback in retailation? Does it effect my rating? I have pictures of the box and its condition. Can I complain to ebay about this guy selling used as new?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #482 on: May 11, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Sellers can't neg buyers anymore.  I'd ask for a full refund including shipping and return it.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 11, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Sellers aren't able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers.

can sellers leave negative feedback ebay

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #484 on: May 11, 2010, 12:11 PM »
RIght, he can't give you negative feedback or anything, but you've got more options than that.  If you paid with Paypal I think you can file a claim under the "item significantly not as described" option.

Or before going that route you can tell him that you're considering filing a claim and leaving negative feedback and see if that gets him to budge and give you a refund or a partial refund or whatever.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 11, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Or if you paid with a credit card via Paypal, you can call your credit card company & request a chargeback & **** Paypal.  ;)

Offline Master_Phruby

• Jedi Master
  • It's for display only!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 11, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I've actually done that in the past with the credit card company. When they argue with you, I just tell them to close the account. That gets them to do whatever you want. Then the charge back shows up on his paypal account and paypal shuts him down.

Well the device is working correctly and I got it for half off retail so it really doesn't matter the condition of the box. I just want my shipping back which he said he would give me but hasn't yet. Negative feedback is coming his way as soon as that money appears.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #487 on: October 14, 2012, 08:56 PM »
So I tried to sell an old Laptop that I don't use anymore on eBay this week.  I guess I aimed too high with the price, because despite lots of watchers, I didn't get any bids. 

So I go to re-list it and I get this message:

You can not submit your listing due to the following problems

You're almost done with your listing. There's just one more thing to do. It looks like you don't have a reimbursement payment method on file with us. Sellers must have a reimbursement payment method on file under our Buyer Protection Policy.

In order to complete your listing, please add your reimbursement payment method now . Once you're done, you'll be able to review and submit your listing.

Note: You can always change your selected reimbursement payment method in My eBay or cancel your reimbursement payment method by contacting us. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers.

Anyone else dealt with that?  At a glance, I'm really not okay with this.  Every unpleasant eBay interaction I've ever had has been because a buyer tried to lie about what I'd sold them.  I had a lady tell me that the camera I mailed her didn't work, I had a guy tell me a T-shirt I sold was stained... stuff that I flat out know is bogus.

This policy seems like a way to totally screw sellers based on the word of a buyer, and I'm thinking the computer just goes onto Craig's List instead.  I Googled this policy and it sounds like it's been around for a year or so at least... so I'm also wondering why I was able to list the Laptop (and the other item I did sell last week) but am getting this triggered now when I'm trying to sell it at a lower price.

Lastly, that other item I sold... I noticed now that eBay is charging a commission on your shipping price.

What in the hell is that?  Why on earth does eBay feel entitled to take money on the cost of shipping?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:57 PM by Rob »

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14 AM »
I'd guess because many sellers prop up low prices with exorbitant shipping fees.  Smart shoppers look at the total cost, but I am sure there are plenty that don't (the crowd that calls a $4.98 item a $4 item).

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 15, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Yeah, the shipping surcharge has been around awhile and was an effort to stop people from selling stuff for 99 cents with a $35 shipping charge and so on.

I don't charge for shipping anymore because I got annoyed when people asked me to combine shipping charges for multiple items won. They get very pushy in this regard so I just build the shipping costs into ther price of the item.

I have not gotten the re-imburse message before, but I may have set this up previously and just forgot. I clearly state in all my auctions that I do not accept returns, but that doesn't stop me from getting screwed under that ridiculous buyer protection policy.
Slice you open like a tauntaun, faster than the Autobahn,
Or a motorbike in Tron, do the deed and then I'm gone.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 15, 2012, 11:53 AM »
I think everything wrong with Ebay is related to them wanting to be seen as a real retailer and not an online auction site that everyday people can list stuff on, i.e., what made them rich.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 15, 2012, 12:10 PM »
I got a 10 year anniversary message/email from eBay a few weeks ago. 

I feel old.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #492 on: October 15, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Whatever they're thinking, I'm about done with that website.  I can't remember the last time I bought something there but I still go occasionally to sell,  but I sold an item for $45 last week and ended up paying damn near $10 in fees after eBay and Paypal (yeah, I know, same company) got done taking their chunks.

They've really gone too far to make it worth my time and effort, especially when I can sell on Craig's List for free without having to box anything up.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #493 on: October 15, 2012, 11:24 PM »
Second that.  They've basically killed it for sellers, and I don't even sell really.  It's enough for me to not look at it much anymore.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 30, 2012, 03:31 PM »
I sold a CD where the disc look new, unscratched.

Buyer gets it, says it won't play right. I can only assume they are being truthful, even if they aren't...ebay would take their side.

Lesson here is, listen to everything I sell...which is hard, especially when I get music I dislike (sometimes I get lots of CDs for cheap at yard sales). Or never sell CD's on ebay. I'm leaning towards never sell. All the hassle to make sometimes as little as a dollar, then LOSE money because someone wants a full refund.