Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191841 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #510 on: October 14, 2012, 08:56 PM »
So I tried to sell an old Laptop that I don't use anymore on eBay this week.  I guess I aimed too high with the price, because despite lots of watchers, I didn't get any bids. 

So I go to re-list it and I get this message:

You can not submit your listing due to the following problems

You're almost done with your listing. There's just one more thing to do. It looks like you don't have a reimbursement payment method on file with us. Sellers must have a reimbursement payment method on file under our Buyer Protection Policy.

In order to complete your listing, please add your reimbursement payment method now . Once you're done, you'll be able to review and submit your listing.

Note: You can always change your selected reimbursement payment method in My eBay or cancel your reimbursement payment method by contacting us. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers.

Anyone else dealt with that?  At a glance, I'm really not okay with this.  Every unpleasant eBay interaction I've ever had has been because a buyer tried to lie about what I'd sold them.  I had a lady tell me that the camera I mailed her didn't work, I had a guy tell me a T-shirt I sold was stained... stuff that I flat out know is bogus.

This policy seems like a way to totally screw sellers based on the word of a buyer, and I'm thinking the computer just goes onto Craig's List instead.  I Googled this policy and it sounds like it's been around for a year or so at least... so I'm also wondering why I was able to list the Laptop (and the other item I did sell last week) but am getting this triggered now when I'm trying to sell it at a lower price.

Lastly, that other item I sold... I noticed now that eBay is charging a commission on your shipping price.

What in the hell is that?  Why on earth does eBay feel entitled to take money on the cost of shipping?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:57 PM by Rob »

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14 AM »
I'd guess because many sellers prop up low prices with exorbitant shipping fees.  Smart shoppers look at the total cost, but I am sure there are plenty that don't (the crowd that calls a $4.98 item a $4 item).

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 15, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Yeah, the shipping surcharge has been around awhile and was an effort to stop people from selling stuff for 99 cents with a $35 shipping charge and so on.

I don't charge for shipping anymore because I got annoyed when people asked me to combine shipping charges for multiple items won. They get very pushy in this regard so I just build the shipping costs into ther price of the item.

I have not gotten the re-imburse message before, but I may have set this up previously and just forgot. I clearly state in all my auctions that I do not accept returns, but that doesn't stop me from getting screwed under that ridiculous buyer protection policy.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 15, 2012, 11:53 AM »
I think everything wrong with Ebay is related to them wanting to be seen as a real retailer and not an online auction site that everyday people can list stuff on, i.e., what made them rich.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 15, 2012, 12:10 PM »
I got a 10 year anniversary message/email from eBay a few weeks ago. 

I feel old.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 15, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Whatever they're thinking, I'm about done with that website.  I can't remember the last time I bought something there but I still go occasionally to sell,  but I sold an item for $45 last week and ended up paying damn near $10 in fees after eBay and Paypal (yeah, I know, same company) got done taking their chunks.

They've really gone too far to make it worth my time and effort, especially when I can sell on Craig's List for free without having to box anything up.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #516 on: October 15, 2012, 11:24 PM »
Second that.  They've basically killed it for sellers, and I don't even sell really.  It's enough for me to not look at it much anymore.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 30, 2012, 03:31 PM »
I sold a CD where the disc look new, unscratched.

Buyer gets it, says it won't play right. I can only assume they are being truthful, even if they aren't...ebay would take their side.

Lesson here is, listen to everything I sell...which is hard, especially when I get music I dislike (sometimes I get lots of CDs for cheap at yard sales). Or never sell CD's on ebay. I'm leaning towards never sell. All the hassle to make sometimes as little as a dollar, then LOSE money because someone wants a full refund.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39 PM »
I used to sell a lot of CD's on eBay, and I agree the profit margin is generally not worth the effort. I will still do it from time to time, but in general there's not much of a heated market for recorded music anymore it seems like. Yet weirdly, it's pretty much the only place you can find actually music anymore though, it's amazing how quickly record stores went the way of the dinosaur.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 19, 2013, 10:26 PM »
So, I sold an item on eBay.  It was a running shoe... a single shoe, not a pair.  Collectors are into this apparently.  Auction clearly stated "right shoe only" and contained high-res photos of the single shoe.  The auction also stated clearly that I don't do returns or exchanges.  So, someone buy's it now and I shipped it out last week.

Today I get this email:

"I do not want this item don't like and will return today. Received today 8/19/2013."

I respond:

Hello,

I'm sorry that you do not like the shoe, but my auction clearly states no returns or exchanges. I'm not a shoe store, I was selling a collectible sample shoe and every detail about that shoe was clearly and honestly stated in the auction.

Please do not mail it back.

Thank you,
-Rob

I'm assuming this guy/gal isn't going to be happy about this and it might very well lead to negative feedback, even though I don't think I did anything at all to deserve it. 

Two questions...

1 - Is there any way to fight feedback on eBay these days?
2 - What happens if this clown mails me back the shoe?  I'm not giving them a refund, and I'm not spending another $8 to mail it back to him. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 19, 2013, 11:36 PM »
First off, I'm shocked there is a market for single running shoes.  What the hell would you do with it?  Display someone else's shoe?  Seriously, I'm never taking **** for collecting Star Wars ever again.

Secondly, I think the worst the guy can do is give you negative feedback.  When he does, you get a chance to respond to it and it shows up when ppl search it.  If you just have one mark, I wouldn't worry much about it.  He has no right to demand a refund if you specifically stated you don't accept them and described the item accurately.

Lastly, if you are concerned about a negative, then you could offer to accept the item back, but the guy has to cover your initial shipping cost and the cost to return it.  He probably wouldn't be interested in paying shipping twice and getting nothing for it, but this would be a way to show some kind of offer back to him.  That might be enough to avoid the dreaded negative.

Good luck.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 20, 2013, 05:53 AM »
Hmmm. That's a tough one. On one hand you seem to have clearly stated what the auction was, but on the other hand it's bad to have a dissatisfied customer. It depends how much money we're talking here. Can we see the auction?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58 AM »
Yeah apparently there are shoe collectors out there. Apparently they release new versions of shoes each year like cars, and people obsess with collecting them like we do with each rereleased Darth Vader figure.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24 AM »
It's hard for me to see how eBay could side with the buyer if they do end up opening a case. The item description was clear and obvious, you had pictures, and it clearly stated "No refunds".

"I do not want this item don't like" is not likely to be considered a compelling reason to rule in his favor.

He can't really complain that the item is "signifcantly not as described" either which is the usual ploy. They will be able to review the communication history and determine this was just buyer remorse.

The only wrinkle would be if he does send it back to you. Not sure if/how that impact the ruling. They might actually ask you to re-ship it, but I don't see how they could force you.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 20, 2013, 09:56 AM »
I can see a market for one shoe. My son wears a leg brace and we always have to buy him two pairs of shoes since one foot is bigger than the other one. Some shoe stores give a discount for this situation.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours