Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 36163 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #495 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39 PM »
I used to sell a lot of CD's on eBay, and I agree the profit margin is generally not worth the effort. I will still do it from time to time, but in general there's not much of a heated market for recorded music anymore it seems like. Yet weirdly, it's pretty much the only place you can find actually music anymore though, it's amazing how quickly record stores went the way of the dinosaur.
Slice you open like a tauntaun, faster than the Autobahn,
Or a motorbike in Tron, do the deed and then I'm gone.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #496 on: August 19, 2013, 10:26 PM »
So, I sold an item on eBay.  It was a running shoe... a single shoe, not a pair.  Collectors are into this apparently.  Auction clearly stated "right shoe only" and contained high-res photos of the single shoe.  The auction also stated clearly that I don't do returns or exchanges.  So, someone buy's it now and I shipped it out last week.

Today I get this email:

"I do not want this item don't like and will return today. Received today 8/19/2013."

I respond:

Hello,

I'm sorry that you do not like the shoe, but my auction clearly states no returns or exchanges. I'm not a shoe store, I was selling a collectible sample shoe and every detail about that shoe was clearly and honestly stated in the auction.

Please do not mail it back.

Thank you,
-Rob

I'm assuming this guy/gal isn't going to be happy about this and it might very well lead to negative feedback, even though I don't think I did anything at all to deserve it. 

Two questions...

1 - Is there any way to fight feedback on eBay these days?
2 - What happens if this clown mails me back the shoe?  I'm not giving them a refund, and I'm not spending another $8 to mail it back to him. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I'm a dude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 19, 2013, 11:36 PM »
First off, I'm shocked there is a market for single running shoes.  What the hell would you do with it?  Display someone else's shoe?  Seriously, I'm never taking **** for collecting Star Wars ever again.

Secondly, I think the worst the guy can do is give you negative feedback.  When he does, you get a chance to respond to it and it shows up when ppl search it.  If you just have one mark, I wouldn't worry much about it.  He has no right to demand a refund if you specifically stated you don't accept them and described the item accurately.

Lastly, if you are concerned about a negative, then you could offer to accept the item back, but the guy has to cover your initial shipping cost and the cost to return it.  He probably wouldn't be interested in paying shipping twice and getting nothing for it, but this would be a way to show some kind of offer back to him.  That might be enough to avoid the dreaded negative.

Good luck.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. " -Jack Handey

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 20, 2013, 05:53 AM »
Hmmm. That's a tough one. On one hand you seem to have clearly stated what the auction was, but on the other hand it's bad to have a dissatisfied customer. It depends how much money we're talking here. Can we see the auction?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Knight
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58 AM »
Yeah apparently there are shoe collectors out there. Apparently they release new versions of shoes each year like cars, and people obsess with collecting them like we do with each rereleased Darth Vader figure.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24 AM »
It's hard for me to see how eBay could side with the buyer if they do end up opening a case. The item description was clear and obvious, you had pictures, and it clearly stated "No refunds".

"I do not want this item don't like" is not likely to be considered a compelling reason to rule in his favor.

He can't really complain that the item is "signifcantly not as described" either which is the usual ploy. They will be able to review the communication history and determine this was just buyer remorse.

The only wrinkle would be if he does send it back to you. Not sure if/how that impact the ruling. They might actually ask you to re-ship it, but I don't see how they could force you.

Offline Master_Phruby

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 20, 2013, 09:56 AM »
I can see a market for one shoe. My son wears a leg brace and we always have to buy him two pairs of shoes since one foot is bigger than the other one. Some shoe stores give a discount for this situation.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #502 on: August 20, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Hmmm. That's a tough one. On one hand you seem to have clearly stated what the auction was, but on the other hand it's bad to have a dissatisfied customer. It depends how much money we're talking here. Can we see the auction?

I don't see why not... - for the record, I misspoke earlier, this auction was for a left shoe... "Left Shoe Sample Only" is what I said.

I had 6 total shoes, and on the four that didn't get bought early I added a note with 3 or 4 days to go that said "I've gotten a few questions, so I want to re-iterate that this auction is not for a pair of shoes. It is for one sample shoe (right shoe) - auction is for collectors or people looking to replace one shoe."

So, I don't anticipate any problems with those... but I could see people who just look at the photo, assume that no one would ever sell just one shoe, and bidding without thinking twice.

I'm not terribly worried about it I suppose.  It was $40 and I ate about $3 on the shipping ($6 didn't cover it).  Over the years I've gotten 3, maybe 4 negative feedbacks and every single time it was from inexperienced dolt over-reacting or mis-understanding something and just leaving feedback.   

It's hard for me to see how eBay could side with the buyer if they do end up opening a case. The item description was clear and obvious, you had pictures, and it clearly stated "No refunds".

"I do not want this item don't like" is not likely to be considered a compelling reason to rule in his favor.

He can't really complain that the item is "signifcantly not as described" either which is the usual ploy. They will be able to review the communication history and determine this was just buyer remorse.

The only wrinkle would be if he does send it back to you. Not sure if/how that impact the ruling. They might actually ask you to re-ship it, but I don't see how they could force you.

That's my thinking too, that he shot himself in the foot (yuck yuck) by starting the conversation off about how he didn't like the item. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:37 AM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 20, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Well I would side with you (and you know how much it pains me to say that) if I were at eBay and someone opened a case.

So if he passes the baton to eBay and puts in a claim, don't run from your position, you went the extra mile with your description so just stay in the race until you cross the finish line.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #504 on: August 20, 2013, 12:32 PM »
Thanks.  That's where I'm at as well... hopefully I just don't hear from this guy again.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #505 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Well, that guy never wrote me back (because he was dead wrong), but another one has.  And this one isn't going away quietly.  Despite the auction saying:"

- Right Running Shoe Size W 7 (Auction Title)
- Right Running Shoe - Size Women's 7
- Right Shoe Sample Only.

And featuring a note added with four days to go:

I've gotten a few questions, so I want to re-iterate that this auction is not for a pair of shoes. It is for one sample shoe (right shoe) - auction is for collectors or people looking to replace one shoe.

And despite my clear no returns and no exchanges policy at the top of the auction, this one is going to open a case and insists that they're sending the shoe back tomorrow even though I've told them three times not to.  Apparently people are freaking morons on eBay.

So, get your bets in now... will eBay side with this guy:

"I'm sorry too I did not read it well or I misunderstood. I hope you will consider for me to return the shoe because I do not really need it.I will return it to you as soon as possible.Thank you and I hope you understand."

"Well I told you I do not need it and I DON'T SELL IN EBAY. I understand what you have stated in your policy no return no exchange but it can always be reversible because it is covered by ebay buyer protection. You will expect the returned item not later this week and I will provide you the tracking number. Thank you."

"Besides as a seller you do not implement no return nor exchanges policy because wherever you go there is always returns and exchanges specially if customer is not satisfied with the product,is defective or there is confusion in your listing. It supposed to be stated in the item's ad..ONE PIECE SHOE/WITHOUT A PAIR. not RIGHT RUNNING SHOE."

"I will provide you the tracking number as I've said. In this situation it is my right to open a case in ebay. Will send the soe within this week. Thanks!"

Or no?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #506 on: August 21, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Better side with you...  He seems to have a bit of an issue with English there, so I can understand if he's confused, but his confusion isn't your problem.  **** him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #507 on: August 21, 2013, 08:44 PM »
I offered them a 50% refund because they won't stop emailing me.  We'll see if they take it or not.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #508 on: August 21, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I'd have fought it out I guess...  But that's me.  He's a knob either way.  By all means post his Ebay ID here for us.  :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 21, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Oh man, that is painful...what a weakener. I DREAD any buyers like that winning one of my auctions.

I think you are clearly in the right here, but I also know how ridiculously slanted eBay is towards the buyer in most disputes.

I could see them possibly refunding him but not taking the money away from you either. I believe I have heard of them eating it like that in the past. One can hope anyway.

I hope it works out! You need a hilarious moron-proof disclaimer in the future auctions. ("THIS IS FOR ONE (1) SHOE! UNO! NOT a pair. Please contact me if you need help understanding how many 1 is. Spoiler alert: It's less than 2.")

;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:57 AM by McMetal »