Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191904 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #660 on: May 16, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Hmm, no these are not folks who are offering to buy stuff outside of eBay, (that is a big No-No in their eyes anyway) they're just people who basically just want me to drop the price on an item I already have listed. So all the eBay and Paypal fees would still come into play, unfortunately.

And these are not auctions that are overpriced to begin with, honestly. I always price stuff to sell. But I also know my margins and the lowest I can afford to go. I have no problem listing stuff for weeks over weeks, I don't expect stuff to sell right away. But I've never had anything linger more than a few months either.

And yeah, I am very appreciative of any interest in my listings. I just find the occasional lowballing more of an annoyance personally than the sellers who have outrageous BINs. Those I can easily ignore.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15 PM »
UGH - so I picked up the Jek-14 Mini Stealth Starfighter on an eBay auction that claimed the set was New/Unused/Unopened.

Well - it arrived today and imagine my shock to find the two clear tape circular seals that hold the top of the box onto the bottom were both cut.

Opened up the box to find the mini-figure fully assembled INSIDE the bag and then found that the bag was one of those resealable type bags.

Does anyone else have this set? Is that how the bag was? Did the mini-figure come pre-assembled - most Lego sets have the head, torso, legs, hair/helmet all as separate pieces.

Not to mention the fact that Jek-14's hair-piece is missing. I'm not OVERLY concerned about that since I can always request another one from Lego Customer Service to replace it.

My complaint is that it truly wasn't a new/unopened set with those tape seals cut.

Am I being unreasonable?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 21, 2014, 11:15 AM »
I just did so and was going to post this.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 21, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Crap, I've had the same password for over 15 years. Gonna miss that.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 21, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Took them three months to admit it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #666 on: May 29, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Opened my first claim against a seller today...  Very cordial and cool about refunding me a little money.

I'd bought something that said it was unopened, but it was clearly opened at some point.  Since it is something relatively fragile I was reluctant then to just accept it as-is, and asked for just the shipping returned to me which the seller happily did for me.  Very cool and appreciated.

It wasn't much $ being talked about, just $5-ish, but it made the difference to me, and I walked away quite happy and impressed at how nice the seller was about it all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Strange eBay issue for me today. I sold some stuff last week and shipped it all out using the paypal linked eBay shipping option. Usually works great and does all the tracking communication for me. The strange part, this package was clearly intended to ship to Arizona. It's spent the last 24 hours rolling through Boston and New Hamphsire (note, I shipped from Illinios). Why is this package in the North East???  All the rest of my packages (including another one to Arizona) arrived today.  Strange. Sure hope it arrives.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #668 on: May 29, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Could've been a slip up in distribution that SHOULD work itself out...  Distribution center traffic can route stuff weird ways though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 29, 2014, 11:42 PM »
I have had both something I bought and something I sold go to the west coast first when it should have gone north to south and vice versa and other than the extra time it took, everything went fine. Though the buyer only gave me 4 stars for shipping time. Whatever.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 30, 2014, 04:17 AM »
I got the email too and went to see if I left any credit card/paypal info in my account since I've literally only used eBay once, and that was ten years ago to buy some VOTC figures. Will probably stay that way too.

UGH - so I picked up the Jek-14 Mini Stealth Starfighter on an eBay auction that claimed the set was New/Unused/Unopened.

Well - it arrived today and imagine my shock to find the two clear tape circular seals that hold the top of the box onto the bottom were both cut.

Opened up the box to find the mini-figure fully assembled INSIDE the bag and then found that the bag was one of those resealable type bags.

Does anyone else have this set? Is that how the bag was? Did the mini-figure come pre-assembled - most Lego sets have the head, torso, legs, hair/helmet all as separate pieces.

Not to mention the fact that Jek-14's hair-piece is missing. I'm not OVERLY concerned about that since I can always request another one from Lego Customer Service to replace it.

My complaint is that it truly wasn't a new/unopened set with those tape seals cut.

Am I being unreasonable?

Little late, but LEGO polybags are never taped or stapled or anything. It's like buying a bag of chips. Would you buy one that was taped shut? Definitely get your money back Pete.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 30, 2014, 12:55 PM »
So just to update on my Jek-14 Mini Starfighter issue.

Never got a response back from the seller. The one piece that was missing was identical to the Jek figure hair-piece that came with the mass retail bigger Jek-14 Fighter - so I went to Lego's customer service site and asked for one - and I was sent it.

So now that set is "complete" - I have not been able to confirm whether or not there were any "spare" parts - there probably were but I can't seem to find on any of the Lego collector sites what they were exactly - but at least I now have all the parts the instruction book indicates should be there.

So after waiting the period of time that eBay asked me to wait, I let them know that I hadn't heard back from the seller - so without reading my comments they e-mailed me a shipping return label and said I'll get a full refund when they are alerted, via shipping tracking, that the item was returned to the seller.

That wasn't the outcome I wanted - and no matter how many times I explained that to the eBay customer support e-mail address, they just didn't seem to get it.

So I looked at the current going rate for the set and it's $109+

I got it for $79.99 + $5 shipping

If I send it back - this horrible seller was just going re-list it as "new" and "unopened" and in order for me to get the set, I would have to pay even more money.

So in the end, I just kept it - I was going to open it and build it anyway.

The lousy part is that I want to leave negative feedback for the seller, but I'm worried that the seller is just gonna leave a negative feedback on me in retaliation.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 30, 2014, 01:47 PM »
The lousy part is that I want to leave negative feedback for the seller, but I'm worried that the seller is just gonna leave a negative feedback on me in retaliation.

Sellers can't leave negative or neutral feedbacks anymore, so no need to worry about retaliation. The worst the seller could do is leave a positive feedback with a negative written comment, but that is something eBay will remove.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #673 on: May 30, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Pete,

I basically did the same thing...  If you were happy with it, keep it and demand a partial refund.  You'd have won, and been in the right to have done so.

The guy I was dealing with sent me an item that was opened and resealed, and was listed as unopened.  I contacted him when I opened the claim, which gave me the option to ask that I keep the item but ask for a partial refund.  That's what I did, and he was more than happy to kick back my shipping.  I think he'd have asked for more, but the shipping satisfied me.

In your case it sounds even a little more shady than mine (I think my guy it was an honest mistake), and you deserve some money back, especially since yours was opened AND is missing a part.  Mine was complete, and I was going to open it anyway, so I didn't want to be a jag about it was all.  I wanted something off though because we'd been in a Best Offer negotiation over it and my first offer was declined...  Knowing what I know now, I would've wanted it for the lower price though.

He may not like it, or even respond to you, but either way Ebay's probably going to side with you on it.  Take some pics of it for evidence.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 30, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Sellers can't leave negative or neutral feedbacks anymore, so no need to worry about retaliation. The worst the seller could do is leave a positive feedback with a negative written comment, but that is something eBay will remove.

Wow - they can't? Nice!
Peter