Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 34822 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #660 on: June 1, 2014, 09:28 AM »
I copied the description out of the auction for you guys to read:

Exclusive 2013 San Diego Comic Con

LEGO Star Wars

JEK-14 Mini Stealth Starfighter

Limited to 1000

*Brand New Unopened*

One of the hottest LEGO items at 2013 San Diego Comic Con. Get yours today!

This wasn't a mistake - the seller knew what they had and knew that Lego sets that are advertised as used/opened do not command premium mark-up. (I did not add the asterisks they were in the description.)

If the box had come with the tape seals intact, I would have given the seller positive feedback and moved on. If the seals had been cut and the bag inside was a standard issue unopened Lego parts bag and all of the parts were in the bag, I would have still given the seller a positive feedback and moved on. Because it would be plausible that the seller opened the box to make sure everything was inside.

I am sorry you have had bad experiences as a seller Jman - but I am not the kind of buyer that drove you to your frustration with eBay. So let's just move on for the sake of this thread.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I'm a dude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 2, 2014, 05:36 AM »
If the box had come with the tape seals intact, I would have given the seller positive feedback and moved on. If the seals had been cut and the bag inside was a standard issue unopened Lego parts bag and all of the parts were in the bag, I would have still given the seller a positive feedback and moved on. Because it would be plausible that the seller opened the box to make sure everything was inside.

Would you really?  You decided a 25% refund was called for because of the tape seals?  I collect a lot of stuff - some carded and some loose.  If I wanted this item sealed and it was opened, I'd have asked for a huge discount or sent it back.  I couldn't display it the way I intended, so I would be very dissatisfied.  The seller was totally wrong here from that angle. BUT, if I planned to open it anyway, I would have just let something like this slide.  I might even warn the guy to use better descriptions, but I wouldn't have sought out a discount or taken it any further. 

I have actually been fairly lucky with Ebay throughout my collecting career, but I hear stories like this all the time.  Big companies like Target can weather a dissatisfied customer here or there.  Maybe I'm just over sensitive to smaller sellers since Ebay already dicks them over for 10% of final value and shipping fees on top of paypal fees.  Glad you at least got the item you wanted.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. " -Jack Handey

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Knight
  • I am now using steroids to enhance my posts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 6, 2014, 02:08 PM »
First thing is I realize this isn't a big deal at all. Six baseball cards for all of 50 cents.

But I won two lots of three MN Twins baseball cards from a guy last Sunday on ebay. When I try to pay I get a message from ebay saying his paypal account can't accept my payment at this time. I let him know, he says he contacted paypal and they said paypal is down. I have had no problem with paypal the rest of the week including paying other people.

I have let him know I have been trying to pay all week and it still doesn't work. I asked him if his other items he sold same day have been paid for by the buyers. I have asked him what he would like to do about it. He isn't responding. I emailed paypal for suggestions and they were useless.

Is there a way to ask ebay to help without it opening a case? I don't want to open a case for 50 cents worth of cards that the issue is him not getting his money. But it's obnoxious he won't respond and I'd like my cards. They may not be valuable but filled a hole in my collection and I don't buy his story about "paypal is down".

Any thoughts?
"A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about, how many people can make you feel rare?"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I'm a dude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 6, 2014, 03:16 PM »
You could ask to just pay him direct and write him a check?  Then he can actually file non-payment and save $.05 on the transaction.  Seems like he just doesn't care since he's only getting $.50 less fees.  I haven't had any trouble with paypal this week...or like ever.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. " -Jack Handey

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 6, 2014, 03:27 PM »
I've been doing PayPal stuff all week with no problems either.

What has more likely happened is that they have frozen his account for some reason and he is unable to send or accept payments. That happened to me a few months back when there was a concern about overseas fraud. (Thankfully I was not victimized and the hold was lifted after a week or two)
Slice you open like a tauntaun, faster than the Autobahn,
Or a motorbike in Tron, do the deed and then I'm gone.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I'm a dude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 6, 2014, 08:39 PM »
I've been doing PayPal stuff all week with no problems either.

What has more likely happened is that they have frozen his account for some reason and he is unable to send or accept payments. That happened to me a few months back when there was a concern about overseas fraud. (Thankfully I was not victimized and the hold was lifted after a week or two)

That doesn't explain why he isn't responding to emails. 

Offline Dave

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 7, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Sounds like he is a punk.  If you sent him the $0.50 you probably wouldn't even get your cards.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Knight
  • I am now using steroids to enhance my posts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 8, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Obnoxious ebay week.

Paid $6+ for a loose General Madine figure with autographed cardback by Dermot Crowley. I can't guarantee it was authentic and seller couldn't either, but looked good enough to be worth a try to me.

Just got my money refunded with explanation the seller's "dog ate the figure and cardback". I don't know if I should laugh or cry or what.
"A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about, how many people can make you feel rare?"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #668 on: June 8, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Gotta laugh at the effort on that excuse.  I'm kinda getting a less sympathetic feeling for Ebays seller rules at the moment.

He'll 3rd graders are laughing at that effort.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 9, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Gotta laugh at the effort on that excuse.  I'm kinda getting a less sympathetic feeling for Ebays seller rules at the moment.

He'll 3rd graders are laughing at that effort.

Careful guys - JediJman is gonna come down on you for not believing the "dog ate my homework excuse" - it's exactly because of buyers like you guys who don't believe that dogs can eat homework that he left being an eBay seller.  ;)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I'm a dude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 9, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Careful guys - JediJman is gonna come down on you for not believing the "dog ate my homework excuse" - it's exactly because of buyers like you guys who don't believe that dogs can eat homework that he left being an eBay seller.  ;)

WOW.  Are you really still butt hurt from getting called out over a week ago?  Gotta say, I'm a little freaked out that I've been on your mind all this time. 

So let's just move on for the sake of this thread.

Right.  ;)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 10, 2014, 12:59 AM »
I know it was posted on anotheR Site, but did anyone see this auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenner-Star-Wars-1977-1984-action-Figure-80-lot-oiginal-vinatge-carded-set-Jedi-/251543742032?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3a912ce650

Asking price is a bit high for my taste  ;D

Would be awesome to be able to pick up a complete set like that. The only way it could be better is if the figures were on their original card backs.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:34 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I'm a dude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 11, 2014, 07:29 AM »
That's crazy.  If each figure averted $100, you still wouldn't be at half the asking price.  And for most people, buying a huge lot is less enticing than just buying up the specific figures you want.  Nice collection, but totally unrealistic price.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I'm a dude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 8, 2014, 11:28 AM »

Offline Master_Phruby

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 8, 2014, 01:52 PM »
What's the retail value on all 8? 
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours