Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 193343 times)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #180 on: May 5, 2004, 03:45 PM »
I just found out that one of my old Paypal accounts I had but lost the password to is listed as my Pay Now option on Ebay.  A buyer sent money to me through this email address seeing it on the Pay Now.  I'm trying to figure out how to change this to my new account so that this will not happen again.  ANyone knows how to change it please reply here.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #181 on: May 5, 2004, 04:23 PM »
Tom

I believe you have to do this at Paypal...somehow your old address is set as your default send to address.  You can add a new email address but I'm not sure if you can then make that your default payment address...

Anyone know this???

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 5, 2004, 04:37 PM »
I manage to get in to this account so hopefully I don't have to much of a problem.  Winning Bidders could send me the money though this account then I will just transfer it to my other one I guess.  
Thanks for the information Scott I will try looking at Paypal to see how I can change it.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2004, 12:43 AM »
is this funny or something?

Offline JediKnight87

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2004, 02:09 PM »
how stupid.
"Now I am the Master!"-Darth Vader

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2004, 07:26 PM »
I feel sorry for the guy... should have known better not to buy those tapes anyway.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 2, 2004, 06:51 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36068&item=2260825763&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Why exactley do people feel they need to bid on something so very far away from the auction ending? I know, I know, reserves and what not. But, seriously, is a 6 day prior spree of auctions neccesary?

This set is worth upwards of the $300 dollar mark, given, and may even push the limits of one thousand. But, what kind of friggen moron bids 6 days early?

It's incredibly annoying. I only have about 250-300 on this thing, and am incredibly vexed by these fools already pushing it up to 150.

Heck even if I miss the reserve by a long shot, atleast I'll know I could have won it, and plus, I'm sure I could reason with the seller.

So, in closing, what are some of the grevences of Ebay you've had? Have you ever lost an auction due to morons marking it up WAY to soon?

Rant=Over
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2004, 07:46 PM »
personally, i think that's the way ebay wanted it done in the first place. i hate it when someone comes in with like 2 seconds left in an auction and outbids me. absolutely hate it. not to say that i don't do it myself, which is hypocritical, and i understand that. and i love to do it. i do. but i hate when it gets done to me.

but back to your question - why do people do that? in my experience, it's usually either (a) people who are semi - new to ebay, or just don't understand how the whole ebay thing really works, or (b) friends of the seller, trying to run the price up early, so that when people who really want the item - such as yourself - go to check it out at the end of the auction time - which is what most people do - they will have to place a much higher bid in order to win the item.

but then again, i'm no expert on ebay or anything like that, this is just my opinion (on a topic that's already 12 days old, but i just saw  :P )

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2004, 06:12 AM »
I'd be one of those ebay idiots!!
When i first started using ebay i'd watch the auctions and start bidding towards the end of it and by doing this i fell into the just a little more trap, and ended up paying some stupid amounts of moneyfor some things.
Now i've got a bit more control, i see something i want decide how much I would spend on it and put that bid in, if i win terrific if not , it just means someone else wants it more than i'm willing to pay , and good luck to them.
It means i keep my sanity and my budget under control, so i don't really think it's stupid to bid on an item early in the auction.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2004, 07:39 PM »
okay, this question goes out to the guys (and gals) here who do a little of both on ebay - buying and selling. mostly for the sellers...

when you sell an item, when do you leave feedback for the buyer? do you leave it right away, as soon as the item is paid for, or do you wait?

i see way too many people on ebay selling things, saying right in their auctions, "please leave feedback for me after you have received your item. i will not leave feedback for you until after you have left it for me."

that's a bunch of bull****.

i understand that many people get feedback for transactions and don't leave any. but when i sell something, as soon as i get paid for that item and ship it out, i leave feedback for the person who bought it. if they don't leave feedback for me? oh well, they suck. but for a seller to not leave feedback until after an item is received? i think that's stupid. if a person pays on time (or as this point - if they pay at all) you should leave feedback for them at that time. what's the matter? afraid you're going to get a negative once your item is received and it's not what you advertised? then don't sell crap.

so what do you guys do? leave feedback when an item is paid for, or do you wait? and how do you feel about people who do that?

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2004, 08:14 PM »
I, like you, will leave feedback as soon as the payment has been recieved. No reason not too. Their end of the deal has been completed and as long as they paid in a reasonable amount of time, positive feedback is in order.

I think it sucks when other sellers wait until you leave feedback before leaving it for you. Worse yet, is those who don't even leave feedback period, even after you've left it for them.

I'm almost to the point where I might start factoring in the amount of feedback a seller has left before I even place a bid. If they want my bid, and my feedback after the item has been received, I want some assurance they'll reciprocate the good deed. Because if it wasn't for feedback, ebay simply wouldn't work.

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2004, 08:59 PM »
To my mind feedback should only be left once the deal is over.  If for some reason the deal fell through or the item got lost and I had to give a refund it would be a “no-sale”. Therefore, why would I leave feedback before I know the item has arrived safely?  I bank cheques as soon as they arrive, pack items perfectly, and send the item the same day that the funds clear. I email the buyer at every stage of the process.  Why should I go to all this effort and risk being left negative feedback by one of the nuts out there?  The customer being happy is as much part of their end of the deal as much as is their obligation to send the money. 

I was once threatened with negative feedback for late delivery by a very unpleasant buyer.  Now, I had posted the item as soon as the payment cleared, but the postal service was very slow that month.  How is that my fault?  One of the reasons it turned out OK was because I hadn’t left feedback yet and so the buyer couldn’t post lies about me without fear of comeback.

When I’m buying (and it’s 50-50 with me on eBay) I always leave feedback first.  It’s only polite to let the seller know that the item has arrived safe and well, and to thank them for their efforts.  For all the horror stories you hear, there are some great sellers out there who take a lot of care with their packaging and they deserve the credit when it’s due.

This is why I have never had to leave negative or neutral feedback, and why my own record is 205 @ 100% positive.

And another point is that feedback isn’t compulsory.
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 25, 2004, 09:02 PM »
I leave feedback as soon as someone pays for an item.  Why wait?  I'm not a big fan of those who won't leave feedback when I pay until I post their's first but as long as they keep up their end, then I'm satisfied.  I just don't get WHY one would post that in an auction.  Of all the ones I've seen that state those terms, they seem to be a "power" seller or pretty damn close. It bugs me a little but not enough for me to actually not bid on anything.  

I can only assume they actually make a living on Ebay and really need people to post feedback for them (and they must be assuming positive postings) so that one would be more apt to bid/buy from them rather than someone with under 50 feedbacks or something.....just my .02 cents.
Beth

SilverZ

« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2004, 09:32 PM »
When I was using ebay, I'd always leave feedback right away, too. That seems the only honest thing to do.

However, I always found that I'd get feedback (when selling) every 1 in 5 times, at best, so I understand the feedback ransom mentality. It's frustrating if you're trying to build a good reputation and only a few of your customers bother leaving positive words. It's then harder (and misrepresentative) to give an accurate impression of your ebay habits when someone leaves a negative.

On a sidenote, that's why I gave up on ebay. I used to sell all of my DVDs on there. I got tired of people treating me like I'm Amazon.com, and flipping out when their package hadn't arrived within 2 days of paying. There's just not a lot of realization from folks that all sellers aren't full time business guys, solely existing in the world to peddle cheap crap on ebay. It just wasn't worth the hassle.