Author Topic: Spyware (anti) - any suggestions?  (Read 4350 times)

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
Re: Spyware (anti) - any suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2004, 12:51 AM »
I have Norton Internet Security running and have had no spyware problems since loading it. I also got a router and installed both at the same time.

I used to suffer from spyware constantly. But since taking the above measures, I've not had a single problem.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2004, 12:54 AM »
 ::)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 12:55 AM by OCB »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2004, 01:03 AM »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 05:21 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: ******* Spyware
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 05:18 AM »
Ad-Aware, I've personally found, to clean EVERYTHING out.

My buddy CorranHorn got me onto the Ad-Aware thing.  It pretty much fixed a problem I had that I was gonna take my PC to get worked on, it was that bad.

I've not needed anything else, so I recommend it to anyone.  I just run Ad-Aware now when I run Scandisk and Defrag once a month.  It's just routine...  Or when I know I got something nasty on (as you did Scott.  That EXACT scenario has happened to me maybe 3 times already).

Now if you would only listen to me and use ******* Mozilla!!! I swear people, the best piece of internet related software you could ever download is the Mozilla Firefox web browser. Not only is it a fast, clean and smooth running app, it's got a lot of Java, ActiveX, popup, adware, etc protection that the piece of crap known as IE will never have, without downloading a half dozen ancillary pieces of software.

After Firefox, all you will need as previously mentioned is Ad-Aware and Spybot: Search & Destroy to crush any haphazard adware/spyware that gets on your machine from other net uses suchs as P2P or e-mail. And of course a solid virus scanner whose company updates it's virus definitions every day is a must.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2004, 05:22 PM »
I defy you sir.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2004, 08:04 PM »
Wow, weird that this even came up and Ad-Aware SE was even suggested as today our tech guy installed this in all the computers at the office and told me that this would be the best thing for me to run at home.  He said a two year download would cost me about $45.00 bucks and then proceeded to show me all the little miner bugs (or whatever they are called) that were on my hard drive at the office. 

I have yet to go to www.lavasoft.de and do anything but since this is his job, I pretty much follow all his suggestions.
Beth

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 1, 2004, 12:24 AM »
I defy you sir.

[yoda]That, is why you fail.....[/yoda]
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: September 1, 2004, 01:36 AM »
I only fail when I ask you why IE's not wrking.  :)  And that's not THAT often.  Like twice a year tops, and usually my own fault.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 1, 2004, 07:04 PM »
Now if you would only listen to me and use ******* Mozilla!!! I swear people, the best piece of internet related software you could ever download is the Mozilla Firefox web browser. Not only is it a fast, clean and smooth running app, it's got a lot of Java, ActiveX, popup, adware, etc protection that the piece of crap known as IE will never have, without downloading a half dozen ancillary pieces of software.

while i would agree with this, mozilla does have it's own issues. it may seem silly, and petty, but my mouse doesn't work properly with mozilla. i have one of the logitech trackball thingies with this little wheel that they call the "webwheel" - it's the little scroll wheel like a lot of mice have nowadays, but when you press it down, it pretty much gives you a little round circle of links, kinda like what's at the top of your browser... basic stuff, like 'home', 'back', 'reload', etc. and i've been using it for a while, so i've gotten used to it. but those functions don't work in mozilla  :'(

and mozilla's e-mail client isn't the greatest either. if you have multiple emails - like i do - outlook can check them all at the same time. but i couldn't get mozilla to access all four of mine without going and clicking on "check mail" under each identity seperately. again, silly and petty, but extremely annoying.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 2, 2004, 12:25 AM »

while i would agree with this, mozilla does have it's own issues. it may seem silly, and petty, but my mouse doesn't work properly with mozilla. i have one of the logitech trackball thingies with this little wheel that they call the "webwheel" - it's the little scroll wheel like a lot of mice have nowadays, but when you press it down, it pretty much gives you a little round circle of links, kinda like what's at the top of your browser... basic stuff, like 'home', 'back', 'reload', etc. and i've been using it for a while, so i've gotten used to it. but those functions don't work in mozilla  :'(

and mozilla's e-mail client isn't the greatest either. if you have multiple emails - like i do - outlook can check them all at the same time. but i couldn't get mozilla to access all four of mine without going and clicking on "check mail" under each identity seperately. again, silly and petty, but extremely annoying.

well for overall web browsing experience and security mozilla is the way to go. but i do agree with you that it does have some quirks. when i first started using it, the buttons up top like home, stop, reload, back, etc, the little images wouldn't load and all i would get is a black outline. it was a known issue with that particular version and was resolved by the next release. that's the great thing about mozilla, though its a continuing work in progress, you can interact with those working on mozilla via mozilla.org and let them know of any problems you've experienced as well as look up a list of known issues.

i have no experience with the e-mail client however, so i can't say anythign good or bad about it. i used to use outlook myself at home and have to use it at work and its a good program to use so long as you are careful with the attachments that are sent your way.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #26 on: September 2, 2004, 05:04 PM »
Mozilla is rather quirky. Just my