Author Topic: Anybody else a hardcore auto enthusiast?  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody else a hardcore auto enthusiast?
« Reply #15 on: September 3, 2004, 12:45 AM »
Nice car Robert.  Looks somewhat familiar but in beautiful shape.  I no longer remember, but 383?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline austinPOTF

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Drive Fast, Walk Slow
« Reply #16 on: September 3, 2004, 12:50 AM »
Robert,

**** YES! That is a BEAUTIFUL 'Cuda!  :o

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #17 on: September 3, 2004, 08:31 PM »
Thank you for the compliments!  This was my very first car and it's something you don't hear about very often (i.e. people who own their very first car, 15 years after buying it).  Some breakdown on the restored 1973 E body 'Cuda Barracuda runs like this.  It's a numbers matching, rare white on white car (i.e. white interior and exterior).  The car still has the original '340 small block under the hood.  This was the final year for the 340 motor as Chrysler changed the displacement mid year to create the 1974 (the final year for the Barracuda) 360 c. i. motor.  The car is one of 6,583 'Cuda Barracuda's built for the 1973 model year, and one of 4,576 built with an automatic.  In my opinion, probably roughly half of the 1973 'Cuda Barracuda's survive today, and most are modified making this bone stock example a rare find.  It took five donor cars to restore this car to how it appears today, and I did not purchase the car restored.  The restoration took roughly 14 months although I'd have to check the receipts and pictures of the car restoration to verify.

The car pretty much has had the once over with the exception of dipping the frame and detailing the under carriage.  An 8-3/4 rear end is in the back hooked up with the 727 tranny.  The car has the optional rally package, but lacks luxuries such as A.C.  The original owner of the car appears to have ordered it to cruise at a good speed and didn't add options that would take away what was left of the horsepower (since the compression ratio was lower than the previous 340 motors).  That's pretty much the basics of the car.  How fast is the car?  I honestly have no idea.  Each car is different, and so many things have to be taken into consideration when judging how fast a car is.  I have no desire to find out either.  It's not worth wreaking the car if something happens, and it's certainly not worth my life to find out.  I simply reply to that question with a sense of humor by stating slower than some faster than most.  Two things I always remember is there's always somebody faster, and worth more money.  If I wanted speed I'd modify the car or purchase a big block car.  For me it's owning a piece of automotive history that makes the car unique.  I do drive the car from time to time, and to Star Wars collector club meetings. 8>)  The car holds it's own quite well in judged events and has placed higher in show competitions than some even rarer restored E Body Barracudas.  The car stills has a ways to go, as I would like to rebuild the engine, but the engine bay is show worthy.

My family has six MOPAR musclecars.  The latest project is an ultra rare 440 Road Runner GTX with a sun roof.  It's hard to believe this car was my daily driver for six years to school, college, and work.  My advise is if you are looking to purchase an American musclecar buy one already restored!  It may not be as fun or cheaper, but it saves some hassles of hunting for parts! 8>)

Robert
NOOMIVARR SECTOR
BLACK S. U. N.