Author Topic: Kevin Smith working on "Clerks" sequel  (Read 6390 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Kevin Smith working on "Clerks" sequel
« on: August 30, 2004, 03:47 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/30/clerks.sequel.ap/index.html

Found this today on CNN.com.  If it's old news, by all means delete the thread.  This is the first I've heard about it.  Love the title by the way. 

SilverZ

Re: Kevin Smith working on "Clerks" sequel
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I was partial to Clerks 2: Hardly Clerkin':) Sounds like a really new development, wow. I thought he debunked ever doing a sequel a while back. How quickly a stream of flops can change things I guess.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 03:57 PM »
I wouldn't put much stock in it. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was supposed to be the last "View Askew" flick.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 04:07 PM »
I wouldn't put much stock in it. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was supposed to be the last "View Askew" flick.

That's true, but as Jared pointed out, his "Jersey Girl" flop may have changed his mind I guess.

From the story:
It's funny, it's very raw, insanely foul-mouthed. In many ways it's the antithesis of 'Jersey Girl,"' Smith said, referring to his recent PG-13 comedy with Ben Affleck as the widowed father of a little girl.

Sounds like he's already trying to distance it from Jersey Girl...

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 04:21 PM »

Well it quotes him directly in most of the article, so unless he's just messin w/ everyone, it seems legit.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 05:38 PM »
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'd love it if he did. I read what he said recently, but what he said back then should still be considered.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 06:21 PM »
Still liking the Clerks 2: Electric Boogaloo title better. [/joke]
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 07:35 PM »
Meh, I liked Clerks, thought it was pretty funny and original, by the time he got to Jay and Silent Bob I thought the whole thing had run its course.  I say let sleeping dogs lie

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 10:20 PM »
I hope this focuses less on Jay and Silent Bob and more on Randal and Dante's (particularly Dante's) malaise. I expect plenty of weed and dick and fart jokes, not to mention many utterances of the word '****'. Maybe something about an institutionalized Caitlin? ;D

J&SBSB is a flick one watches about twice before it slowly creeps its way back in one's DVD collection.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 12:26 PM »
I thought Slacker was much better than Clerks. Smith... didn't he do that Matt Damon movie?
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 01:30 PM »
He's done another Dante and Randal Project for Leno, called The Flying Car. It's available for download at veiwaskew.com.

Yes! Here's to another Smith Classic!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 04:00 PM »
I thought Slacker was much better than Clerks. Smith... didn't he do that Matt Damon movie?

I hope that you don't mean this:

:P

Seriously though, hasn't Smith stated publically that "Slacker" was the reason he made "Clerks"? 
Lemme see if I can find that story I read...

Kevin Smith Talks Screenwriting, "Slacker" and "Superman"

Exerpt from the story:
However ironically, it was J. Hoberman's review in the "Village Voice" that inspired Smith to venture into New York City on his 21st birthday to see Richard Linklater's "Slacker," the unconventional, character-driven indie that lacked high production values or stars. What struck Smith about the film was that the audience was going nuts and laughing themselves silly. On the heels of this revelation, Smith spent 1 1/2 years immersing himself in independent movies, from Jim Jarmusch to Spike Lee to Hal Hartley films. As Smith remembered, "'Slacker' was the film that got me off my ass."

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Thought I'd give this old thread a bump, since we're just a few months away from Clerks II (check out the trailers here).

But I'm really bumping this because of something else Kevin Smith-related--something that I personally find vastly more important and worthwhile than Clerks II, or any of his other movies, for that matter:

Me and My Shadow, Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9 - The Conclusion

This is a story from his blog, where he basically chronicles the battles his friend and costar Jason Mewes has had with drug addiction over the past ten or so years.  Very frank, very candid.  There was really a lot more going on behind the scenes than anyone knew--anyone who wasn't directly involved, anyway. 

I've never been the biggest fan of Smith or the whole View Askewniverse, for that matter--but this story gives me a newfound appreciation for the guy, and for Mewes, too.  Altogether, it's a pretty long read (maybe an hour or so?), but it's really-well written, and it's really hard not to want to finish it after reading the first chapter.  You guys should really check it out.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 10:56 AM »
Thanks for posting that.  I check his site from time to time, and found that story (in the middle) a couple of weeks ago and went back and read from the beginning til the end that was posted last week.  I really thought it was good read too.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Wow, that's some pretty heavy stuff.

"Really?  Sorry."