Author Topic: WiiU  (Read 7931 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: WiiU
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 12:15 AM »
My Wii is doing just fine. I see no need to upgrade.

I did however, pick up a used GameCube at Good Will for $5 a couple of weeks ago. So I've got that going for me. ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Need to resurrect this thread with a question for you guys.

We've had a Wii for years now, but they are not releasing Disney Infinity 2.0 on this platform, so my sons are pretty upset that they can't play it.  Does anyone currently own a Wii U?  If you do, can you explain what the deal is with the controller and the fact that you can only have one of them per system and need to get a standard controller(s) for multi-player games?  Is it really worth it to upgrade to this system vs. getting a PS4 or XBox One?  Our Wii is working fine, so they can still play the games they own on this system.  It's just a matter of whether we want to have two different systems in the house, or get the Wii U and be able to play all of our game.

Any help you guys can provide is appreciated.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27 AM »
WiiU has had a rough time.  Some think it might be Nintendo's last console, as it's fared so poorly.  They tried to recapture the lightning in a bottle from the Wii, and made a lot of missteps.  This could impact longevity and future software support.

The PS4, OTOH, has been one of the fastest-selling consoles of all time, vastly outperforming expectations.  It's a solid, gamer-centric unit which has had a stellar reception.  The software line-up for 2015 looks amazing.  Given it's Infinity 2.0 support, I'd recommend going that route.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Pros: 
You can still play all of your old Wii games (even though the process of doing so is sort of clunky)
Nintendo 1st Part games can only be played on the Wii

Cons:
2nd Party gaming sucks, and sucks hard...PS and XBox blow the doors off anything that the Wii can touch

We have a WiiU and a XBox One and like both for what they are...my boys are super duper pumped for Super Smash Bros

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  The boys have never really been big fans of the Nintendo 1st Party games (Mario Cart not withstanding). They have mainly stuck with the Lego games and Infinity over the last year or so.  Knowing that both are available on another platform makes me think I'm done with Nintendo.  Well that, getting confirmation that playing the old Wii games on the WiiU is a bit of a hassle, and that WiiU might be the nail in the coffin for them.  I think I'm going to go a different route when we upgrade.  Now it's just a matter of deciding whether to go Playstation or XBox.  I used to own a PS1 back in the day so I'm thinking about going back to that again.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 08:47 PM »
The PS4 has outsold the XB1 by a 2-to-1 margin to date (11 million v/s 5.5 million).  It's also the more powerful console spec-wise, which is why a lot of multi-platform games that run at 1080p on the PS4 run at 900p or lower on the XB1.  Some people say you can't tell the difference, while others say you can.

Not that I want to get into a console war here...   ;D
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 09:20 AM »
Just realized when I was posting my Black Thursday/Friday purchases that I never posted about what system I went with.  I ended up having enough airline miles to get a PS4 bundle that was being offered.  The unit came with an additional Dual Shock controller and two games (Minecraft and Knack).  Really looking forward to the boys going crazy this Christmas when they open that up!

Thanks for all the advice guys, it really helped in making the decision easier in the end.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 12:45 PM »
We've been going through a similar situation here.  We have a Wii as well, and have really gotten a ton of use out of it over the years, but now it is getting to the point where you can't get new games for it - and like mentioned earlier, not being able to get Disney Infinity 2.0 sort of was the tipping point for our house too.  Nothing wrong with it otherwise, still works great and everything, but it might be time for something new.  Our daughter really wants a WiiU, and to be honest, we've always sort of been a Nintendo household.  I know it isn't as good a system as either the PS4 or XBox, and won't have nearly the game, but honestly with a 7 year old girl we're not necessarily looking at playing games like Halo, Call of Duty, etc. (and I don't have that kind of time anyways).

We are thinking about getting a WiiU for Christmas, but honestly it was the fact that it had been a bit of a failure that was scaring me off.  However, I've been reading some articles int he past couple weeks that discusses the WiiU has really picked up in recent months, mainly due to both SuperSmash and the whole Amiibo thing.  I know it won't ever meet PS4 levels, but hopefully it will become a healthy enough system to last awhile.  I feel like such an old man, because all of these systems (and games for that matter) seem way too expensive to me.  I remember when a Nintendo was a $100 dagnabbit. :)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 06:40 PM »
I bought a WiiU a few months back at Target when they were offering a $25 giftcard + 5% target card + 5% pharmacy rewards.  The ad I got from TRU the other day showed the Mario 3D version @ $269 but not seeing that reflected on their site.

Gift to me from me for Xmas.  Glad it's backwards compatible with the Wii but I hear the controller life is not all that great.  Have a few more PS3 games to get through...Waiting on a decent price drop on the PS4.

Mario and Link in HD?  Yes please.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Super Mario 3D World is an absolute masterpiece. I cannot recommend it enough.  I am a lifelong huge Ninty fan, and I love the WiiU. You can get  very reasonable bundles now.  Plus, it plays all Wii games as well.   This week I grabbed NES Remix pack (I bought part one but heard about this physical release shortly before springing on PT 2). So incredibly addictive. Mario Kart is also a blast.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 07:29 AM »
We have a WiiU and a PS4 in the house because they serve two completely different audiences.  The WiiU is family games and PS4 is my teenage sons gaming system.  My wife and Daughter love to use the WiiU.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 11:50 AM »
$250 at Target this week.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 01:03 PM »
Nintendo announces new Wii U, Wii, and Nintendo 3DS games for $19.99 "Nintendo Selects" line

Great news for me since I got a Wii U for Christmas and need games desperately. This crosses off like 75% of my want list!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks