Author Topic: Do You Have Pets?  (Read 28890 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Have Pets?
« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2016, 01:05 PM »
So sorry. 

Offline Dave

• Jedi Knight
  • Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 15, 2016, 02:50 PM »
It'd be lot easier if dogs weren't so damn cute and endearing. 

Sorry to hear about your loss Rob.

My dog is turning 10 in April and has started that downhill slide that may take months or years to play out and has me thinking about her eventual departure from my family.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 16, 2016, 06:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss Rob.  Anyone who has a pet knows that feeling.  Not quite the same as losing a family member, but about as close as you can get.  Hang in there.
"After Tuesday even the calendar goes W T F. "

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi General
  • Deceived? WHAT?!?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 16, 2016, 10:06 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Dante, Rob.  Things like this are never easy.  Try to focus on the good times, and know that when he was really hurting you were able to relieve that suffering with compassion and mercy.

We were just faced with a serious illness with one of our cats, George.  He developed a UT blockage and nearly died.  And it's agonizing when you're faced with these situations because you're thrust into the uncomfortable position of playing God with your pet.  After a serious surgery and a very significant vet bill, our George has come home.  But it also makes you think very seriously about getting pet insurance for when these things occur.
"You were entrusted to lead the Republic." - Vote for Ven Zallow from THE OLD REPUBLIC in figure polls!

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #319 on: March 17, 2016, 12:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Pet insurance is a definite for any pets we have in the future.  We've spent a fortune on our senior dogs this past year... I'd have to total it all up but it's probably a hair into five figures.  But I had it in my head that I could keep them around a few more years and it was worth it.  Between the surgery I detailed last year on the last page, two corneal debridements, the neck issues with Dante (that may have been brain tumor all along), the diarrhea with Emme... it's been constant.  Pills, extra walks, baby gates to prevent further injury, acupuncture, herbs, surgeries... I did everything I could imagine and after it was all said and done this happened, and the other one might be on her last legs.  I've already gotten a few recommendations for next go around, one of which was Trupanion... I'm told for $45 a month you get 90% coverage and it doesn't expire when they get old as long as you keep up on the payments.  If I'd had that, I'd have probably broken even in the long run, but the cost would have been spread out slowly over 12-13 years.  And, if it had been covered, I'd have just gotten the MRI to be sure before putting him down. 

Next time...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi Master
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2016, 12:27 AM »
I'd be wary of Pet insurance Rob...we have looked into it for our dogs from time to time and the coverage isn't very good at all.
Peacekeeper, when it absolutely, positively has to be nuked in 30 minutes or less.  Or the next nuke's free!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2016, 04:26 PM »
I'd be wary of Pet insurance Rob...we have looked into it for our dogs from time to time and the coverage isn't very good at all.

I've heard that as well.  You might be better off just socking away what you would have paid in a savings account with the mindset that you can only use that money for pet care later on.
"After Tuesday even the calendar goes W T F. "

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #322 on: March 19, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Interesting, I've talked to 4 or 5 pet owners this week and all of them swear by theirs.  Thanks for the opinions though.  This isn't a problem for any time soon, I'll certainly dig deeper into it when that time comes - probably a few years from now.