Author Topic: Star Wars Trilogy DVD Impressions  (Read 12647 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Star Wars Trilogy DVD Impressions
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2004, 12:03 PM »
That line has always been there :-*

SilverZ

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2004, 01:35 PM »
In ESB, unfortunately the Luke "You're lucking you don't taste very good" line is still gone from Dagobah. I'm afraid to complain too loudly or it will get fixed and they'll bring back the Bespin girly scream in future versions in return.  ;)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2004, 06:11 PM »
I was watching ESB last night, and it skipped five times in the first twenty minutes. It didn't do it at all after that, and I checked the disc, and it's not dirty or scratched, so I don't know what the hell is wrong with it.

Probably my player. I should get a new one.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline amarsella

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2004, 07:21 PM »
I was watching ESB last night, and it skipped five times in the first twenty minutes. It didn't do it at all after that, and I checked the disc, and it's not dirty or scratched, so I don't know what the hell is wrong with it.

I had an issue with ANH disc and had to exchange the set for another.  There were two spots where the video just got hung and I had to hit play again to get it going. Only when I hit play it jumped to the place on the disc that it would have been had it not paused itself. Never saw that before on a DVD.
Put on your old fur coat, it's 1973

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Got to watch the first half of Jedi, not as many tweaks that I saw with this one visually, I am now pissed they still couldn't get the color right though on the ANH Jabba.  How hard is it to go in and digitally match the colors?  I mean come on...

I love being able to watch the Cantina and Jabba's Palace scene in Slo-Mo.  And I want a Hermi Odle figure :-\

Is there a new shot of TIE Interceptors flying above the Death Star????

I got to the point where Luke and Leia discuss Padme and almost fell asleep, Jedi has a way of doing that for some reason...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2004, 10:05 AM »
Did anyone pick up the new release of the soundtrack? I forgot to pick it up. There's been some confusion as to whether they are true SACDs or not... they've been listed as DSD mastered, but no one can confirm them being actual SACD discs. Weird.

Well, I can confirm they are not SACDs, but they are labelled as being DSD mastered on the sticker affixed to the outer plastic wrapping.  I picked up all three sets at a WM the other day for just over 30 bucks total (a story in and of itself), but I have only had the chance to listen to ANH so far.  It sounded really good on my headphones, but since I tend to listen to the ESB:SE soundtrack much more than the others, it will be a few days before I can say with any authority that the remastering shows any real difference in sound quality.

I guess I should chime in with the "review" of the layout and packaging of the new CD sets, just in case some of you SE owners (of which I am proud to be one) wanted to know if the packaging had been reproduced.

Overall, the packaging is similar to the Episode I single disc that Sony put out in 1999.  Instead of a booklet, each liner has a six panel foldout with the front and back cover, a two panel section with track titles, and another two panel section with the recording information (producer, engineer, etc).  On the back of each is another photoshopped "poster" with characters from each film.  The "lenticular" cover is actually a piece to itself separate from the CD liner.  The case is another slimline double disc case although it tends to be more secure than other slimline doubles I've seen in recent years.

The really annoying thing is that the discs and the back liner of the CD case have these huge and gaudy FBI Warnings on them now that are the musical equivalent of the obnoxiousness of the VHS/DVD FBI warnings.  Seriously, this is the first time I've seen these on CDs, and it made me ill.  Before long, CDs won't even have covers; it'll just be one huge warning label.

Okay, the individual discs now have new artwork that is not uniform like the SEs had.  ANH has Luke on Disc 1 and Vader on disc 2; ESB has Boba Fett on Disc 1 and Vader on Disc 2; and ROTJ has Luke and Leia on Disc 1 and Palpatine on Disc 2.  The artwork is totally unique to these releases, and none of the SE content is repeated in terms of the packaging.  Which is my key argument with the packaging.

The excellent liner notes from the SE releases are not included at all.  That was one of my favorite things about those releases (other than the obvious music), and I am really sad to see that they weren't included so that Sony could include one of their crappy "posters" in the liner notes instead.  I'm in the process of typing all these notes into a .doc so I'll still have them around, so if anyone else decides to sell off their SE sets in favor of these and still wants the notes, drop me a PM and I'll email you a copy of my typing.

The important thing though is the music and I'm happy to say that ANH does sound really good.  Thankfully, the tracks from the SE are all intact (including takes 16-20, even though they aren't listed on the cover or notes at all; people who haven't heard the SE sets are going to be confused I think when those come on), and nothing was omitted (as in no creative decisions were made to obliterate sections of John Williams' score so Ben Burtt could show us how big his dick is).  The other discs seem to contain all the tracks from the SEs and the times are the same, but I will not comment on the content until I have had a chance to listen to them later this week.

Overall, I don't feel as if I was cheated by paying 10 bucks for ANH, but the loss of the excellent liner notes and those huge ass FBI warnings really irritated me.  But, the music is what is important, and ANH sounds great.  I'll post again once I've had a chance to listen to the other two, since ROTJ seems to be the one that most people are curious about, due to the dropoff in sound quality on disc two of the SE releases.

But since this is about the DVDs, I'll comment on those...

The changes don't bother me a bit anymore.  Jabba doesn't look ridiculous, the Han-Greedo shootout is tolerable (although I still prefer Han shooting first), they corrected Obi-Wan's lightsaber, so I'm generally happy.  The only things I'm a little confused by are Luke's white saber on the Falcon, the fact that apparently R2 can project holograms of Theed, Princess Leia, and Luke with no problem, but he can't manage anything past an Atari readout for the Death Star, and the fact that they still edit the Luke and Biggs conversation really badly with the "walk-by" instead of including the line about Red Leader flying with Anakin in years gone by.

What does bother me (as I alluded to earlier) is Ben Burtt showing his jealousy yet again and dialing back John Williams' music so his sound effects can take center stage.  Those of you who have heard about this know what I'm talking about, but those of you that don't: the trumpet fanfare when the X-Wings are diving toward the Death Star in ANH has been lowered considerably almost to the point of being inaudible.  LFL claims this was a "creative decision"; I, as I said earlier, claim it is Ben Burtt showing how big his dick is.  I hope that once Episode III is complete, we're going to be hearing a lot more from John Williams on this matter.  People want to complain about Rick McCallum being Lucas' biggest yes man, but I think Burtt has been far more harmful to the prequels.

But I digress, as I've rambled on far enough.  As I said, I'll update everyone once I've had a chance to listen to the ESB and ROTJ soundtracks.  Until then, enjoy the DVDs!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2004, 12:43 PM »
It looks to me like the tv screens in the Death Star control room have been updated a little.

Also, it looks like Palpatine's throne room has a TV screen on the far right, which either was never visible in the Full Screens (the only copies I've got of the movies, unfortunately), or is a new addition. I was holding my breath hoping that the screen would show some close-up action of the battle going on outside.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2004, 06:27 PM »
I've absorbed the first three discs of my new set (had to return the first one due to the trouble with my ESB disc) and I'm loving this. The changes here aren't as shocking as the SEs first were, since they look better. A clear picture and 5.1 is pretty neat too.

I watched the trailers on disc 4, and my God, were they lame. Good to have them, though.

I would have liked to have deleted scenes on the wth disc as well, but I bet that's reserved for Lucas' big-ass boxed set he'll be putting out after Ep. III.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2004, 06:36 PM »

I had an issue with ANH disc and had to exchange the set for another.  There were two spots where the video just got hung and I had to hit play again to get it going. Only when I hit play it jumped to the place on the disc that it would have been had it not paused itself. Never saw that before on a DVD.

So I am not the only one this is happening to.  Everytime Chewbacca tries to blast everyone in the detention center, it stops.
Beth

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2004, 10:53 AM »
I've had my dvd player for about 4.5 to 5 years now. How often are you supposed to clean it (I heard there are some sort of dvd cleaner that you can buy)?

I'm having similar problems with ANH, though I've had these problems with X-Men 2 and ALIEN: Director's Cut. I even returned Alien and got another copy, only to have the same problem. I really think its my player, since when I play dvds on the Playstation2, there aren't these problems.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2004, 10:56 AM »
I heard that that problem is due to layer transfers and is going to happen on older DVD players. 

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2004, 11:47 AM »
Hmmm...might be time to upgrade.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2004, 07:58 PM »
Mine isn't even two years old yet so I figured it might need a good cleaning and I think I was right - no problems since (and I've re-watched it again just to make sure) ;).
Beth

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 6, 2004, 03:19 PM »
Just thought I would (finally) chime in with the update on the CD rereleases of the ESB and ROTJ soundtracks I promised back when I made the post near the middle of this page.  Long story short, the sound on both is not noticeably improved from the RCA/Victor SE releases in 1997.  The sound on ROTJ, which has been maligned by a lot of people, doesn't sound all that different from the RCA releases in 1997, any differences on both sets are negligible.  So, if you have the SE soundtracks, save your money because all you get on the new releases are huge-ass FBI warnings and screensavers.  Whee.  Smell the sarcasm.

So while I stand by my earlier statement of ANH sounding better than the RCA versions, ESB and ROTJ fall short of any improvements that are being bandied about.  Then again, this is just my opinion.

SilverZ

« Reply #44 on: October 6, 2004, 10:03 PM »
Thanks DoctorPadawan for reviewing the soundtracks. I'll certainly skip ANH and ROTJ since it sounds like the SE ones will do fine for me.  I caved and bought ESB before the SACD issue was resolved, and discovered the obvious disappointment. That's my lesson learned, to disassociate the DSD logo from the SACD label. I'm really surprised they didn't do at least a 2-channel high res layer on these discs, as it would have instantly made them worth a repurchase.