Author Topic: Funny Movie Edits...  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Funny Movie Edits...
« on: September 12, 2004, 10:54 PM »
Anyone enjoy good (bad) movie edits that are put onto TV? 

As I watched the A&E Special on Star Wars this evening (very good by the way), I was ******* around watching The Patriot on TNT.  TNT's shown graphic stuff before, like Andersonville (its own film), Gettysburg, etc...  I seem to recall violence in those galore.

The Patriot had HORRIBLE edits in it though.  I mean big cuta-aways with the sound left in tact...  Fight scenes which have the speed increased to a comical Benny Hill level to make the edit "fit".

I can only imagine Gibson's other spirit-rouser Brave Heart which made The Patriot look like a kiddie film in its levels of graphic violence.

Other films I've seen have really awesome made up words snuck into them to replace swearing, which really often makes for a good bellie laugh from me I know.

Anyone love watching horrible TV editing jobs though?  This is really kinda sad, but comical nonetheless.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
Re: Funny Movie Edits...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 11:25 PM »
Pulp Fiction on TV here in Australia was hilarious when put on network tv, you knew the language was coming and the edits were terrible.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 11:42 PM »
Oh man, why even try Pulp Fiction?  It had to have been like a half hour film then. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 11:06 AM »
Any Kevin Smith movie, but particularly Mallrats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are horrible on network TV.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 11:56 AM »
Scarface is pretty lousy when it comes to dubbing - the voices don't match at all.

Where'd you get the scar, Tony, eating pineapple?

SpikeTV had a really good, clean overdubbing of Reservoir Dogs. The big thing that impressed me is the characters didn't say SPIT! everytime they got mad, like a lot of older dubbed-for-TV movies.

"SPIT! I'm DYING!"  ::)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 12:00 PM »
One time we caught a little of the movie "Mallrats" on USA, if I remember correctly.  The dubbing on that was pretty funny.  If anyone has seen the movie, there is a part where Brody is describing "when I'm relaxed, I squirt"...referencing that he farts, in the edit he says "when I'm relaxed, I get sick".  Not really sure how "squirt" was inappropriate for television, but it was funny that they fixed it that way.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 06:48 PM »
Oh man, why even try Pulp Fiction?  It had to have been like a half hour film then. :)

It was practically edited down to a trailer.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 06:49 PM »
Scarface is pretty lousy when it comes to dubbing - the voices don't match at all.

Where'd you get the scar, Tony, eating pineapple?

SpikeTV had a really good, clean overdubbing of Reservoir Dogs. The big thing that impressed me is the characters didn't say SPIT! everytime they got mad, like a lot of older dubbed-for-TV movies.

"SPIT! I'm DYING!"  ::)

How am I gonna get a scar like that eating pineapple meng?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 07:46 PM »
I'll add Goodfellas.  The Pesci scene where "I amuse you" with Ray Liotta is one of the most butchered edits in film history. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 09:20 PM »
One time we caught a little of the movie "Mallrats" on USA, if I remember correctly.  The dubbing on that was pretty funny.  If anyone has seen the movie, there is a part where Brody is describing "when I'm relaxed, I squirt"...referencing that he farts, in the edit he says "when I'm relaxed, I get sick".  Not really sure how "squirt" was inappropriate for television, but it was funny that they fixed it that way.

Just listen to Jay in that movie.  OMG, they totally butchered him!  On the other hand, he's dropping F-bombs all over the place.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback