Author Topic: A&E Empire of Dreams Comments...  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
A&E Empire of Dreams Comments...
« on: September 12, 2004, 11:45 PM »
Anyone catch anything "new" in the Empire of Dreams on A&E TOnight?

I saw POte Snitkin's death for the first time ever...  I also saw a neat forward shot of the Barge when Leia kills the lights and the shudders close.

Anyone notice all the aliens running and Yakface looking just utterly confused and spinning in a circle sort of?

Also, pretty damn clear shots of Han's HOth coat.  Let the debate gain some more fuel now!

Great stuff...  Lots of cut footage.  A quick glimpse of the Luke/Biggs footage too, but not much.  Just a behind the scenes thing and it's them filming that sequence outside Tosche Station.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: A&E Empire of Dreams Comments...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 11:56 PM »
It was for sure BROWN that I saw...I mean it was indisputable

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 12:22 AM »
Yeah, and the EoD thing kinda had clear daylight shots of Han's coat it seemed...  No disputing color then if you ask me.  It looked browner than ever really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 12:55 AM »
Chewie's, "That Old Man's Mad." just rocked.

Ever wanted to know what Chewie said about Obi-Wan?  There ya have it, straight from the wookie's mouth.

Reminiscent of "Oh ****, Spaceballs...  There goes the planet", isn't it? :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 09:25 AM »
Chewie's, "That Old Man's Mad." just rocked.

Ever wanted to know what Chewie said about Obi-Wan?  There ya have it, straight from the wookie's mouth.

Reminiscent of "Oh ****, Spaceballs...  There goes the planet", isn't it?

I found that pretty funny too.  Also, hearing David Prowse doing Vader's lines on set really makes you appreciate James Earl Jones even more :P.  I really enjoyed the documentary, and look forward to seeing the "full version" on the DVD.  Really brings up the nostalgia even more, once again.  It probably sounds ultra nerdy, but while watching stuff like this (particularly about the OT), it really reminds me "boy, I like Star Wars".  Anyways, nice to see these Star Wars specials on TV....VH1 is up next :).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 09:30 AM »
I loved the shots of the rough cut they had put together too, it looked awful, it is truly amazing that the movie even made it to the big screen

I can't wait to see the whole thing next week!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 09:59 AM »
I noticed that too, and was telling my wife about it later on....the movie really looked pretty bad in those initial cuts.  I will admit, after hearing more about the troubles Lucas had in actually getting "Star Wars" out to the theatres, you have to respect that.  He has done some things wrong over the years, but to be honest, I still really thank him for getting his idea on the screen for all of us to enjoy.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 10:22 AM »
I tape it last night as I would miss it & I just finished watching it.  8)

Oh what could have been!  ::)

Kurt Russell, William Katt, Cindy Williams...  Oh, the horror...the horror!  ;D

If that ever happened, I would probably be collecting merchandise from Annie the motion picture instead!  :D

The highlight for me was the Kenner commercial on the Early Bird Envelope set & not to mention some of the other merchandise!  8)

Ahh... Memories... ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 10:25 AM »
I also loved the part about the crew seeing the final edit and wondering who had worked on it because they thought is was going to be absolutely horrible :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 11:07 AM »
Kurt Russell as Han: "Everybody relax, I'm here, Burton Solo, Han Solo...call me Snake!".  :D

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 12:18 PM »
Also, hearing David Prowse doing Vader's lines on set really makes you appreciate James Earl Jones even more :P.

I choked on whatever it was I was drinking last night when I saw that, its almost as if he intended to sound as funny as possible. I don't know how anyone was able to keep a straight face while he did all of his lines.

I really enjoyed the documentary.

I thought the scene where Vader throws Antilles was pretty cool, because he doesn't throw him at all, he just lightly sets him back down on his feet... Clean editing there - I always thought he did it in one take or something.

Oh yea and the snake/thing biting Mark H. was great.  :P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 08:43 PM »
I thought the whole documentary was very well done.  It was awesome to see quite a bit of old behind the scenes type footage.  Great stuff! 

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 11:40 PM »
If you liked the A&E presentation, just wait till you see the two and a half hour version in the dvd box set. Awesome.

Funniest part: When Mark Hammill is talking about what made him laugh, and he says that there was a memo asking if the wookie could have some pants... and he says "I though, isn't this just ******* great? Of all the things to worry about... the wookie has no pants".

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 09:28 AM »
Watched the whole thing last night...great feature, it really was.  I liked the whole thing a lot more without commercials and with the added bits and some deleted scenes (Han and Leia smooching)

I was struck by a couple of things...

#1 How stressed Lucas was during the whole thing.  I can understand why though because he was under the studio pressure on ANH and the money pressure on ESB and ROTJ. 

#2  What a travesty it was the Spielberg didn't get to direct ROTJ.  I can only imagine what it would have been instead of some of the things we got...not that I hate Jedi, the direction Kershner took Empire was very much lacking in Marquand's direction in Jedi.  And Lucas basically admits that one

#3 ILM...I felt some animosity still between some of those guys and Lucas, especially Dykstra who felt Lucas came in and took over for no reason.  Which is probably why he left ILM and started his own company.  I could feel the tension in some of his snippets and whether Lucas deserved that or not I guess is a question is between them. 

I still love the part where the guy says "Who worked on this movie?"

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #14 on: October 6, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Call me a perv, but I love the candid shots of Carrie Fisher in slave gear...  8)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram