Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2004  (Read 107875 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2004
« Reply #285 on: November 1, 2004, 05:39 PM »
How much money is being spoken of here?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 1, 2004, 05:44 PM »
Money is always an option, but we need to put in the flex position and 3 WRs to start for next season before I consider putting in cash.  Each time I look at how few starting spots I have and how many bodies I have on my roster I literally shake my head.  We need more starting spots for next season and I'd actually like to see us use the fantasy point system (which I've used in every league since I started playing fantasy sports) instead of rotisserie scoring.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 1, 2004, 06:10 PM »
We're using rotisserie scoring?

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 1, 2004, 06:16 PM »
We're using rotisserie scoring?

Peyton Manning had 18.72 fantasy points in our league yesterday.  I have him on 2 of my other fantasy teams and his point total for yesterday (in each league) was 37. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 1, 2004, 06:21 PM »
Then what's the definition of rotisserie scoring then?

I'm sure in your other league all the other point totals are proportionally high making it a wash right?

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 1, 2004, 06:56 PM »
I don't believe the way we are scoring in this league is considered rotisserie. Our basketball league is a rotisserie style scoring. Completely different that this.

That said, I wouldn't mind addition positions added, as well as a return to the way it was scored last year, or similiar to it. Where you get 1 pt per 10 yds rushing/recieving and 1 pt per 25 yds passing. The way it's scored now puts a little too much emphasis on TDs and almost none on yds gained. When a guy like Bettis can finish a game with 1 TD but only 3 yds rushing and outscores guys who finish with nearly 200 yds rush/rec but no TD, that doesn't seem right.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 1, 2004, 07:15 PM »
Then what's the definition of rotisserie scoring then?

I'm sure in your other league all the other point totals are proportionally high making it a wash right?

Why exactly would it be a wash?  It's the default Yahoo scoring system, not a customized one. 

I don't believe the way we are scoring in this league is considered rotisserie. Our basketball league is a rotisserie style scoring. Completely different that this.

That said, I wouldn't mind addition positions added, as well as a return to the way it was scored last year, or similiar to it. Where you get 1 pt per 10 yds rushing/recieving and 1 pt per 25 yds passing. The way it's scored now puts a little too much emphasis on TDs and almost none on yds gained. When a guy like Bettis can finish a game with 1 TD but only 3 yds rushing and outscores guys who finish with nearly 200 yds rush/rec but no TD, that doesn't seem right.

I think it's pretty darn close to rotisserie.  And I agree 100% on what you're saying about this scoring system.  To be quite blunt, it's terrible.  My team, which hasn't be great, is better than a 1-7 record but this system makes them a really poor team.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 1, 2004, 08:20 PM »
Being as this is my first time playing - maybe I'm just enjoying a rash of beginner's luck.

Ditto. 

I don't know enough about scoring systems to complain though.  On weeks when I felt my guys performed well, I did well.  Lately I've had some holes and my scores have reflected that with (possibly) two straight losses.  My QB's sucked both weeks, my WRs underperformed and my RB's have been under 100 yards and only a TD each, a little slow for them.  The scoring, again noting I know very little how other leagues work, has been quite reflective of my team's performance.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #293 on: November 1, 2004, 10:16 PM »
I've played in leagues where scoring TD's and FG's is the only way you get any points.  The yardage is a little off but not by much and so is having bonuses for longer TD's

This scoring system is around 40% yardage 60% TD...I don't see rewarding yardage over TD's thrown or passed as a viable option, in fact its stupid.  I've read many times that you want your scores to sort of follow what NFL scores are and for the most part they do.  I don't see why having a 230-121 score is any more fun than having it be 42-10.    Your team still sucked either way.

I'm open to adding flex players next year, I wasn't going to change the rules after the fact.  I don't want three WR, NFL teams don't "start" three receivers and that is really what Fantasy Football is about, mimicking what an NFL game is doing.  As I've said repeatedly, this scoring system and line-up is one I've been using for over 10 years with people in the league I run more than happy with the way its done.  Granted, we also play for money and pay to have a real fantasy website with live scoring and even more custom options.  That is the drawback to free leagues. 

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 1, 2004, 11:37 PM »
Gotta love it when the top 3 performers on my team - Drew Brees, Mushin Muhammad, and Lamont Jordan - are all on my bench. Fire the coach, dammit!!

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 2, 2004, 12:33 AM »
:o Holy crow! I beat the Defending Champs.

Neat. 8)

Kevin

Ah, yes. Remember that TE I still had playing in tonights game? Well, guess what. 1 catch. 1 TD. Less than a 1 pt win for me.  8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 2, 2004, 01:02 AM »
Yeah, all sorts of bastards stealing TDs from Martin >:(  Can't be disappointed in his game though.  More points for yardage please, after all, he's doing all the work ;)

Think it's time to bench the QBs in Miami and Oakland.  Just for a week.  Please.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 2, 2004, 01:45 AM »
Gotta love it when the top 3 performers on my team - Drew Brees, Mushin Muhammad, and Lamont Jordan - are all on my bench. Fire the coach, dammit!!

Hell, I'd nominate him for coach of the year!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 2, 2004, 01:45 AM »

Think it's time to bench the QBs in Miami and Oakland.  Just for a week.  Please.

I offered you up the Miami QB in trade for what it's worth...

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 2, 2004, 02:08 AM »
I've played in leagues where scoring TD's and FG's is the only way you get any points.  The yardage is a little off but not by much and so is having bonuses for longer TD's

This scoring system is around 40% yardage 60% TD...I don't see rewarding yardage over TD's thrown or passed as a viable option, in fact its stupid.  I've read many times that you want your scores to sort of follow what NFL scores are and for the most part they do.  I don't see why having a 230-121 score is any more fun than having it be 42-10.    Your team still sucked either way.

I'm open to adding flex players next year, I wasn't going to change the rules after the fact.  I don't want three WR, NFL teams don't "start" three receivers and that is really what Fantasy Football is about, mimicking what an NFL game is doing.  As I've said repeatedly, this scoring system and line-up is one I've been using for over 10 years with people in the league I run more than happy with the way its done.  Granted, we also play for money and pay to have a real fantasy website with live scoring and even more custom options.  That is the drawback to free leagues. 

Well in response to your 230-121 comment, not one league I've ever played in for fantasy football has had a score like that.  The highest score I've seen this season was somewhere in the high 80s.  I personally feel and agree with what's been said that too much emphasis was put on TDs.  Look at it this way: If a hitter in baseball goes 4-4 with 2 doubles and a triple, but doesn't knock anyone in and only scores once, you would want him to be rewarded for those 3 extra basehits in addition to his having a perfect day at the plate right?  If a receiver or back goes over 100 yards for the day but scores no TDs, you'd still want him rewarded for that and in this league there is no reward for that.  In the other leagues I play in there is a reward. 

I'm the exact opposite of you.  All the years that I have played fantasy sports for the "Big 4" sports, I've played in fantasy point leagues. 

This is all just my personal opinion based on my past experience, but I can say with a good deal of certainty that I won't play next year if this league stays the way it is.