Author Topic: 2005 Cantina Wave  (Read 29041 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2005 Cantina Wave
« Reply #75 on: December 7, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Hey I don't blame you at all Scott.

I'd be the last person to claim anyone's overreacting or something...  It sucks.  I'd probably be irate if it were on a figure I maybe was more interested in...  Not that I'm NOT interested in Dannik, but I guess the background guys get less excitement from me... 

This were an army builder though and I'd be pissed.

But I'm not happy with it either.  It's ugly, it's unnecessary, and the EU concept behind it wasn't good in the first place which is really irritating.  I think that Hasbro THOUGHT they were doing the right thing...  They weren't, but maybe they thought they were doing us a favor on this one?

Like they were at the board room and one guy stood up and said "hey, this Dannik guy has this weird face pouch with sucker things, let's make that on him and make it removable".  Everyone cheered because they thought it'd be something the weirdoes like us would like, but little did they know that the gaping holes would irritate.

If it were an articulation point that made it slightly less aesthetically pleasing, I'm cool with that.  Articulation is a feature/function any action figure should have IMO.  The big pores on his noggin' are ugly though, and just silly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2004, 02:04 AM »
And this is from the Dannik Thread at another site...

Apparantly at this site there's some folks who feel that if you complain you're living in your parent's basement, not breathing, and taking your hobby too seriously.

From that charmer, tk421.5 over yonder:

You guys need to relax....breath...yes breath in (might be kinda dank down in your basement but....) and out.

Dannik is really not bad if you leave his whiskers things on.  The third hole is for the end of the pipe to plug into.  When plugged in, he really does look like he's hittin' the bong pretty hard.  I really like this figure and he looks good in my cantina.

Why are douchebags like that still allowed to post there?  I'll never get over the trolls and how they never get a reprimand but one fart crosswise about the site or its staff and you're up **** creek without a paddle.

So how many of you in your basement complaining still feel the same way?

As TK 421.5 would always say to you all,

« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 02:08 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

SilverZ

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2004, 02:45 PM »
They'll continue to defend Hasbro as long as they are kids who don't have any experience in the world and sincerely believe that large corporations will simply stop making a product because someone isn't pleased with every minute detail. At least they have a home on the net that isn't here.

I finally picked my case up on Wednesday. Overall these are nice additions. Good background filler. I like Myo the best. The knee articulation is such an advancement over the old hinged joints. To get BG characters with this much articulation is a pleasant surprise, but I would be gushing if they gave them elbow articulation to match.

So yeah, the Dannik thing is really weak. With every step they take towards better articulation and sculpt accuracy, they seem to have this pining urge to do something ludicrous. It ruins the figure. That being said, he's such a generic background character that I don't feel the need to get too worked up about it. But it is a shame, I think.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2004, 06:48 PM »
I think the guy does have SOMETHING of a point.  I looked at the pictures of Dannik Jerriko.  Was the idea for this figure a good one?  Yes.  There's a little bit of backstory about it, and it's kind of interesting.  Was the execution of that idea good?  No.  Hasbro should have scrutinized the piece more and come to the conclusion that sans-snouts, the piece looked poor.  They didn't come to that conclusion and we have to live with the end result.  It's really that simple.

I can understand people being upset about this figure, but not to any sort of extreme.  Say your piece on the message boards and Hasbro will get the message.  They do read what gets written in forums.  Where matters like this turn absurd is when people complain, complain and complain about the item, and then turn around and buy it anyway since they're "completists".  If you are really upset with it, you should exercise your free will and don't buy the piece in question.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2004, 07:41 PM »
These are available at www.toysrus.com now for 6.99

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2004, 12:18 AM »
Point well taken Nick, I can live with the holes but it was a stupid move, the rest of him is well done.  I'll continue to hammer home the point that for the most part, EU should be left in the books and comics and keep figures as screen accurate as possible

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2004, 12:47 AM »
Where matters like this turn absurd is when people complain, complain and complain about the item, and then turn around and buy it anyway since they're "completists".  If you are really upset with it, you should exercise your free will and don't buy the piece in question.

My "completism" doesn't allow me "free will"...   ;)

Yeah, Hasbro messed up what would've been an otherwise great figure, by going out on a limb and adding what they thought would be a little something extra that we'd enjoy.  Nice thought, but just poor execution.

Perhaps, if they wanted to get that creative with a rather unique and specific head sculpt, they should've gone "Dagobah Luke" on us, and tossed in a "regular", non-holey noggin for ol' Dannik as well.

But someone over at Hasbro should've considered the fact that most collectors would want a "film accurate" Dannik in there Cantina dioramas, and thus would be removing his extra facial appendages there, and then they should've noticed what that would leave us with...  Some big, nasty, gaping holes.

Oh well, like Nick said, we've just got to live with it now.  A few more final gripes are warranted though, as folks are just now finding this figure at retail.  Hopefully some talented customizer can fix a Dannik up for me though...  *cough*Jesse*cough*   :-*

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2004, 01:51 AM »
I can live with this guy. I much more excited about Myo and Trevagg anyway. It's the mooky aliens I like! :D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2004, 03:24 AM »
I'd disagree that TK has a point...  Ever.  Aside possibly the one adorning the top of his head. 

The irony is nobody in the thread in question is "irate" or expressing any anger as if they're hyperventilating.  It's just the fellow's typical "Shut up and quit complaining" attitude which is about as helpful to the community as people who post-pad, or give mis-information, etc.

I think the complaints, even if repeated, gain more notoriety...  The point is hammered home.  I think overreaction's saying you're quitting the hobby because of it, or really throwing a tantrum.  Simple displeasure/dislike and being irate over something you dislike are two different things though, and there in lies the fine line.

Should people not buy it?  Well, to me the better question is whether people get a Dannik Jerriko apology figure then if they don't.  May not be likely, so those wanting that character in plastic are left with a decision that's not so simple as, "Voice your opinion by not puchasing it because that's how you'll get your way". 

I think most of us want a Dannik figure simply because we want one, and I doubt they redo him ever, so many will compromise on buying the figure, even with the displeasure, so I welcome those complaints from them.  For those people (and for the completists, whether their collecting style is "right" or not), the forums are the only way to beat a point home... 

And in the end, complaining about people's opinions about a toy line on a message board (one devoted to talking about said toy line) is nothing but baiting and condescending.  Disagreement is cool, but when people are condescending about it and simply telling people to "shut up" in their own subtle way, then they've overstepped bounds...  TK's the old master of that over yonder.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2004, 03:31 AM »
I'm all for complaining.  It seemed to work well for the Saga Hoth Han figure, didn't it?   :D

Regardless of Dannik's shortcomings, I'm really excited about this entire wave of Cantina figures.  Part of a dream come true for me, as the Cantina is my absolute favorite Star Wars environment.  So to get 3 more obscure backgrounders out of Hasbro is a-ok with me!  Now if they'd just make one more wave with Arcona, Bom Vimdin and a Tonikka sister or two, I'd be in heaven.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2004, 04:24 AM »
I'm living with Dannik's looks too...  To me I just figure I'll fix it on this one.  I think it's the people who "can't" (Matt, you can, you're just lazy, don't lie) who have the greater gripe here really....  Deep down I feel it's within everyone's grasp to fix it, but nobody should "have" to either...  But it's nothing terribly difficult if someone wants to.

Either way, it looks like crap though so it sucks and many people won't attempt a fix because they're not confident in their ability to do so.  That makes it a bigger deal to them I'm sure.

I'm to the point I feel Dannik turned out to be the worst of the 3, which sucks for me since he was the most wanted of the 3 for me, but I'm gonna "live with it" too Snively. 

Ironic you mention making the swappable heads Matt, because I thought the same thing when i first saw it.  Theoretically it would've been less $ to have done it that way.  2 molds instead of 3.  Whatever though...

I dig his hookah though, I think that's cool looking.  Not enough pipe smoking figures these days.

At this point, Myo's my #1 just because he was my #2 before...  I dig the gotal too, even without a holster.  Nice reuse of the Bespin gun too though on him since it gives some blaster diversity to the Cantina dudes.  I dig that.

With Dannik's passing I'd like the Arcona to be done now, Bom Vimdin and his nifty tunic, and actually an Evazan resculpt would be creeping up on my list given the facial detail they captured on Dannik...  What they didn't screw up with the holes is actually really accurate.

Evazan's maybe due now, especially since I now know where he's sporting the holster and his blaster's all done up nice and new.  :)  I'd dig seeing him get some justice as a figure.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2004, 12:40 PM »
Well, I can certainly understand everyone's frustration.  I just happen to think that the best form of protest in this instance is not giving in to the collecting bug and making a statement monetarily.

I think if you're going to compromise and buy the thing, you do have options.  I would consider buying two.  One I would keep with probosci in place, and on the other one I would remove the offending protrudences.  I would then fill in the holes with sculpey and do a repaint of the head.  Not a very difficult solution.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2004, 03:01 PM »
Fifty bucks says Bantha5 casts the head with no holes. That should fix the fig for a lot of people.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Saw this wave at Toys R Us today so they out at retail now too!  Which means we might see the Preview Wave fairly soon...which then means there will be a good three month lull in figures ::)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2004, 06:44 PM »
On the main page it said they were at Walmart too - also at $6.99?  That sucks... and I thought that Walmart never had .99 prices - usually ending in .74 or .84 or something a few nickles less than the competition.

:P